Which MMOs have you formerly played?

GladDog

Which MMOs have you formerly played?

Postby GladDog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Which former MMO did you play and consider to be significant to you? This tells us where you are coming from, for our development of SoH [choose all that apply]

City of Heroes
SWTOR
DCUO
Champions Online
Marvel
WOW
Other
I’ll tell you in the forums
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Re: Which MMOs have you formerly played?

Postby GladDog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:14 pm

I've played all of these, and all of them had significance to me. I also played Age of Conan, EQ2, Warhammer Online, Hellgate: London, Forsaken World, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Star Trek Online, Elder Scrolls Online, and others I cannot think of ATM.

Easily the most significant was City of Heroes. It was my first MMORPG, and the one I played the longest. It was also the one that I got the most emotionally attached to, and the most heartbroken over when it closed.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm

all of the above plus Star Trek Online, Elder Scrolls Online, Wildstar, Guidwars, Everquest at least that's all that comes to mind for MMO's however I did play a few space strategy games, and a few games such as civilization and age of empires.

as for significant. well. narrow that down to City of Heroes, Star Trek, Star Wars, Wow and the space strategy games.

longest... that would be Wow now... not by choice. finally rage quit a few years back when they messed with my paladin one time too many had already bought the expansion to get to level 110 too... didn't play a lick of it.

Second Longest and most fondly remembered and my first MMO is City of Heroes.

Next I would say are the space strategy games Neptune's Pride I and Neptune's Pride II, prior to that KotG (King of the Galaxy). was an alpha that never went anywhere. after years of playing it the group all switched over to Neptune's Pride when Richard Finally shut it down. still have online friends from all over the world from that game. although after Kazak the mighty Dwarven king who had no respect for Golden Overlords passed away a few years back we kind of drifted apart. took months to do a game would sometimes take 24 hours for ship flights. so your buddy in Australia would see your attack in plenty of time to move all his ships in order counter it. only to have my larger fleet that I had been assembling for nearly a month hit his rear. ah good times.

next would be Star Trek Online. played several different versions of it. I just love space fight.

star wars.. while not nearly as good as star trek. I liked some of the jedi stuff. and loved Holiday. she was awesome.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:49 am

Heck, I was just listing the MMORPGs! I also have played the entire MechWarrior series
Mechwarrior
Mechwarrior 2
Mech 2 Ghost Bear Legacy
Mech 2 Mercenaries
Mech 3
Mech 3 Pirates Bay
Mech 4
Mech 4 Black Knight
Mech 4 Mercs
Mechwarrior Online
And eagerly anticipating Mech 5: Mercs in December!

Jet Fighter games
ATF Gold
USNF 97
Falcon 4.0
EF2000
F/A-18 Hornet 3.0
F/A-18 Hornet: Korea
Lock On: Modern Air Combat

Space Sims
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
Wing Commander 2 & 3
Freespace
Freespace 2 (the best of the bunch)

FPS
Wolfenstien 3D
Rise of the Triad
Doom
Doom 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Unreal
Unreal 2
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament 3
Red Faction
Red Faction 2
MAD - Mobile Armored Division (Mech FPS game)
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3: Arena
Tribes
Tribes 2
Tribes 3 (blech)
Planetside
Planetside 2
Prey
Battlefield
Counterstrike
Half Life
Half Life 2 (when is 3 coming out?)

RTS
Command & Conquer 1, 2, 3
Total Annihilation
Age of Empires 1 & 2
Warcraft 1 & 2

And there are probably at least 2 dozen I can;t remember right now.

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 am

Which former MMO did you play and consider to be significant to you? This tells us where you are coming from, for our development of SoH [choose all that apply]

City of Heroes
SWTOR
DCUO
Champions Online
Marvel
WOW
Other
I’ll tell you in the forums
Do you have 30 minutes, for me to start with my reasons?

Island of Kesmai: Was a modified TBS/RTS MMO, done entirely in ASCII. Not much of a character creator, but the hours of life lost to playing this with friends on the then new internet is priceless. The graphic upgrade was in the form of fantasy icons, in Legends of Kesmai.
Asheron's Call; I believe this was the 1st MMO with crafting, and a great Character Creator. Too many hours spent there.
Everquest; Unique when released, because you had to learn other species languages. More of life's short hours lost.
Star Wars Galaxies; Great graphics, Play, CC, and ATs until they brought the Jedi in. Didn't care for how fast vehicles, and housing deteriorated, which caused players to grind the game, just to maintain them. Yet again, many hours gone.
City of Franchise; Great story arcs, Heroic AT's, and the CC was fairly advanced for the time. Way too many hours gone there.
Champions Online; Their CC with a Color Wheel, and Customized Power sets, were what CoH's should have been, had Posi and crew not got greedy and sold out. Shame the graphics themselves are WOWish, and far too cartoony. Still, too many hours gone.
Istaria; Good crafting,and the CC was okay, and I got to play as a Dragon character! Down side is they haven't improved the good graphics, with a more robust engine, and some of the character animations look kludgy. Yet I lost a lot of hours roaming the open world, in many adventures.
Star Trek Online; Was part of the original Alpha team, and yes, you can thank me for being able to walk around different sections of your ships. Great CC, accurate Lore, Story Arcs, and character roles. Really good visuals too. Still go back to it for my Phaser Phix now and again.
Tabla Risa; What can I say about a great game, that was tossed aside, because some greedy, jealous company bought it. Then dumped it because it threatened another product they wanted to shove down our throats? :'(
DCUO; Had it all, and then blew it. Not too many hours lost there.
Lord of the Rings Online; Stunning visuals, Great story arcs, great CC, and selection of Roles (ATs). Great community too. Plus, players can create, and play music on any of the many instruments in game for their character to use! I'm still losing hours to it, since it started back in 2007.
Star Wars the Old Republic; Really good CC, Roles, Visuals, and more. Downside is the Cartel Coins gear. That stuff can cost you a pretty penny of real cash. However, there is some hope of gaining them through quests/missions. Still go back to it too.

And that is just the short list of online games I play, or have played.
Last edited by Odee on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 am

I have top characters in :
DAOC -- the first, and still the best for PvP
Ryzom -- the best crafting sandbox
City of Heroes/Villains -- started at the beginning, still sore about ED
LoTRO -- Tolkein fan
Vanguard -- good MMO with nice crafting
PoTBS -- Pirate PvP and economy was great
Elder Scrolls Online -- still playing this one, not 100% happy

Others I have dabbled in:
FFXIV -- just can't seem to get into it, don't really like the art style
SWTOR -- sort of fun, never spent much time there
WoW -- never played it at all
EQ2 -- tried it
DCUO -- almost good
CO -- not CoH, couldn't get into it
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Heck, I was just listing the MMORPGs! I also have played the entire MechWarrior series ...

RTS
Command & Conquer 1, 2, 3
Total Annihilation
Age of Empires 1 & 2
Warcraft 1 & 2

And there are probably at least 2 dozen I can;t remember right now.
Do not get me started on Flight Sims, Spaceflight Sims, TBS, and RTS games. ...Just don't go there now, because I'll have to eat 4 bags of donuts, just to calm myself down, from the crying spate.

(edit) Oh heck here. SUB WAR 2050: Way ahead of its time as an underwater flight sim. Sure wish they'd do a reboot.
https://www.old-games.ru/games/pc/subwa ... 81157c.jpg
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:00 am

I've played/tried about 26 MMOs, I picked the 2 below on the poll as these are my significant impacts:

WoW: this is the first MMO I played, and I'm playing it again at present (blame my friends). It has a solid system that they've had years to adapt and hone, it works well, it plays well. I find the storyline can get easily forgotten in it however. The system lends itself well to having multiple characters.

SWTOR: I subscribed to this one for the first 5 years after release. I love Star Wars, particularly this era and the KoTOR storyline this stems from. I love the way they ran the story for this, each of the 8 base classes had their own story that is independent of each other but forms part of the overall story. This means that each character of a different class that you create and play has their own main storyline to follow and their own reasons for being where they are. Side quest missions on particular planets would be related to the story specifically for that planet and would be the same regardless of class. The graphics on this are great, the system itself is pretty solid and I loved having a personal ship and, later, the strongholds. I feel it is suffering too much under the yoke of microtransactions though.

This one isn't in the poll list so I'll add this separately:

FFXIV: I played this for a short while, but it was a lot of fun. Graphics on this are amazing, really really pretty. The game system is interesting in the way it handles playing as different classes. It doesn't cater to my alt-oholicism but gives quite a diversity in being able to change your class (and role) by equipping a different weapon (or tool). This could allow you to simply play one character but level up multiple classes separately. This is probably ideal as the story, while really good, doesn't lend itself so much to re-playing as much. The housing system is interesting, these are in a public space and you can make your home accessible to others, however this also means that obtaining a house is difficult as there is limited space, and if you aren't active then your house can be re-possessed and auctioned. Their apartments don't have this restriction though so there is a bit of a balance there.

This one gets a mention though I didn't select it in the poll:

Champions Online: this was my super hero fix for a bit. The costume designer is great, better than DCUO (I played this very briefly as a villain), but there is a lot of content locked behind MTX. The system is interesting and the powersets are quite cool, though many are again locked behind a MTX paywall. One issue, however, is that the game play seems to have very little tolerance for latency, even on a symmetrical 50mbps fibre connection I get noticeable lag on the gameplay. I don't have this on other MMOs though. I'm in South Africa so connectivity to EU servers is generally the lowest latency and sits around the 180 - 200 ms mark (entirely distance based), this isn't really noticeable in other games, just CO.
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 am

Results so far suggest COH is number 1, SWTOR is number 2, WOW is 3, and CO is 4.

Not that surprising -- it kind of supports the information from the Short Founders Survey -- but it also shows that over the last three years we have been getting more and more interest from players who count a game other than COH as their core experience. This is good. It broadens the community.

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:52 pm

The one major one I played besides these is Tera Rising.
Unless you want to count Eve Online.

I also spent a little time in Star Trek Online and I played Battlestar Galactica online, But that one was pay-to-win, and I wasn't going to shell out hundreds of dollars on a video game.

gemini

Postby gemini » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:07 pm

First MMO I played was a Korean one (Nexus, The Kingdom of the Winds) that had a US release around the same time Ultima Online was getting started.

Played that right up until CoH came out, then WoW and SWTOR.

I've tried a lot of things but never got too much into them (FF11, DDO, FF14, Wildstar, Guidwars2, Destiny2... some others).

Not even going to get into all the offline/single player games I've played.

Nasotha

Postby Nasotha » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:40 am

I have played almost every MMORPG that has been out in the last 20 years. I spent the most time in EQ, EQII, WoW, CoH/CoV/CoX, DAoC, DDO, LotRO, SWtOR and FFXIV. What drew me most to these was exploration, community and character customization (with an eye toward role-playing). I love crafting, so EQ was great, WoW was OK, but EQII took it to another level. I hear that Asheron's Call had marvelous crafting, but I never experienced that game. I'm sad to have missed it.

Horizons, AKA: Istaria, blew my mind with its game design with its first use of physics in the environment and crafting that was more satisfying than even EQII. Then they changed how the game played - right at launch. Nothing made sense anymore and the whole thing went down the tubes. I would give much to have that beta version of Horizons back. Dangerous, satisfying, rewarding, RP-rich, crafters made the best gear and nothing felt like a grind. Can you say that about any other MMORPG? Wow, I didn't realize just how strongly I felt about Horizons until just now. Phew!

CoX was my "dip" MMORPG. I'd get into it for a couple of months, go play some other MMORPG or new PC game, then come back a few months later to play for another month or three. It was a lover and a friend, but commitment was never part of our relationship. When it shut down, I missed it dearly. Recently, when I got access again, nobody that I used to play with wanted to play again. That is a tough pill to swallow. They all want to play Warframe and keep telling me it's better than CoX. I do love Warframe, but it's just not the same. That character in Warframe is not a product of my imagination and that's everything to me in just about every game I play.

What would have gotten me to play CoX more often was reducing the grind toward end-game for things like bases and their upkeep. It became a job and that's no fun. It would have been great if they also would have done as WoW has been doing to optimize and update the game engine to utilize better technology every five years.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I played many mmo.

An MMO I am currently playing more than others is FFXI. Imo, this game may be the best mmo of all-time in terms of depth and mechanics. Example, FFXI has a mode called Monstrosity
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/ ... index.html

Players can play as monsters within the game. This is the only mmo I know of where the player can actually play as a quadrupedal creature. This brings me to other superhero mmo.....

The only MMO to properly do transformation powers was CO. It would be great if SoH had such a power-set, akin to Beast-Boy. There are nearly 200 playable monsters in FFXI. The animations and models were already in the game, all they had to do was limit the maps certain monsters are allowed on. Bigger monsters cannot access condensed maps.

Not a difficult power to implement, but oddly, CO is either the only one to do it, or do it correctly.

Slizergiy

Postby Slizergiy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm

City of Heroes and WoW are the ones I have played that I would concider siginificant to me. CoH not any more (officaly) since its shut down (and yay for homecomming). WoW was my main MMO for some time but lately I just have not been enjoying in as I once did. It expects you to do too many things and I just don't have the time to do it all, plus its a pain getting gear upgradeds so you can do high tiered content (and thats just with your main. Haven forbid if your trying to do the same to alts).

My current main is Final Fantansy 14. Started playing in the mids of 2.X after my brother introduced it to me and frankly I love it. You only need the one charater to do all the classes and profesions, and the lower/higher tomestone gear makes it easy to get the equpment you need, but the main draw is the story/music. It frankly kicks the crap out of WoW (even if wow has gotten better with the overarcing story in recent expations).

Other mmo's that I have played (but of less significants) include The old republic, Secret Worlds, Tera, Wildstar, Guilds Wars 2, Adventure Quest 3D, Elder Scrolls, Champions Online (it was an ok subsitute for CoH but it just dosn't come close to CoH), and Riders of Icarus. There may be some more to that list but I can't think of them off hand at this time.

mereman

Postby mereman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:22 am

The only MMO I played and enjoyed was City of Heroes. I tried most of the others and they just didn't do it for me.
I think what I really enjoyed about CoH was I could build a weak looking character and have him/her as a Tank. To be able to build the look i wanted and then have what powers I liked was a winner.
Still in mourning for CoH

Return to “Polling Discussion”