Pay for levels & buy/sell game tokens

ginokid

Pay for levels & buy/sell game tokens

Postby ginokid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Paying for level cap & the ability to buy game tokens and sell them for in game currency would be cool. :ugeek:

GladDog

Re: Pay for levels & buy/sell game tokens

Postby GladDog » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I think its a little early to thing that such a thing would be cool or not. We still don't know how long it will take to level cap, and the cap is going to be low to start. We also know nothing about the economy, or how it will play out. The economy in CoH was actually pretty generous to the players at first, until we got an auction house and crafted enhancements. But I remember a bit before issue 2 that one of my sub cap characters gave 5 million influence to a friend so he could get his level 50 enhancements; and a month later I noted that that same character had more than 40 million inf. I spent all 850 million inf I had when they put in the AH though! I had to get IO'd!

If they were going to have buy-a-cap, I would think it will be way far in the future, when the cap is 60 or so. And honestly, I doubt the dev team has put a single thought into such things.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 pm

In my mind, having to pay for a level cap is a very bad idea :? . If I have a monthly or any other type of paying subscription to SoH, having to pay for a level cap would really suck big time and may push me away from the game! When I create a toon in SoH, that toon should be able to reach the level cap through actually playing the game (regardless of where it is set (20, 30, 40, 50, etc.)) and not having to pay for said level cap.

Free-to-play is another ballgame altogether. I think FTP should be capped at level 10 - 15 (or wherever the devs deem appropriate).

This argument is similar to how many toon slots are available for monthly sub'ers as opposed to the number of FTP toon slots. Personally, as a sub'er, I would like to have 20 - 30 toon slots initially, plus more for time spent playing the game, and maybe 5 - 10 for FTP.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:41 am

GladDog is right, we're not thinking about a way to jump to the level cap now, because of two things: first, we're completely focused on getting the game built, and second we think the game should be a lot of fun to play, so no one would want to jump to the level cap and miss the content.

It's a journey, not a destination. :)

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:06 am

Consultant: What are your thoughts on the number of initial toon slots for sub'ers and for FTP? Thanks in advance.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 am

I personally don't like anything that remotely sounds like "Pay to win"

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm

I am one that loves to play and not lvl and i feel from the DEV's then want that the game will be fun to play at what ever lvl you are at...

Why are you wanting to get to the end so fast ... what bout the journey .
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:13 pm

LoL, be careful what you wish for. EQ2, in previous years has released cap level tokens at two different levels. They sold pretty good. But then in their most recent expansion there was a whole lot, and mean A WHOLE LOT of previous, lower level content (lower then the level cap tokens) that was required before advancing in many aspects of the new content. There was (and perhaps, still is) a whole lot of whining, complaining bitching about the lower level grinds. It seems a frustrating or funny practical joke, depending on what side of the fence you are sitting on.
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:23 pm

As far as, subscription tokens, I am really torn on that one. It sounds like a good idea at first but........ Some people end up buying a lot of them and then selling them on the market and then have a lot of in game money to buy the best. Which seems to sound a little to much like "pay to win" to me. I like the idea, of buying to gifting subscriptions to friends/family but not buying gaming tokens that can be turned around and sold in game.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Dang, I just remember one other thing....... yes Consultant..........what are your thought for slot amounts for subscribers?........... :D

Greyhawk

Postby Greyhawk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 am

Paying for level cap & the ability to buy game tokens and sell them for in game currency would be cool. :ugeek:
Myself, I don't think this would be cool at all. I think it would be exploitative and destructive of the ingame community.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:41 am

There is a question on the number of slots at launch. First let me refresh -- we think the game is a subscription game, and does not have a traditional F2P element. We can all buy months and give them to friends, but that is not actually F2P. Donors can get some months given to them, but they have supported the development of the game.

In this situation, how many slots do we all get at launch, to make alts? It is truly not certain yet. But since we are all going to be subscribers, it will not be something small like 3 or 4. And probably not something like 50. The reason we do not know yet is that we would want to see how the finances balance from an operating game, and there are a lot of variables right now that we just have placeholders for.

But generally speaking, we all want to make alts, test different builds, and test different styles of playing the game. That's part of the fun. So if I say that maybe we'll all have ten slots to begin with, that is probably in the ballpark.

I'm going to go ahead and share a though of mine that relates to this topic. I've always believed that there should be a way to de-construct a failed build, getting back the in-game currency, and something that relates to the effort to test out an idea. Maybe you take a build to level 15 and realize that it does not work for your playstyle at all. Can you de-construct that character, free up a slot, and get 15 levels of patrol experience, plus some financial value of the stuff, or perhaps the actual inventory, and transfer that to a new level 1 character? I don't want to create a potential exploit. But maybe having some way to re-roll a character that is not a total loss could be good. Anyway, this is something to think about.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:38 pm

*standing to give the Queen's clap to Consultant* Thank you for the sharing, very happy to hear your thoughts.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm going to go ahead and share a though of mine that relates to this topic. I've always believed that there should be a way to de-construct a failed build, getting back the in-game currency, and something that relates to the effort to test out an idea. Maybe you take a build to level 15 and realize that it does not work for your playstyle at all. Can you de-construct that character, free up a slot, and get 15 levels of patrol experience, plus some financial value of the stuff, or perhaps the actual inventory, and transfer that to a new level 1 character? I don't want to create a potential exploit. But maybe having some way to re-roll a character that is not a total loss could be good. Anyway, this is something to think about.
I had an idea for this that I submitted to the CoH forums.

Have respecs be tokens.

1 respec token = full respec.
2 respec tokens = change your secondary powerset and full respec.
3 respec tokens = change your primary powerset and full respec.
5 respec tokens = change both powersets and full respec.
7 tokens = change your AT, pick new powersets and full respec.

Respec tokens could be choosable rewards for TFs, rare random drops and they could be veteran rewards, maybe 1 per month after you get to 6 months. They would HAVE to be Bind on Pickup, so they do not become a gold farmer's delight.

One advantage to this is that a 'failed' character could be saved and turned into a Controller with 7 respec tokens once Controllers are available. Same with a Commander. So a character you have invested 20 levels into could become a ready-to-go Controller or Commander! I think most people would want to at least play one from level 1, but not everyone...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 pm

You soo make me laugh GladDog hee hee .... " a Gold farmers delight " ssssooooo enjoyable thank.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “Polling Discussion”