You should be temporarily punished
No votes
You should be lightly punished
20%
You should be heavily punished
20%
You should be really heavily punished
No votes
Your character should get a chance to be deleted when dying.
No votes
Your character should get a badge of shame for dying
20%
Your character should be deleted when dying period.
No votes

Total votes: 5

happydolphin

How punishing should death be?

Postby happydolphin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:17 pm

You shouldn't be punished at all for dying
You should be temporarily punished
You should be lightly punished
You should be heavily punished
You should be really heavily punished
Your character should get a chance to be deleted when dying.
Your character should get a badge of shame for dying
Your character should be deleted when dying period.

You should specify what is lost like dust (currency), experience etc. Maybe you run back as ghost to give you the burden of running all the way back?

I would say you should lose dust (currency) for dying. In other games you get durability loss and have to repair it by paying for it. That and getting a temporary debuff that weakens all your stats that lasts a few minutes could be a good idea maybe a run of shame as well from spawn point.

lunawisp

Re: How punishing should death be?

Postby lunawisp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Don't know to be honest. I'm not a fan of being punished for defeat. The problem is that when you get defeated it's usually because you're taking on something difficult. If you then get a debuff or health loss as a result, that's effectively made it even less likely that you'll succeed next time around so there's no incentive to try again. This could really hurt teams if people would rather just abandon ship than try again.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:29 pm

If there is a punishment for death, I think it should be in prestige/reknown (how you are perceived on the ship) if that is something on the ship. Your reputation would be hurt for dying. Probably not much or at all for low levels but more for higher levels.

However, I think there should be consequences for how you resurrect. If you use a potion/device to resurrect yourself, I think you should get full health but no endurance. If someone resurrects you, you get 3/4 health and 1/4 or 1/2 endurance. If you decide to go the hospital, you get full health and endurance but lose dust. If you resurrect to your base, you get full health and endurance with no loss of dust. The amounts are negotiable, but I think you get the idea. This would be in addition to your reputation damage.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm

If there is a punishment for death, I think it should be in prestige/reknown (how you are perceived on the ship) if that is something on the ship. Your reputation would be hurt for dying. Probably not much or at all for low levels but more for higher levels.

However, I think there should be consequences for how you resurrect. If you use a potion/device to resurrect yourself, I think you should get full health but no endurance. If someone resurrects you, you get 3/4 health and 1/4 or 1/2 endurance. If you decide to go the hospital, you get full health and endurance but lose dust. If you resurrect to your base, you get full health and endurance with no loss of dust. The amounts are negotiable, but I think you get the idea. This would be in addition to your reputation damage.
Nice ideas. The townies have to talk about you too.

"Oh hey it's Golden Ace, did you he got the crap beat out of him by the Red Sigil?"

"Yeah, I hear they cursed him too."
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:51 pm

lightly punished, badge of shame.
I'm not a fan of death punishment that causes a major setback.

-let the npc's talk smack
-do XP debt like CoX did
-deletion should not even be a possible option, we will lose players over that for sure
-death punishment should NOT be extreme enough to make players afraid to push themselves.
-death should be lightly punished to make people on teams have a little respect for the rest of the team, ie "if he wants to run off and solo, I can't reach him with heals, and I'm not ditching the rest of the team to try" and he dies, maybe he will learn the error of his ways.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:38 am

I don`t like the word "dying" in combination with super heroes. If they suffer a defeat they should be slightly punished or maybe temporarely. I could imagine a 12 hour cooldown where you can`t use this hero. So you would have to play with an alt. If your become short of heroes you have to play more carefully or doing easier missions.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Return to “Polling Discussion”