Who Were You in City of Heroes?

4d4plus4is4d8

Re: Who Were You in City of Heroes?

Postby 4d4plus4is4d8 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:08 am

I played a lot of different characters because I mostly enjoyed just messing around in the game as a solo player. I started getting into fairly hardcore group play later in life after I'd moved on to other MMOs.

I tended to create either people in mechanical suits, or cute, evil little clowns - I would always start out thinking I was going to do something completely different, but one small, incremental step at a time my template would drift towards one of those two concepts 90% of the time. Not identical characters every time, but a different-looking iteration of one of those two themes.

I was also a fairly early beta tester, I think just by random luck because I didn't have any special qualification that would have made them pick me out of the crowd. The same thing actually happened to me with Star Wars: TOR (fill out those beta-test sign up forms, kids!)

I made one contribution as a beta tester that ended up being in the game - originally when you clicked on an NPC, they would talk about something you had recently done, like "Hey, did you hear that 4D4whatever recently defeated the Orange Vest gang in Crime Alley?"

The idea was that you'd feel like you were being talked about by the citizenry.

My feeling was that I already know what I've done - what if they tell me something some other superhero recently did in this zone, instead? To make me feel like I'm part of a real world in which things are happening, and make other heroes famous to me rather than making me famous to the NPCs and myself. And by inference, I'll know that I'm becoming famous to other people, who are being told stories about my heroic deeds.

I posted that suggestion in the beta forum and it popped up in the very next build and ended up being a permanent part of the game.

I didn't see anyone else on the forum with that idea, so I really think I gave them an idea that hadn't occurred to them, and ended up working for the game. It felt pretty great :)

But as a player, I never made any mark because I didn't really tap into how much fun it can be to play in a team until I played WoW.

I have a string of PVP Rogues that are legends in my mind, with some amazing stories that the other people involved would probably remember as well as I do. But my memories in COH aren't so much of the identity of individual heroes as much as they're abstract memories about the fun I had creating them, and trying out their powers, and just feeling like a superhero in a world.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:25 am

Welcome aboard.

The pedantic mathematician in me hates your name, btw :) I spent five minutes trying to work out some way it could be true, until I decided you were just trolling us numberphiles :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

4d4plus4is4d8

Postby 4d4plus4is4d8 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 am

Welcome aboard.

The pedantic mathematician in me hates your name, btw :) I spent five minutes trying to work out some way it could be true, until I decided you were just trolling us numberphiles :P
heheh, it's a play on words - if you say it out loud it sounds like you're saying "44+4 is 48."

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 am

Welcome aboard.

heheh, it's a play on words - if you say it out loud it sounds like you're saying "44+4 is 48."
Well, in response to that, all I can do is leave you with this limeric:

(12 + 144 + 20 + 3√4) / 7 + (5 x 11) = 9^2 + 0

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I made one contribution as a beta tester that ended up being in the game - originally when you clicked on an NPC, they would talk about something you had recently done, like "Hey, did you hear that 4D4whatever recently defeated the Orange Vest gang in Crime Alley?"

The idea was that you'd feel like you were being talked about by the citizenry.

My feeling was that I already know what I've done - what if they tell me something some other superhero recently did in this zone, instead? To make me feel like I'm part of a real world in which things are happening, and make other heroes famous to me rather than making me famous to the NPCs and myself. And by inference, I'll know that I'm becoming famous to other people, who are being told stories about my heroic deeds.

I posted that suggestion in the beta forum and it popped up in the very next build and ended up being a permanent part of the game.
I loved that detail in the game! Thank you so much for making Paragon City feel more alive. I hope something like this will show up on the Ship too.

Ghearweb

Postby Ghearweb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:41 am

Oh WOw havent played the game really since it was first released................. I was, if remember right gadget and weapons......been a while

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:18 am

A dozen, a gross and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Is nine-squared and not a single thing more

(I want to know how long this took someone to work out - making a valid mathematical equation that can scans as a limeric is nuts).

4d4plus4is4d8

Postby 4d4plus4is4d8 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 am

A dozen, a gross and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Is nine-squared and not a single thing more

(I want to know how long this took someone to work out - making a valid mathematical equation that can scans as a limeric is nuts).
I googled it immediately, sorry :)

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Well 4d4...

Ill just call you 48
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:09 pm

I googled it immediately, sorry :)
I meant the original construction of the limerick, not the figuring out what it meant bit :P

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Who was I? Good Question. I was the guy who spent most of his time on the forums apparently. Authored the Moon Hazard Zone, and the stalker report - where I was trying to kill off the protector server pretty much a protector only thread. was mayor of the forum games section through an election and hostile takeover, proprietor of he corner store. and ran the hurt and heal contests, Ran on liberty, while I had a few other characters I ran 99.9% of the time on my invulnerable Ice Tank Golden Ace. maxed out his wealth 3 times and would transfer it all to an alt. I was very rich.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 am

I never maxed out my main tank, actually didn't know you could. When I got the numbers where I thought it was ridiculously high, I also transfered it, but not to an alt, I'd give it away to who I felt were deserving toons. I'd go off and randomly select folks to talk to and play with for a bit then decide if I was going to give them any. I also felt very rich :-D

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm

I never maxed out my main tank, actually didn't know you could. When I got the numbers where I thought it was ridiculously high, I also transfered it, but not to an alt, I'd give it away to who I felt were deserving toons. I'd go off and randomly select folks to talk to and play with for a bit then decide if I was going to give them any. I also felt very rich :-D
That is what was so great about our community.

I still say we had the best community. I have high hopes for this one.

lol

story time.

I recall one low level heroine who was begging in atlas park. I was mostly indifferent to beggars but her story got my attention. Her husband went out to save the world and fight the Hamidon threat and perished leaving her to fend for her three children all by herself. How the kids needed help, and how she was in debt because of having to pay for all the damage her husband caused while stopping a bank robbery?.

she was much more detailed and interesting that what I wrote, but that's the gist of it. I think I gave her a few hundred thousand for such a unique story. Those poor kids. :-(
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

BlazingCoconut

Postby BlazingCoconut » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm

I should say hi as well.

I played in City of Heroes on Virtue and had several characters that I enjoyed.

Little Flame,
Russian Joule
Painted Lady

Were probably the ones that I played the most. Definitely loved the game and am looking forward to seeing what vision this team has. While I doubt too many people remember me, I was active in the RP side of things on Virtue and loved the setting and possibilities that the game offered. Happy New Year and hello!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Glad to have you aboard, BlazingCoconut. It's looking to be a good year for development. :)
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Return to “Introductions”