Solo or Team question

GladDog

Solo or Team question

Postby GladDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 am

While I love running around in diverse teams, I also like running solo. So I'm usually up for anything. One thing I love about soloing is that if you run into a street menace that a bunch of players are trying to wonk, you can join in without any problems!

Once I was flying through King's Row on my Inv/SS tanker to get to a mission. I was working on my 2nd incarnate slot, so my character was pretty tough. And then I saw a scene below, a Snow Beast GM surrounded by a bunch of low characters, 5-12, what you would expect for KR. Actually, there were a lot of dead bodies, people rezzing, and others trying to take him down. No one was tapping a foot waiting for me, so I dropped down and took agro. If I had been on a team, I would have had to pass, but I really had a lot of fun taking down that Snow boss with them, so that was a situation when I was soloing led to some fun teaming.

Bottom line, teams are fun! But so is soloing...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Happy Thoughts

Re: Solo or Team question

Postby Happy Thoughts » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 am

I enjoy gaming with friends--my most memorable and enjoyable memories from other games were in team situations. However, there are times where it's either impractical for me to team up or I'm just in a solitary mood. It's important to me that a game is able to support both modes of play.

One thing I really liked about City of Heroes was the way instances scaled to party size. This had the effect of letting characters play through their missions without requiring teammates, while adapting the challenge level to the increased number of players so that missions were still exciting for groups.

In regards to grouping dynamics, I hope the "tank/healer/damage" trinity model is not applied here. I've played too many games where tanks and healers were required to run (non-raid) content. I'd much rather experience the model of City of Heroes, where any two (or more) characters could team up and do missions, regardless of their archetypes or roles.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

back in the early days of CoH I started going /hide a lot. mostly because every time I would log in I would get a dozen tells asking to join a team, or if I was on a team and it wasn't full the requests would be if they could join, and while it was nice to be wanted I got tired of it and just wanted to do some soloing and not be bothered. thus /hide. it allowed me the time to keep sappers from overrunning and taking control of CoH, and spend uncounted hours working on my base.

I'm with Glad dog on this. Sometimes I just want to solo, other times I want to team up. and in truth I made many a good friend in CoH through teaming. I still have occasional contact with them. things kind of drifted apart after a few years of no CoH to keep us bound together.
Last edited by Golden Ace on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:17 am

Teaming is one of the foundation pillars and i love to team , when on a team i rarely play a tank and i am comfortable with being a damage dealer ...
that said i don't like teaming with a team where the tank would do more damage that the damage dealers !

And one last thing ... I love soloing for its the time when i can learn how to play my toon ... and as i lvl'ed i had to spend solo time for each new power i earned so when i did team, i'm a valuable contributor.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 pm

I like soloing and team play. I try and have a diverse set of toons and am more than willing to switch out to what ever is needed for a well rounded team.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 pm

I like soloing and team play. I try and have a diverse set of toons and am more than willing to switch out to what ever is needed for a well rounded team.
Yup that's me as well. :D

May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Blue Djinn

Postby Blue Djinn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:16 am

I enjoy gaming with friends--my most memorable and enjoyable memories from other games were in team situations. However, there are times where it's either impractical for me to team up or I'm just in a solitary mood. It's important to me that a game is able to support both modes of play.

One thing I really liked about City of Heroes was the way instances scaled to party size. This had the effect of letting characters play through their missions without requiring teammates, while adapting the challenge level to the increased number of players so that missions were still exciting for groups.

In regards to grouping dynamics, I hope the "tank/healer/damage" trinity model is not applied here. I've played too many games where tanks and healers were required to run (non-raid) content. I'd much rather experience the model of City of Heroes, where any two (or more) characters could team up and do missions, regardless of their archetypes or roles.
BUMP!!!!

That whole thing about the trinity!! Bah and HUMBUGH. There was nothing more fun than a mix of trollers running through missions. CoH had it nailed with that "forget everything you know about group play" thing. I could play any character pretty much any way. With that type of play everyone won. Min max? Sure! Wacky builds? Sure! I did both and found the game had something for everyone. I seriously need these guys to follow that model.

It was just awesome.... hate the trinity... didnt even like it in pnp DnD (and we are talkin first edition folks)

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 am

I agree with the "No trinity" game play for normal missions/story missions...but for anything like a Task force or Raid I think a trinity setup is a MUST!!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:39 am

I agree with the "No trinity" game play for normal missions/story missions...but for anything like a Task force or Raid I think a trinity setup is a MUST!!
Nah :)

I mean, for those missions you're probably going to get a good mix of characters naturally anyway, but healing was never a big deal in CoH anyway since buffs were so potent, and that offers way more variety in gameplay anyway.

Out of interest, why do you feel requiring the classic trinity is a must for raids, etc.? What is it about that setup you would prefer over a more generally synergistic setup where anyone can contribute and help?
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:54 am

Normal missions (story missions ) I believe any class should be able to complete solo. But task forces / raids should be challenging enough to require them. I understand you could probably run a bunch of support classes while spamming smaller heals (Radiation / Radiant aura for example) but high burst damage healing would be a problem.

One of my favorite classes to play was an Empathy healer. No attacks...just great heals /buffs. But...99% of the time I played with my two sons ...one was always a tank...while the other a blaster of some type...so for the harder content a healer was a must. (for us at least)

I have played games without the need for the trinity...and they lacked excitement for me (guild wars)...they seemed to easy.

Sorry for not responding earlier...been busy. :D

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am

This is actually a tough question, for me at least. My first toon in CoH was an empath defender and it couldn't solo anything worthwhile - at all. That's why I eventually ended up with a controller main.

In CoH empath defenders had very little damage output. Blasters, on the other hand, did a lot of damage with no real healing while controllers had the best of both worlds. As a result, it was very rare to see empath defenders. There was, frankly, nothing that an empath defender could do that wasn't better done by a controller. I did like my controller but I really wished I'd been able to play my defender more often, And that's the basis of the problem. We really don't want to end up with a game full of one archetype.

Balancing for teams can make soloing a boring annoying event while balancing for solo players makes team missions trivial. I don't envy the devs trying to sort that out ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm

It is a tough balancing act.

But...ask yourself this..Most of us will be old COXers...(sounds funny...but we will go with it)..we will want something challenging at endgame. The story missions / leveling missions need to be solo/newbie friendly...and they were in COH. But with every mission being "everyone with any group makeup can do it" will get old fast.

Im craving the old COX feeling as much as anyone....but Im also wanting something to keep me around...other than nostalgia.

The difficulty (fun) of Task forces did that for me. But personally...I never did raid...so I cant comment on those.

Blue Djinn

Postby Blue Djinn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

One of the things that kept me going in CoX was the fact that the HOLY Trinity was destroyed. True I see your point on the basic UO Tank Mage problem, but it was nice to get away from the "Lets dump the tank cause his build sucks " complaint; even it was only for a while.

I would say let the game compensate for the variety of builds and play style. If they can scale for level with rewards and such, why not have the AI scale for a group of tanks or what ever, in all their incarnations? If you are a solo healer, perhaps the game can scale to make it so you do damage by your self, but up your healing in a group, and slide back your damage?

Im a casual player, I don't min max, I don't study charts... I get hives just thinking about reading stratics or doing research on defeating a boss. I hate re-running missions so that I KNOW them by heart. Im a tourist, often getting left behind because I am looking at the great work that the artists have done. Im sure my builds suck clockwork farts, but

I ENJOY PLAYING THE GAME. Cause at the end of the day, I dont want a second/third job. I want to relax. eat some popcorn, have some laughs and blow something up!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 am

And see, this is why I asked :)

What you actually want is for TF and raid content to be difficult. Unfortunately other games have basically trained a lot of people to assume that means you /must/ have that trinity. But that doesn't mean it's the only way of making content a challenge.

CoH didn't work like that, and from what I've seen, SoH won't either.

Content can be difficult without requiring specific powersets or mix of abilities. Difficult can, and should be in how players use their powers, how they're slotted, that kind of thing. That is, difficult as relates to player ability, not team make-up.

You don't need a tank if you have enough buffs and debuffs to increase everyone's resistances and/or decrease the incoming damage. Likewise you don't need healers if no one is taking damage, and you don't DPS archetypes if your damage and enemy defenses are likewise increased and decreased respectively.

But playing that way does require you to use those buffs and debuffs on the correct targets, at the right times. And that's where the difficulty should come from. Game knowledge, and good decision making based on that knowledge.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Harpospoke

Postby Harpospoke » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Agree with most here.

I liked to do both. I had a bunch of toons and they filled all my moods. Scrappers felt more fun as solo artists. A Tank was for teams. Most of my Controllers were for teams but I did have the one Fire/Fire Controller for the times when I was in the mood to farm a map for the fun of "orange numbers". I did both with Blasters. I was kinda fun to try and solo with a AR/Dev Blaster. You gotta plan carefully! Takes forever to finish a mission but still fun to draw a boss onto a hallway full of traps that you set up.

And that "holy trinity" thing too. I liked that you could work with almost any combination of ATs. I used to run all Controller teams and that was a blast. Same with all Blaster teams.

But at the same time it was pretty cool to have a couple of really hard things that required a carefully built team. I felt like everyone had a specific job to do and that's fun too.

Return to “Polling Discussion”