What stage does the game need to be in for you to play at launch (not beta testing)?

Dying Breath

Re: What stage does the game need to be in for you to play at launch (not beta testing)?

Postby Dying Breath » Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 pm

I believe most historians refer to the release game as Issue 0. The first major patch after release was called Issue 1: Through the Looking Glass. This issue raised the level cap from 40 to 50 and introduced Peregrine Island. My first character (Rad/Rad defender) was at 31, and had basically given up looking for teams. The Shadow Shard was introduced in Issue 2: A Shadow of the Past.

As for the state of the game that I would play at launch... Since MMO's typically are never truly finished, I am looking for at least four archetypes with multiple powersets (both primary and secondary) and at least one mission based level path to max release level.

Gerald_Deemer

Re: What stage does the game need to be in for you to play at launch (not beta testing)?

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu May 02, 2019 4:24 am

As for the state of the game that I would play at launch... Since MMO's typically are never truly finished, I am looking for at least four archetypes with multiple powersets (both primary and secondary) and at least one mission based level path to max release level.
THIS would be a good start :D
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu May 02, 2019 7:03 am

Updating results:

Option 2: 17%
Option 3: 35%
Option 4: 46%
Option 5: 2%

So it does sound like an option 3.5 is where most people are.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu May 02, 2019 9:28 am

Like you, I had a hell of a time trying to advance in levels past the 20s on my blaster. I did the fire tank express also back in the day to get my first 50. A fire/fire tanker, back when burn and healing flames were both large parts of your status protection, and you needed acrobatics powerset to have knockback protection.
Yeah I remember now. Issue 1 raised the cap to 50 and added PI, issue 2 introduced the respec trial and the Shadow Shard, and Issue 3 announced the death of Fire tanks. What? They just got good in Issue 3!

Fire Tanks were a tough type to play at first. You had to watch EVERYTHING. As Doc said, most of your mez resist was tied into your powers. Stun resist was activated by Healing Flames, which is why every time you saw a Fire tank attack a group, they healed themselves BEFORE the fight started! Also, they would use Provoke (Taunt was single target only back then), then immediately use Burn for sleep, immobilization and hold resistance - as well as dish out dollops of damage! Endurance was always a challenge, since you had to run so many toggles (Fire Shield, Plasma Armor, Blazing Aura, Tough, Weave, Combat Jumping and Acrobatics), so you had to watch for Consume to recycle and immediately use it! The reward for all of this micromanagement was amazing damage output that would make a Blaster jealous.

Then in Issue 3, they made Taunt a targeted AoE, put the Hold, Immobilization & Sleep resistance in Plasma Armor, Put Stun resistance in Fire Shield, slightly reduced the damage in Burn, but increased its duration, increased the accuracy in Blazing Aura while reducing its endurance cost, Increased the heal in Healing Flames while reducing its recycle time, All at the same time as getting Hamidon Origin Enhancements became really easy.

Wow. Suddenly there were Fire Tanks EVERYWHERE! At least 30% of the new characters in Atlas Park were Fire Tanks. All of us old fire tankers saw the writing on the wall though... We would be in for a helluva nerfing very soon. Anytime the game goes to easy mode, there is a nerf in your future.

Sure enough, after three misfires, they killed Burn by making the Fear effect so strong that Taunt was no longer working. Even two tanks using Taunt was not enough to hold the bad guys in the Burn patch. Suddenly, Fire tanks became tanks with average damage resistance and no defense, meaning they had less than average survivability and no redeeming qualities to make them worthwhile, and they disappeared from the game.

All of the old school fire tanks predicted this outcome. The micromanaging was a prerequisite to justifying that level of damage. Without the balance, they were ruined. Did Fire tanks need some boosting? Yes, but not all of that all at once! And to correct the class by killing off their one redeeming quality was pretty brutal...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 am

One of the things I hated about CoH. They tended to over react/nerf way too much.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Just FYI, I tried to answer and got a HTTP 507 (Insufficient Disk Storage) error.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 am

Three will make me happy as long as there is some sort of system in place to let people play missions added later into the game that they may have overleveled, like the Ouroboros system in City of Heroes. I.e., if there are no missions in the game at launch, and I have a character at the level cap, and missions are later added for levels 1 to 5, I would want to go back at some point to play them.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat May 11, 2019 10:33 am

Updating results:

Option 1: 1%
Option 3: 31%
Option 4: 49%
Option 5: 4%

Over time as more votes some in people are gravitating a little bit to us launching with a more complete game. That's not too surprising as COH is now out on private servers.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat May 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Updating results:

Option 1: 1%
Option 3: 31%
Option 4: 49%
Option 5: 4%

Over time as more votes some in people are gravitating a little bit to us launching with a more complete game. That's not too surprising as COH is now out on private servers.
I concur. and as much as I hate to say it delaying launch until you have more completed game might have to be considered. :/

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sun May 12, 2019 7:48 am

Well, COT seems to be finished as the 1st spiritual successor of COH anyway.
COH is playable on private servers right now but this can`t be a reason for the community to wait even longer for SOH. I for myself want something new finally. I`m shocked.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun May 12, 2019 9:22 am

There is a thread from last year where we discussed missions. It turns out that CoH released with a level cap of 40 and 362 missions. There were 5 story arcs based on your origin that compiled into the main story arc. After that, you would get side arcs based on your origin.

The problem with how they opened CoH was that the story arcs were BORING. The main arc was pretty boring until you got to about level 25. That was also when the TFs started getting fun and challenging without being frustrating. The origin arcs seem like they were carved together at the last second by a bunch of college kids working 72 hours without sleep. In fact once the game got going, everyone went street sweeping and doing radio missions until you got to about level 25-30 when the story arcs started getting fun. The reason so many people power leveled is the mission structure was not very good. Fortunately, the combat was outstanding, and enough to hold many people in the game. As the game matured, the mission makers got better and better. Once Paragon took over, there were a whole lot of very good mission arcs in the game. When CoH shut down, they had over 6000 missions in place, and many of the later ones were considered must do, such as the FrostFire arc, which came into the game after Paragon took over.

What I'm trying to say is that with the way SoH is planning to structure their missions, if they are done reasonably, they don't need 362 missions to have a fun game. 220-250 should be enough. If people run through all of those, THEN the random mission generator becomes your friend. In CoH most people gave up on the early arcs, and if they did do missions they were usually radio missions.

Bottom line; 220-250 missions in well thought out arcs should be more than enough, considering that the level cap will be between 20-30. SInce the core of the dev team are former CoH players, they probably have a really good idea what worked and what did not with a superhero mission system.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 am

You know, this is a great moment to ask which mission arcs are the favorites of the community?

I often hear Frostfire. And frankly the ITF has to be on the list, given that it was one of the most played TFs in the game.

What else did people just love, and why?

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:49 am

I liked the arc where your contact, (I think her name was Madeline in Founders falls) is gradually turned into one of the carnival of shadows and then you have to save her. The contact starts out being super positive with you but then when you go for missions she becomes hostile. It really made you want to save her. I also liked the carnival arc where you find out the history of the Carnie Queen. The freak Olympics and Vahzilok plague were also two of my favorites.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 pm

I wish I could remember. but the Malta arc where you get ambushes and you first find sappers....

I hated sappers, I really paid attention to what was said after Sappers started showing up.

went out of my way to kill them first.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sun May 12, 2019 1:47 pm

I didn't really have a favorite arc but the Freak'Lympics arc does stand out as entertainingly memorable because at the conclusion you end up with the medal/s for shutting it down.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Return to “Polling Discussion”