Alternative Combat question

GladDog

Alternative Combat question

Postby GladDog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

I like alternative stuff. While combat is the most important thing, the other stuff (securing bad guys, being stealthy, etc) is fun too. Not as a combat substitute, but rather a bit of seasoning on the roast beef. That said...

This is something we don't need for a while IMO. If we see a little at the first major patch, a little more on the second, and then a little more later... that would make me wildly happy.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Kid Rad

Re: Alternative Combat question

Postby Kid Rad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:36 pm

I would love it. But not for every mission. It would be good to be able to talk your way through things or figure out a puzzle like solution to a problem. You should get equal xp for this, but miss out on powers enhancements and the majority of item drops that you would get from defeating baddies. Which I guess makes a disincentive from doing these sorts of things overall. But perhaps these sorts of solutions can result in badges and other status based rewards, and open up unique mission lines that you cannot get any other way. This would be great for end game content especially.

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

I would probably never play another MMO again if this was done. I love it. Please let it happen. MMOs have been promising this for years and years, and none deliver on it.

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:54 pm

I like it. But I don't want it to become more dominant than combat. Changing things up during a series of missions = variety. it adds complexity and strategy especially when it affects the outcome even if only in a small way. Perhaps the net effect is not a drastic one but more like some better loot can be had by following the more difficult path? And maybe it's just a chance and not guaranteed?
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:30 pm

I think detective missions would be great but shouldn't replace combat.

Also, didn't CoH let you skip most of a mission through invisibility anyway when soloing?

Shieldwolf

Postby Shieldwolf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I would love a mix of the types of missions we have. Combat and 'defeat the bad guys' is fun, but I can also as easily enjoy missions that never involve fisticuffs. I played Secret World for a bit and it had this aspect to some of their missions and it was great for a change of pace.
Virtue server, Dawn Patrol SG
Crimsonstar
Chain Lightning
Lady Victoria

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Love the slap and spank mission with a good team... and i would absolutely love a clue , talk , or persade mission ... and a badge for complete'n those cirtain types of missions yes ... YES ... YES but take your time dev's and do it slowly and right...

love to go into a mission with a couple of team mates and threaten a low lvl PVE and tell that bad-ieee if they don't give up well take them down...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

ScottJackson

Postby ScottJackson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 pm

I chose the "all in" option, as it best fit my wishes, and I feel much like the posters above me.

I think the right balance is around 50% to 90% of the speed of advancement (XP, currency, and drops) compared to traditional combat missions.

Not necessary for launch, can be slowly added over time.
The poll included a nice list of diverse gameplay options to fit the mood of the moment.
I enjoyed stealth and speedrun challenges in CoH (but not for everything).
Take care not to let one way become the dominant strategy...for example, give nice xp and drop chances from all spawns, not just end-of-mission rewards. Give balanced rewards for both street-sweeping and missions, etc.

Greyhawk

Postby Greyhawk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 pm

I've been playing "The Secret World Legends" recently. The depth and variety of missions is astounding! The depth and detail of the storyline is stunning. However, several of the missions are nearly impossible for me to complete. I don't build characters to handle mass attacks, and several critical missions are entirely developed around mass attack survivability. Because of how the powersets work, it is not difficult to create such a character and so far I've held my own in most encounters, but on far too many occasions I have had to be 3-4 levels above the mission in order to complete it. Another concern is that may of the "sabotage" missions require an extreme level of stealth, but there is no real "stealth" ability. The assumption is the player will use terrain and obstacles to obscure the line of sight from enemies. Most of the time, this works quite well and makes for very challenging missions. Once in awhile, however, the enemies have severely overlapping zones of awareness requiring every player to use exactly the same path and timing. This is boring and annoying. In every case, I have found the mission impossible to complete without consulting online walkthroughs and player guides to learn the exact path and timing sequence.

Puzzle missions come in two types: those that require notetaking and those that require internet searches. The notetaking is actually a nice feature. The ones that require internet searches are made possible through the use of an ingame browser, but the ingame browser is slow and has few features. The one aspect of puzzle missions that I find most annoying is that I often discover clues and hints before I find the mission contact, nonetheless, once I find the contact and take the mission, I have to go back and revisit the clues and hints I've already discovered! This is most annoying. I love missions that require discovering clues and hints inside the game, but if I discover the clue or hint ahead of time, it would be nice if my character "remembered" the discovery.

Alternative leveling and/or mission completion through negotiation, trade, crafting, etc., is an idea that fascinates me. However, this would be extremely difficult to program, which is why no one has included it even though every new development team that comes along talks about how they would like to incorporate it into their game. If SoH becomes the one game that breaks through the technical hurdles and makes it possible to progress through some alternative to combat, that would definitely put them at the head of the pack. There are many players, like myself, that would love to see missions which could be completed through something other than combat. Negotiation, trade, crafting, and gift-giving are skills we all must develop to survive out here in the real world. It would be nice if game progress found ways to incorporate these skills as either supplements to combat or replacements for combat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

Return to “Polling Discussion”