Delay for Pet Handler AT question

GladDog

Delay for Pet Handler AT question

Postby GladDog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 am

ZERO!

I would rather see the game launch and then, with income and a paid staff working on it, develop a proper Commander (Mastermind) class. Also, take the time to really make it good. A great variety of pets, a wide choice of commands, and a well thought out secondary set. I think almost everyone on these forums wants to see high quality in everything you put out, and are willing to wait for that.

The secondary sets for Controllers are still up in the air, but I think they will end up being a blend of Controller and Dominator style powers, which is awesome. Whatever secondary style you come up with for Controllers should be the same for Commanders. That saves you a ton of work, and it also means that a Commander who is waiting for the recycle to finish on hjis pets still has some offensive capability other than the wimpy blaster we all get.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

JestersGhost

Re: Delay for Pet Handler AT question

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 am

Yeah, I like the idea of Masterminds, but I dunno - never enjoyed playing them in CoH. So, yeah, don't hold th game back on their account.

Though I imagine GreyHawk might feel a little differently :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:26 am

I agree. CoH launched with just 4 archetypes and then slowly added more. There is no problem following this same formula. I think I speak for most when I say we just want to be able to play a good superhero MMO again. I had fun with CoH at the beginning and just grew to love it more and more with each expansion. Since I started looking into these new projects and joined the forums, the hole left by the shutting down of my favorite game just aches so much more. I think getting the foundation right first is the most important thing and then you can expand.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 pm

I agree. CoH launched with just 4 archetypes and then slowly added more.
Shirley you meant 5, right?

Greyhawk

Postby Greyhawk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of Masterminds, but I dunno - never enjoyed playing them in CoH. So, yeah, don't hold th game back on their account.

Though I imagine GreyHawk might feel a little differently :P
You know me so well! :lol: :lol: :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

Greyhawk

Postby Greyhawk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:18 pm

I agree. CoH launched with just 4 archetypes and then slowly added more...
Was it four or five? Either way, this is true, and valid, and a good point. However, CoH marked a paradigm shift in how MMORPGs are designed. Well, at least it should have. Unfortunately, no one has followed their lead and so we are stuck with variations on the theme created by Ultima Online, which in turn was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons. Everything that makes up the vast majority of MMORPGs (equipment-based stats, level progression, resource gathering, PvE and PvP both, the very existence of GMs) was first brought into existence by Gary Gygax who loved "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" so much he was desperate to find a way to be a part of Tolkien's imaginary world.

The only real departure was City of Heroes. Even Champions Online has fallen back on equipment-based stats.

And, as a result, there is now a group of players out there who have tasted the potential and crave more of it. The real question that remains unanswered is how many of us are there? Are there enough of us to support 2-4 new games based on the CoH paradigm? If so, then it's all good.

But if not...

The more complete Ship of Heroes is when it launches the better chance it will have of surviving. I'm sure, after investing all this time and money into creating it, Consultant and his crew would really like to see it succeed. Can it succeed by offering a minimal game and then slowly adding features?

Before much longer, we are all going to find out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:48 pm

OK it was 5. It was a long time ago and I'm old. You do make a valid point regarding the competition and that a game with less content may be at a disadvantage. I must say that SoH probably has the most realistic release prediction, where with the others, we don't know or maybe are skeptical of the date of release. I will probably try all of them to find out which one is going to bring back that CoX feel with some new excitement.

Shieldwolf

Postby Shieldwolf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 pm

I notice that people voted as "prioritize" for both pet handler and crowd control classes.

Basically the player base is going to vote EVERY class as a must have, Come on folks, you need to be realistic and allow some compromises on release.
Allow them to get maybe ONE of them out at release and work on the other(s) in six months.

Best way to delay release is by being inflexible and demanding it all now.
Virtue server, Dawn Patrol SG
Crimsonstar
Chain Lightning
Lady Victoria

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:58 am

This would be, depending on design choices, my favourite A/T. However, I would rather have a core game launch sooner with four A/T than have a delay because of a MM type included at launch.

broxen

Postby broxen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:52 am

I notice that people voted as "prioritize" for both pet handler and crowd control classes.

Basically the player base is going to vote EVERY class as a must have, Come on folks, you need to be realistic and allow some compromises on release.
Allow them to get maybe ONE of them out at release and work on the other(s) in six months.

Best way to delay release is by being inflexible and demanding it all now.
I agree with this.

That said, the concerns I have about releasing ATs after launch relate to game mechanics and balance. Not only for PvE but future PvP.

Communities often struggle with balancing changes done months after they've grown accustomed to their characters. Introducing two potentially powerful ATs months into launch may reveal glaring deficiencies in game mechanics. It can be difficult to anticipate the effect different team, AT, and Powerset combos will have on gameplay without real testing.

While clear communication can help ease those changes, having a clear vision for the interplay between ATs and Powersets from an early stage can prevent major nerfing. This is especially critical if the Mob Groups function on the same base mechanics (math) as players.

My hope is that if they decide to release the game with fewer ATs, it's done with a formalized design in mind for these future ATs and how they may impact Team PvE, Solo and PvP play.

With these concerns in mind, I voted for a 6 months delay.
-Broxen

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 am

I voted zero delay.

I really enjoyed playing my Masterminds and Dominators. Being a diehard solo player, you had to think about how you would about go about running certain missions. I also enjoyed power customization in CoX.

However, for now, I believe the focus should be on getting a high quality game out the door. Then, via patches and expansions, add content to the game whether it be in the form of fixes, new archetypes, travel powers (I'm thinking Super Jump) power sets, general quality of life fixes, etc.

Once people see the quality and dedication you devs put into this game, I believe SOH has the capability to draw more and more players as word of the game is spread. Devs (unlike NCSoft), please give this game proper marketing so word can get out. It has the potential to far surpass any superhero game out there. Just my personal thoughts. I will be a day one subber.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am

Never played a MM but I agree that I'd like to be able to play something that doesn't focus on the traditional group requirements... ie: people not wanting to group without a healer or tank.

Some of the most fun groups I remember playing in were crazy DPS combos like Scrapper/Scrapper/Blaster/Blaster/Controller ones.

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 am

Plus I think the MM is a more complicated one to add (this just being my ignorant non-programmer background). If you include developing a selection of pets, and some in the forums want to customize their pets. It just sounds like it would take a lot more work.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:06 am

I dont think anything should be delayed for a single powerset. However, getting a game out asap can be a doubled edged sword. Too many missing features could hurt a game. One missing power? No.

Patience is key in development. The biggest impression is the launch. Would a SoH with a variety of classes do better than one with a limited amount? Would a SoH with more levels do better than one with a 20 cap? Will a game with more to do have a better launch than a game with a limted amount of activities to do?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 am

Necro'ing the old post on this subject. As I stated before, I want to see Commanders in the game, but I would rather wait until the game is released. With the resources available at that time they can make a BETTER Commander class and get it in our hands FASTER than if they delayed the game to include them.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “Polling Discussion”