Number of Costume Sets Question

GladDog

Number of Costume Sets Question

Postby GladDog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Keep in mind that SoH has a huge leg up on CoH when it released, as well as a huge lead on DCUO, as it has a lot more freedom at designing basic body shapes and faces.

That said, there needs to be a pretty good variety of stuff. CoH released with about 12 sets, and maybe another hundred individual pieces, which most people thought was amazing. If all we were getting was complete sets that we can mix & match, then 15 would be a good number. I think 10 would be fine if there were individual pieces as well, maybe 50-100.

This will be the centerpiece to attract old CoH players, it really needs to be good! Yes, we know it will get better, but it has to have a real sizzle factor with former CoH players when the game releases.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Re: Number of Costume Sets Question

Postby Eulb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Play ... for me is FAR more important than a set of exteriors ..... i'm positive that we will have an opportunity for changing our out fits later....

BUT I do know that there are those are who are looking for the " costume creator " so they can dress out there toon first ..... you Dev's got to satisfy who you need to ... so ill go with what you decide.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 pm

I don't think the game should be held up to add more costumes slots myself. I can throw mine in the washer every night after a good crime fighting session.

ScottJackson

Postby ScottJackson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 pm

The diversity of the sets matters as much to me as the number of sets... 10 sets could be enough if they're all quite different and some individual pieces are offered too. However, if even 20 sets of slightly different tights costumes are all we have, that would feel very limited.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 pm

I don't think the game should be held up to add more costumes slots myself. I can throw mine in the washer every night after a good crime fighting session.
Hey Country is your washer an old fashion top load ... Front load .... or ... say... the new Ion -- bombardment closet ????

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 pm

I NEED TO PLAY........ASAP! I don't care if I have to fight bad guys in jeans and a tee shirt for year! Just let me play! Please............
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Hey Country is your washer an old fashion top load ... Front load .... or ... say... the new Ion -- bombardment closet ????
Good old scrub board and clothes line for me! :-D

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:32 pm

We're watching this poll with keen interest. While opinions are a little split, it has been pretty consistent that about 75% of people think ten player costumes or less will do it for a launch.

Regardless of how many costumes we have, there will also be street clothes for those who want to garb their characters in blue jeans or shorts...whatever.

And you can mix and match costume pieces from different sets with other clothing items.

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:35 pm

My main plan regardless of costume slots and pieces/sets at launch is reroll as many characters of mine as I can, reclaim their names, and put them in civilian clothes at first.

Then as they progress I'll work on the costumes.

That being said though, a robust costume,character creator will help launch the game.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 am

I don't understand why you need to have lots of costumes at the start. Of course we all want to have them later on, but for my first toons.... well, i can always change the costume later. But let me play in the mean time.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:26 am

Looks like we all stand on the ground that we don't need the clothes at first to make the hero ( man ) , but well need them later

Greyhawk

Postby Greyhawk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 am

I am beginning to worry about every time-based poll being dominated by the "Just publish it already!" crowd. It has been my long experience that this crowd jumps from game to game faster than Superman leaping tall buildings.

Besides, after the 2016 election all forms of polling are suspect...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 am

Hey ' Grayhawk " i'm looking at your posts and see .... " you say I've posted it " I see your ahead of the curve and that shows greatness in my opinion when one comes up with something before everyone else .... your on the right track....

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:40 am

I am beginning to worry about every time-based poll being dominated by the "Just publish it already!" crowd. It has been my long experience that this crowd jumps from game to game faster than Superman leaping tall buildings.

Besides, after the 2016 election all forms of polling are suspect...
It's a hard balance to walk. After years of non-starters in this arena, people are understandably eager to see something arrive, if only to have something to throw at the nay-sayers.

However, as you say, a lack of patience isn't a good basis for a long-term interest, and if what arrives is lacking then it will only add more fuel to those who say the dream will never come true.

So far the devs have shown a decent restraint in doing too much, but have very definite ideas of what needs to be included.

Regarding the actual question, this is one of those situations where I would want to see a bit of time spent. I know it's tempting to say that you don't care what your character is wearing, you just want to play but if you don't care about how your character looks it's only a small step to not caring about your character, and then not caring.

Being able to describe the character's back-story, and have a unique and personal look added a great deal to the experience of CoH, and was a massive contributing factor to the investment those of us who played it felt. SoH needs to support that, or there's no point to this endeavour.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 am

Perhaps I can add a bit of context here. Internally, before this poll question, we have had a significant debate over the number of costume sets we are aiming for, at launch. We always planned to have a selection of regular clothing, and to allow mixing and matching, as well as enormous colorizing possibilities. So we have always known that some kind of calculation of the possible combinations would yield a number so large, as to become nonsense.

But those numbers are not that enlightening. If we say there will be a billion billion billion possibilities that may be technically true, given all of the color combos, but inevitably some costumes and some "looks" will be more popular than others.

We often make new costume combos for internal tests, just to try out the CCT. [It's kind of fun]. In doing this we have determined that many of our dev team tend to take pieces from sets and then recombine them, and after that we choose colors and patterns. This suggests to us that the number of distinct costume sets is a kind of a proxy for having the beginning critical mass to make every character unique.

Apparently COH started with about twelve sets. We plan to start with a bit more. It also matter how many distinct art styles are represented in the costume set designs. We're going to be showing some new styles in the next few months. Diversity is a strength.

Also, remember that this is not a game being funded by a hugely successful Kickstarter. We can only afford to do so much before launch. So we need to pick and choose and make the funds we do have count as much as possible. The idea of delaying launch until every possible element of the game is hugely built out and perfected is not really on the table. I read once that SWTOR had nearly 3,000 people working on it the day it launched. We'll probably be in the range of 15-20.

But we are going to get it done, and it's going to be good. :)

Pretty often in games, what you see early is what you receive at launch. Sudden upgrades at the end are actually quite unusual. Particularly if they need to be across-the-board visual quality improvements. This is because it is not much more difficult to make something really well, compared to making it poorly, if you know how to do it in the first place. But if you make it poorly, it is very, very complex to reverse and make it look good at the end, particularly if you let it slide, and don't fix it at once.

That's why we put such effort into getting a costume creator out early that we could demo for supporters and the press.

Return to “Polling Discussion”