Preferred game question

GladDog

Preferred game question

Postby GladDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 pm

I've played all of these except Secret World Legends (I won't ever play a Funcom game ever, ever again) and Eve Online - I like space combat games and I like PvP, but I don't like living in a constant PvP environment.

I liked several things about Black Desert Online and Final Fantasy XIV, particularly the graphics. FFXIV is especially well made. But I had a lot more fun playing SW:ToR than the other two put together. Besides the IP, I just liked the game. However, my gaming buds changed games, and I followed them out.

So yeah, SW:ToR got my vote!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Nephthys

Re: Preferred game question

Postby Nephthys » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 am

Black Desert, without question. The game is amazing and the dev team continues to pump out an astounding level of support.

The only I can't stand about that game is the auction house. I find trying to buy things from other players to be a completely enraging experience, and it's what keeps me from playing BDO full time.

Happy Thoughts

Postby Happy Thoughts » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:21 am

My vote may not be a great data point, as I have only played half of the games listed on today's poll (Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, and Secret World).

I chose Secret World because I enjoy the story that the missions tell, the character customization (in terms of abilities, not just appearance) is fantastic, and the combat is fairly active without requiring the reflexes of a circus ninja on speed boost.

My second choice would have been Star Wars: The Old Republic for the main story missions, but the combat system there is rather ... vanilla.

The thing that turned me off of World of Warcraft when I reinstalled it recently to play with a friend was that to do dungeons you had to have a large group (well, assuming you're not raid geared and godlike). Few things make me uninstall faster than forced grouping.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

Well of the games listed I played Star Wars the Old Republic, Final Fantasy XIV, and World of Warcraft. WoW I quit on my own after they changed paladins again right before legion. I only left star wars and final fantasy because the friends I was playing with left for other games. it was a toss up for me between Final Fantasy and Star Wars. chose star wars. Currently not playing anything spending my time badge hunting in Paragon Chat
Last edited by Golden Ace on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Vanishingpointe

Postby Vanishingpointe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am

This was a somewhat hard poll to answer, having played all but Secret World and WoW. I went with Black Desert, even though I played it the least for the sheer depth of activities available. Not only that, but all of the activities had rich and varied, but most importantly, fun mechanics (for the most part). I was honestly more of a miner and manager than I was a combatant. When I did do combat, it was satisfying and fast. I like how I often had to change my approach for different enemies.

I played SWToR for the longest, but mechanics outside of combat were fairly limited, but I did enjoy the "remote crafting" and general utility of the sidekick characters; probably would have enjoyed it more if you could queue them up for multiple actions. The actual action of the game was nicely paced, but didn't really require me to switch up my approach very often.

FF14 was... interesting. I enjoyed the crafting, but it was nerve wracking, as it was easy to mess up. The combat didn't really rile me up. Lots of clicking, not much reaction from enemies besides occasionally falling over dead. I quit FF14 after completing the main storyline because I absolutely despised the writing — some NPC always swooped in and took credit for my character's accomplishments, rendering me a mute errand boy/meat shield.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:07 pm

BDO

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/305 ... evenue.php

This is today's mmo, the action mmo. Tab targeting appears to be going to iphones, etc. MOBA are also huge.

Ah man, lol, here I go again.... You guys are my bros, all of you. CoT and SoH. However, there is one thing whcih puzzled me. My biggest disappointment was how every single successor went the way of tab targeting. I truly, truly feel, if one successor took the action route, it would be on everyone's radar. I understand they want CoX players to feel nostalgia, but former CoX players are not enough, which is why VO and SoH did not meet their KS goals imo.

WoW will always exist because it is WoW.....But BDO's combat had U.S gamers salivating for years. This is the type of action which speaks for itself. I do think SoH and CoT have struggled to make a huge imprint because mmo gamers have become more action oriented. They want flash. I truly feel CoT took a more action route, it would have done Star Citizen numbers (Ok, maybe not lol).

I am still team SoH though, just speaking on what appears to get mmo gamers attention now and days. BDO will not be doing these numbers if they were tab targeting.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:28 pm

This game is a successor, or tribute, to City of Heroes, as is CoT and VO. Since City of Heroes was tab targeting, that is what all these games feel was the preferred system. Also, the primary game that most people went to after CoH shuttered was SW:ToR, which is a tab target game as well.

As a primary tank, I would prefer tab targeting. This keeps you on your main target even if you are knocked down. While it is likely that SoH (and probably CoT) are going to mainly be games that don't require trinity players, there will be times (AVs and Signature Villains for example) when going to a trinity formation would be best, and tab targeting is the way to go in that situation. Will that be enough time to exclude action targeting? I don't know, I have not yet played the game.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm

I understand the successor part, I just disagree with the premise in regards to the game-play. Not sure if any old tab targeting game could make an imprint. Obviously if any successor had the IP of a popular sci-fi title, it would gather interest. Imo, tab targeting is working against the successors. Just my opinion. Unless they had a popular IP.

Just an opinion, I still invested in the SoH cause.

Angel Phoenix77

Postby Angel Phoenix77 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Out of all of these, there are only two games listed that I have played. And they are Swtor and tswl, if it was just Secret World, then that game would have gotten my vote, but since it was Legends I had to vote for Swtor.

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 pm

I prefer tab targeting. I have found action based games feel like you're soloing even when in a group because working together just isn't there. Everyone is zipping around on their own, focusing on avoiding taking damage and trying to smash in as much dps as they personally can.

Especially as a healer and buffer, it feels like trying to herd cats. Getting heals to land on people in an action game is a nightmare.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 am

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:29 am

:lol:

Yeah, precisely.

I mean, I love BDO, don't get me wrong. But even in full groups, it feels like everyone is soloing together. Even on my heal specced witch, I'm not really healing. Gave up on healing long ago because no one stays still or even worries about remaining within range/line of sight for healing. Not that anyone even needs healing, because they're all packing pots and dodging attacks on their own. I have yet to play an action game that isn't like this.

If you want teamwork and group dynamics, you really need a tab targeting game.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 am

Your response was much better than mine. I was just going to shout KITTENS!! and leave it at that. need my caffeine
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Grazer01

Postby Grazer01 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am

Playing Skyforge at the moment.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm

I didn't answer that question because I didn't really like any of the three on that list that I have actually played.

• I tried BDO and it seemed ok. Was sort of fun at the start but extremely grindy and the open world pvp once you reach a certain level put me off.
  • I tried WoW briefly. It just didn't gel with me. I really disliked the cartoony characters and I never really felt at ease playing it for some reason.
  • I played The Secret World for a while, didn't get around to trying 'legends'. Levelling was a nightmare with huge difficulty spikes but I very quickly got bored of the endless puzzles and the incomprehensible skill wheel. Maybe most of those have been fixed with legends but I don't really feel like trying it again.
Haven't tried any of the others.
Eve I'll pass on, it's that dreaded pvp thing again - hate it.
I'd like to give Final Fantasy XIV a try one day
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “Polling Discussion”