Today's Poll Question

Lazarus

Today's Poll Question

Postby Lazarus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:15 pm

I was wondering, does anyone else like playing different roles when doing solo stuff than when playing on a team? I do, but I was sort of curious to see if anyone else was like that or not.

scope creep

Re: Today's Poll Question

Postby scope creep » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:07 pm

In CoH, my favorite ATs were dominator and blaster (mainly doms once they could play blue-side). They worked equally well in solo or team play.

Solarverse

Postby Solarverse » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:01 pm

I prefer any DPS class when playing Solo...but in a team situation, I love playing any support role...just whatever goes with the theme of the character I am playing.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:52 am

I would love to see a Dominator type class. This was my all time CoHV favorite class to run solo (I'm not much of a teamer). Mastermind would be cool as well.
Last edited by Styrj on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 pm

In COH/COV I had tons of alts, a few were favorites that I soloed with a lot, a few were for teaming up with certain folks and a few might be mission oriented or origin oriented. - all from a school of gifted mutants or all from an undersea kingdom, etc.

So when I wasn't soloing, it was all about having fun with the folks I was with rather than racing to see how fast I could raise in levels. I think I had two characters who made level 50 and the most of the rest were between level 15 and 35. Those mid-levels in many ways were the funnest levels for me. The higher levels always seemed like just grinding to me.

TheKid COH

Postby TheKid COH » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes I would usually have different heroes when soloing vs teaming. My first hero was a Ill/Storm troller which took ages to lvl up to 50 but in the end it ended up being one of my most powerful if not the most powerful hero on my roster (had over 20 50s in the end). I would usually solo with a scrapper, my first scrapper was as BS/DA and it took 1/4 time to lvl up. When teaming I always provided a hero that was needed at the time.

As most of you I think this game looks extremely promising, the character creator is spot on if not even a little overkill.

TheKid
Defiant

Digitizer

Postby Digitizer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Same here, I had some characters specifically designed for teams and some characters specifically designed for solo.

Freelyx

Postby Freelyx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

I was more of a PvE solo player. I joined SG's and played on teams too, but I built the heroes I wanted to play and didn't worry about how good or bad they were on a team. My characters for me to enjoy the game.

That said, I was a huge Alt-A-Holic. I had more characters on servers than I was able to remember. A lot of the time, I would log in and think, 'Today I want to play "X-Hero", and then had to log in and out of several different servers trying to remember where I created him.

Malice Johansson

Postby Malice Johansson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Finding the perfect archetype for both solo and team play is always an adventure. I tended to play Defenders and Controllers from the outset, and neither leveled particularly well solo. On teams though...my god that's a dynamic no other game has effectively replicated.

The closest I got to having one perfect archetype were the villain ATs, particularly the Dominator and the Corruptor. I did love a good Brute though. Before that I soloed with my Defender (Storm/Elec - such a fondness for Stormies) as I found Blasters (and Scrappers) too one-dimensional and Tanks and Controllers had too little damage, generally. Villain ATs being made available to heroes changed the game for me, for the better in every respect.

My only 50s were a Controller and a Dominator. The Controller was my team-only character and the Dominator was my Solo/Team character: control with damage! So yeah, I guess ultimately I did use different ATs for different things.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 am

I would add a note here for those who really liked Dominators. We are thinking of changing one of our class names, and replacing Blaster with Devastator. First, we like the name more. But second we have always said that the starting ranged damage class in SoH would be damage/buff, not damage/damage. This is one of the changes we intended from the get-go, so that our ranged damage class would not end up with 15 attack powers but with reduced ability to solo.

I had both Blaster and Dominator Incarnates. I always thought that the Blaster was forced to take too many attack powers that were rarely used, so hopefully we will be changing things for the better. Dominators, by comparison, had non-damage powers similar to some Controllers, and therefore represented a very fun option. Devastators would not be Dominators, exactly, but rather something new. Hopefully new and fun.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:02 am

I had one level capped Blaster and swore I would not do that again. Corruptors were so much more fun to play. I liked Dominators as well, and I think a Dominator would be a better add-in class than a Controller. Making a Devastator more of a Ranged/Support and a Dominator as a Ranged/Control would work really well in the game IMO.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Malice Johansson

Postby Malice Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm

I would add a note here for those who really liked Dominators. <snippage for brevity>
This sounds amazing. Even an archetypal Blaster like Cyclops is known for far more than just incinerating things. He is a leader and a fighter and a tactician (not sure how you'd replicate that in game in a satisfying way though). Even Human Torch, Dazzler and Dagger have signature supplemental abilities unrelated to shooting things.

The ability to pair blasting with control or buffs and your commitment to making even a Blaster (Devastator) better rounded is heartening. My one played Blaster was Ice/Ice because she didn't need a team as much as all the others I tried out. The control helped her solo and was a welcome addition to any team. =)

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes I would usually have different heroes when soloing vs teaming. My first hero was a Ill/Storm troller which took ages to lvl up to 50 but in the end it ended up being one of my most powerful if not the most powerful hero on my roster (had over 20 50s in the end). I would usually solo with a scrapper, my first scrapper was as BS/DA and it took 1/4 time to lvl up. When teaming I always provided a hero that was needed at the time.
Almost exactly my choices too :) My scrapper was DM/Reg, but exactly as you did, I used her for solo primarily, and brought my ill/storm 'troller out for teams. And of course I had a variety of tanks and defenders if teams wanted.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:24 am

I played COH from beta thru the very last second. I played 7 days a week, 2-10 hours a day. I played zero other games during those years. The VERY VERY best game ever.

My very 1st alt was a defender. He was a healer/electric ranged. He made 50 and I ended up with at least 5 level 50s on every channel. But my very favorite were masterminds. They were easily the best to solo. Loved tankers best while teaming.

The game really took off for me when COV came along. I spent 90% of my time on that side.

It's critical to me that there are masterminds (pet controllers) in the game.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 am

Archangel,

In Ship of Heroes you'll notice two things about pet-controlling classes like you described. First, we have not promised to deliver them at launch. This is for the simple reason that we are highly allergic to promising more than we can deliver. We need to control the scope of the initial launch of the game. Many games have gone off the rails by trying to deliver too much at launch, and never finishing all that they promised.

The second thing is that we already have a name posted for the pet-controlling class -- Commanders. and we actually have a set of pets planned internally.

Like you, I had a couple of level 50 incarnate masterminds in COH. I still remember doing an all-mastermind ITF on the Justice server. If was great fun, once I accepted that lag was a feature, especially in the valley of death.

So we want to get there. We (and I) understand. I think you're going to be happy with what we deliver in the end.

Return to “Polling Discussion”