Auction House question

Eulb

Re: Auction House question

Postby Eulb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I have a question for all of you --there's not wrong answer -- but how long do you think it takes us to specify, design, code, test, install and de-bug an auction system?

I ask this question after seeing the poll results which suggest we need the auction house about 6 months after launch. There were a lot of smart comments and suggestions on this subject.
Hello Consultant I Vote 6mo to a year .... after crafting is worked out for things to sell .... or give away to Newbees...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:06 am

For me it is definately not a priority. Your poll did not have the option "not needed at all", so i clicked 18 months.
Oh my MY .... Pyrion my ears are not beliving the words coming out of your form ..... " not needed " ooooh my gosh....
Yes the place to sell your crafted Items ARE needed for the game and play ... interaction with other players and yes for those who want to solo a lot

before COH closed i made enhancements just to give away to newbees ... just to build community...and it was just fun to just give away and watch there chat box light up with joy .... don't miss out on that part of the game Pyrion ... its just fun...
I would have picked not needed too if there had been the option. You do not need an auction to trade with other players.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Did anyone want to hazard a guess how long it takes to develop an auction house? I'm intrigued -- you guys know quite a bit about games and you can guess development times. How long to create that function, rather than when do we need it? and we do need it -- harvesters and crafters need it a lot, and regular players can benefit from it since we plan to have temp powers and similar that you can craft and use.

POSSUMNUTS

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a question for all of you --there's not wrong answer -- but how long do you think it takes us to specify, design, code, test, install and de-bug an auction system?

I ask this question after seeing the poll results which suggest we need the auction house about 6 months after launch. There were a lot of smart comments and suggestions on this subject.
You seem to have an amazing group of developers. It would probably take a month or 2. I'm sure that the community would be excited seeing it in the game within the first 12 to 18 months.

ScottJackson

Postby ScottJackson » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:48 pm

It depends heavily on how complex it's made. A functioning auction house could range from...

simplest possible system:
1. A window that opens from anywhere in the world with a keypress (UI design work).
2. Players can post an item or stack for sale at a set price (no bidding, buyout price only) for a fixed period of time. Item for sale is temporarily stored outside of player inventory, and must be held there or emailed back to the seller if the sale period expires.
3. Search for item type and/or name, sort by name or price, select item, click to buy, item moves directly from auction storage to buyer's inventory, currency is subtracted from buyer and added to seller. Requires logic to prevent item movement if no space is available and stop purchases for which buyer has insufficient funds, but these pieces of logic should already exist to handle inventory overflow due to drops, and purchases at NPC shops.

complex system, with everything in the "simple" version, plus:
4. "Physical" auction houses spread through the world - these need 3D work to place, may require power suppression regions, etc. *
5. Ability for seller to not only set a "buyout" price, but a minimum bid, auction duration, and bid increment. This adds a lot of complexity, such as email notifications that your bid has been outbid by another player, and logic to track current bid and bidder, then award the highest bidder at the end of the sale period. *
6. Ability for buyer to place bids for items that are not currently for sale. This requires a decision on whether such bids are to be secret (CoH) or not, and if not, whether a seller can choose to sell to a particular bidder or if they must sell to the highest bidder.
5a/6a. Implementing [#5, #6, or both] requires some email scheme or temp storage for purchased items, since the buyer may not even be online when the transaction occurs; it could piggyback at least partially on whatever was used for #3.
7. Advanced search and sorting functions for price, item subtypes, usability by "class" and level, seller name, time until sale expires, etc.
8. Lots of indicators to help guide pricing, such as last 5 sales (as in CoH), rolling averages, and min/max/median.
9. Math to apply transaction fees and/or posting fees.
10. Bind-to-account or bind-to-character logic after some number of trades. *
11. Some auction houses allow trading of currencies and cash shop items, including event tokens and the game's microtransaction currency.
12. Probably a lot more that i'm not thinking of at the moment.

I'm not in favor of certain * ideas I've listed...just noting that they do exist in some games.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 pm

As above, it kinda depends on how complicated you make the whole procedure, but if I was being asked to size a project like this up (I'm senior developer at my company, so this is one of my common responsibilities) I reckon it would take 3-4 months at least to get in the required amount of testing. This is something you'd want absolutely bullet-proof, considering the effects on players if it went wrong. Ideally broken down into minor projects (ie. break the epic up into various sprints, for those familiar with Agile terminology) with a bunch of integration testing at the end.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 am

The shear time to develop an auction house well ill venture to say 9-18 months or more

But... ill just be happy with what is presented to us to play and i'll be happy

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 am

Eulb, you may be right. We're looking at this feature, along with a bunch of others. What we do is to try to figure out generally what's involved, how long it would take to develop code and art for it, How many man-months are involved, when we need to add it, and then work backward to see when we need to start.

As a small team, we can't do everything of course. But this kind of planning is important. I thought you guys might want to think about it too, just for fun. :)

The auction house is a good example because it is kind of a stand alone feature set that everybody understands pretty well. We can have a good game without it, at least for a while, but it does add helpful complexity to the game.

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm glad to hear my estimate was excessive. I assumed other things may push back the timing for an auction house. The auction house should be solid whether it is simple or complex in design. Because it is the game economy. I recall selling wings recipes for tens of millions of influence when they were rare. And those were just costume pieces.

But I'm with Eulb! I'll be happy with what is presented for us to enjoy. 😀
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 am

I would definitely want it as a feature eventually, but definitely not a priority. I think I voted 6 months, but that was my way of saying "whenever you get to it". So if it takes a year or longer to get right, that is fine with me.

Web

Postby Web » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:47 am

Probably not necessary at launch, but definitely needed down the line.

Van Allen

Postby Van Allen » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Auction house is neat, BUT I saw too many during CoH/CoV to cling to it and abandon everyone and everything else.

Game like this IMHO should be focused on the maps, players, missions, ... The look, the feel, the powers not some marketing store.

But it's a needed system for a major game to be competitive in modern game-sales but shouldn't be a huge priority for release.
What Are Dominators. "Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm

i believe not at release... but at a later patch for the craft-er in all of us...

Return to “Polling Discussion”