PvP at launch question

GladDog

PvP at launch question

Postby GladDog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 am

I'm fine if PvP is delayed. I like PvP, but it is not the main thing I play games for anymore. Even a year after release is fine with me.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Greyhawk

Re: PvP at launch question

Postby Greyhawk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 am

I guess by now everyone knows how I feel about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 am

I guess by now everyone knows how I feel about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All games should cater to people like you in this aspect. Most people play MMORPGs for the PvE experience. Some like PvP, like me, but I am in it for the PvE. So to exclude guys like you, Greyhawk, is not the most financially sound decision!

When they do PvP, I would love it if it was faction based and restricted to specific ship levels so if someone wants to avoid PvP it is as easy as not going to that level! I, on the other hand, will go to those levels at least 4 hours a week, because it can be a blast IMO.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 pm

I'm not a fan of pvp. I know why developers like pvp, it means they don't have to keep working on developing new content for pve but it causes problems in mmo's.

Most games I've seen that have both pve and pvp have major balance issues. With monsters being multi-million hitpoint damage sponges in order to give pve players an challenge, the powers necessary to defeat these monsters become overpowered in pvp and are complained loudly about. The powers affected then undergo balance changes. Those pvp based nerfs inevitably start to affect pve and players who have no interest in pvp now start to to complain about being underpowered. It never ends.

Unless pve and pvp can be totally seperated, including powers, I don't particularly like to see it in mmo's. That creates other problems though, of course. Lots of more work for the developers.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Codex

Postby Codex » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:54 am

I'm not a fan of PvP.

I might not be remembering this correctly but when CoH started to implement PvP, they had to try to balance the classes. This led to enhancement diversification which made a lot of players mad and took away the ability to feel like a superhero. On the Triumph server, there were protests in AP and I know a bunch of people who quit the game.
Last edited by Codex on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Backer 68

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:56 am

If you must have PVP (either at launch of as part of an expansion), please keep it completely separate from PVE (absolutely no open PVP (game killer for me)).
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:25 am

Team PVP in a capture the flag or last one standing type of play could be fun later down the road.

broxen

Postby broxen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:21 pm

I've said this elsewhere, but I personally feel that GW2 nailed PvP in so many ways. Something akin to that would make me very happy.

I like the level-normalization. I like the king of the hill mechanics. Being able to take over control points that feed resources back to your major keeps.

It's really something to take a long look at and build upon or improve. It's a great PvP system that minimizes griefing, and is completely voluntary.
-Broxen

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Most games I've seen that have both pve and pvp have major balance issues. With monsters being multi-million hitpoint damage sponges in order to give pve players an challenge, the powers necessary to defeat these monsters become overpowered in pvp and are complained loudly about. The powers affected then undergo balance changes. Those pvp based nerfs inevitably start to affect pve and players who have no interest in pvp now start to to complain about being underpowered. It never ends.
This is why I want PvP to be considered, even if it's not in at launch - I'm a firm believer that being able to balance for PvP well makes the game better for PvE - I've said before, I know, but CoH had important issues with it's underlying mechanics that didn't become properly apparent until PvP was introduced. This was because the mechanics were designed without PvP in mind.

It is much harder to do, I acknowledge, but hey, making an entire MMO isn't easy, and skimping on the mechanics of the core game play seems like a very false economy.

Bottom line - if you cannot balance PvP your combat mechanics are wrong, and PvE will be broken too.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

broxen

Postby broxen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Bottom line - if you cannot balance PvP your combat mechanics are wrong, and PvE will be broken too.
I'm not the math whiz JestersGhost is when it comes to these things, but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I think the fear surrounding this line of thinking is that it will minimize how powerful players feel against Mobs, but I think this is a misconception. I feel, if anything, it requires the mobs have a greater variety of strategies and powers, but I think we can all agree that only enriches gameplay.
-Broxen

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

may be not at launch but later ... may i suggest a sort of PVP ... well ... Player vs. Player Monster ... where on a voluntary player has been picked from a Qed list ...and that player can become a Boss in a mission that other players or a teams are trying to win and the Player Boss gets to try to defeat them. this is just a suggestion and it might help feed the PVP hunger in some players.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Mister Nice Guy

Postby Mister Nice Guy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 am

As long as a duel option is available - I'm happy to be honset.

Only addition I would like to see first is some kinda (instanced) simulation room, where the leader of the raid decides which groups are on which team so they can fight eachother however they want to mostly just to test stuff (as a guild i.e. might even be a guildbase feature).

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 am

Eulb, I have not previously heard of the "players get to be a boss monster" option. That sounds pretty interesting. Have you seen it i a game?

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 am

Just use an arena system similar to CoH, try to keep it balanced and do not inflict the diminishing returns junk that issue 13 did to CoH PVP.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 am

Eulb, I have not previously heard of the "players get to be a boss monster" option. That sounds pretty interesting. Have you seen it i a game?
They had that in LOTRO, and it was damn fun! Then they neutered it, and fewer and fewer people showed up until it all but disappeared.

Basically, you could go in as a player or as a monster. XP was internal to the system (you had different levels in 'Mirror World' than you did in the main game), but you got special tokens you could use for upper tier gear in the main game. While the highest tier stuff was from dungeons, using this system you could get really good stuff without raiding. People whined, and slowly but surely the rewards diminished, and then you could only fight as a monster on either side. Then they made levels ineffective in Mirror World. Essentially they pulled the plug on everything that made it fun.

Some of those player character v player monster fights were pretty damn epic. That was one of the best things about the game - players had to fight monsters that were NOT scripted, and they also got to try being the biggest badass on the field! Too bad they sicced the fun vampire on that...

Return to “Polling Discussion”