I'm from the City of Heroes

HeroGamer

I'm from the City of Heroes

Postby HeroGamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi everyone. New forum member, long time SoH follower, and a serious City of Heroes veteran here.
I never played the CoH beta, but I did play CoH every single day it was online for the entire life span of the game. (I think it was 8 years?)
My daily game time average probably came out to be about 6 hours a day. Many many days I was on for up to 16 hours at a time.
Even if I was really sick or if it was a big holiday (like Christmas), I would still sneak away to my computer to "ping" the server and watch my toon materialize before logging out. I had a LOT of online CoH friends. It's all long gone now, but I'll . . . . "never forget".

I can see now I'm not alone. I think there is new hope for all of us now and all
we can do now is patiently wait for the dawn of a new age, our second super-hero age.
I sincerely hope I get the opportunity to play a major role in the SoH community.

Respectfully yours . . .

:)

Blaze Rocker

Re: I'm from the City of Heroes

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Welcome HeroGamer. Glad to have you aboard.

Please share with us the server/s you most frequented and some of your favorite characters.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

HeroGamer

Postby HeroGamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Welcome HeroGamer. Glad to have you aboard.

Please share with us the server/s you most frequented and some of your favorite characters.
Thanks Blaze.
My global handle was Kendall Crisis. For my first 6 months I was on Infinity server, but soon felt like the population was too low for me so I moved to Freedom for the next year. Freedom did have a huge population but I occasionally felt bullied/harassed there so I then moved on to Virtue for the remaining years and months the game was online. I would rather not give out any of my toon names here, but I will tell you that I only played female toons and I was almost always a member of large, mostly female super groups, including but not limited to "Justice Girls".

:D

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good time on Freedom server. After migrating from Infinity after about a year or so from game launch I landed on Protector server. Over the years a lot of us tended to refer to Freedom as "Freedumb". I don't remember if there was ever a reason stated for this but I always thought it was funny. :D
If your experience was any indication of the type of people on Freedom then I'd say it likely earned its nickname all on its own.

If you don't feel like revealing any of your character names that's fine. Based on my own experiences I'd say that the majority of players were male while the majority of characters were female. I tended to play females while I still played a few males when I had a concept I liked: Johnny Geo (Captain Planet knock-off tanker), Harbinger of Moo (human-bovine hybrid tanker) and MenacingTrouserSnake (human-serpent hybrid scrapper that only wore a shoulder cape and a pair of pants) whose name was eventually generic'd, likely because someone got jealous that I was getting away with the name. :P

Since you were on Infinity for the first six months the game was live you may have seen my catgirls Monticor and Cheetax or my first troll character Sara Trollkin. I can't say what it was exactly about Infinity but that server never really felt like home to me. Not long after playing on Protector everything just felt "right" and that's mostly where I played until shutdown. I logged in to Infinity off and on in the later years but despite it being the same game the whole server just felt alien to me and I always had the urge to leave the few characters I had, "log the hell out" and get back to where I belonged. I'm sure you had a good time on Virtue but had you ever come to Protector I'm certain you would have been welcomed there. Bullies and turds usually got a bad rep and didn't stay long.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 pm

I was on liberty myself, but I loved the guys and gals on Protector. it was my second home. admittedly I did try and kill them off. :shock: :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

HeroGamer

Postby HeroGamer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:25 am

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good time on Freedom server. After migrating from Infinity after about a year or so from game launch I landed on Protector server. Over the years a lot of us tended to refer to Freedom as "Freedumb". I don't remember if there was ever a reason stated for this but I always thought it was funny. :D
If your experience was any indication of the type of people on Freedom then I'd say it likely earned its nickname all on its own.

If you don't feel like revealing any of your character names that's fine. Based on my own experiences I'd say that the majority of players were male while the majority of characters were female. I tended to play females while I still played a few males when I had a concept I liked: Johnny Geo (Captain Planet knock-off tanker), Harbinger of Moo (human-bovine hybrid tanker) and MenacingTrouserSnake (human-serpent hybrid scrapper that only wore a shoulder cape and a pair of pants) whose name was eventually generic'd, likely because someone got jealous that I was getting away with the name. :P

Since you were on Infinity for the first six months the game was live you may have seen my catgirls Monticor and Cheetax or my first troll character Sara Trollkin. I can't say what it was exactly about Infinity but that server never really felt like home to me. Not long after playing on Protector everything just felt "right" and that's mostly where I played until shutdown. I logged in to Infinity off and on in the later years but despite it being the same game the whole server just felt alien to me and I always had the urge to leave the few characters I had, "log the hell out" and get back to where I belonged. I'm sure you had a good time on Virtue but had you ever come to Protector I'm certain you would have been welcomed there. Bullies and turds usually got a bad rep and didn't stay long.
I really just felt Infinity server was just a barren, hollow space. I think Infinity's population compared to Freedom or Virtue was extremely low. Like, there were some people there, but I felt no sense of community. I think during my 6 months on Infinity, I knew two people on Infinity. Thinking back now, I kind of hate I stayed there so long.

The harassment i experienced on Freedom wasn't constant or all the time. It was like, one person in every one hundred or two, that I ran across and in most cases it did not last long because I would leave the team they were on and/or block the person sending me messages. So it wasn't really bad, but it was bad enough for me to wonder if another server might be a bit more friendly. I think these disturbed individuals on Freedom were just casual gamers (perhaps just passing through) who were probably not permanent residents. A couple of times when I left a team (because of someone being mean to me), the leader would kick the offender, then re-invite me. I would return to a team declaring their friendship for me and their disdain for the offender. It was absolutely a bonding moment. New friendships formed. It's moments like that, made me cry happy tears. It's movements like that I'll never forget.

Virtue should have been called "Utopia". It was about as close to a paradise world as I could imagine. Who knew there could be world where most of the time everyone is happy. Don't get me wrong, there is always some level of 'drama', but in the big picture those moments were few and insignificant. To say I had a good time on Virtue is definitely an understatement. I had the time of my life.

:D

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 pm

I was on Liberty, Virtue, and Justice mostly, and the only griefing I saw was when the occasional uber level weiner would go through the map nuking every mob in sight. Unless you call spamming the text and tells from the Gold Spammers, as griefing.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

longtallbrad

Postby longtallbrad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi everyone. New forum member, long time SoH follower, and a serious City of Heroes veteran here.
I never played the CoH beta, but I did play CoH every single day it was online for the entire life span of the game. (I think it was 8 years?)
My daily game time average probably came out to be about 6 hours a day. Many many days I was on for up to 16 hours at a time.
Even if I was really sick or if it was a big holiday (like Christmas), I would still sneak away to my computer to "ping" the server and watch my toon materialize before logging out. I had a LOT of online CoH friends. It's all long gone now, but I'll . . . . "never forget".

I can see now I'm not alone. I think there is new hope for all of us now and all
we can do now is patiently wait for the dawn of a new age, our second super-hero age.
I sincerely hope I get the opportunity to play a major role in the SoH community.

Respectfully yours . . .

:)
Really glad you're here. I miss CoH more and more as I start to spend more time in these forums, so I can't help but be hopeful that SoH can approximate that quality of good community.

Return to “Introductions”