How important is it that crafting be including in SoH at launch?

Ridgeman

Re: How important is it that crafting be including in SoH at launch?

Postby Ridgeman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 pm

At launch, I don't think it's a huge deal. Eventually - for sure; but the most important thing is to get it out there and to make sure that what you publish is in good, working order. Maybe if we had 36 hour workdays...

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:42 pm

I went with not important at launch. But I'm with the others when I do want it eventually.

I think its more important to get the game going, working on the server, and cash flowing. Something like the crafting system isn't integral, and could even be looked at as a CoH "issue" release. e.g. another phase/issue/release further down the line

RoyalTree

Postby RoyalTree » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:17 pm

If this turns out to be a similar successor to CoH then I would say I don't need crafting for the first 1-2 years but if the game is sparce with little to do, then I would love to have crafting. Crafting is one of my favorite things to do in a most of my MMO's, but in SuperHero games I don't need it, if there is a deep Character Creation, plenty of baddies/quest and a decent amount of powerset to start.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Agreed. I don't need crafting for the first few years. I'm going to be leveling my characters up, and won't be focused on the crafting.

Karmanik

Postby Karmanik » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 pm

I don't actually want it.

Crafting adds needless complexity to the game, but some people like it so add it later please.

Balancing power sets against each other with and without boosts from dropped items will take you a long time as it is. Even so, there will inevitably be post launch buffs and nerfs once the players start min/maxing.

Adding crafting now, will make balancing/rebalancing that much harder.
I agree 100% with Mainsil here. People used crafted enhancement sets in City of Heroes to fill holes in their power sets. My main was a claws/inv scrapper, so I used sets bonuses that granted boosts to exotic damage resistance since Invulnerability only excelled at smashing/lethal resistance. Having to balance crafted augments with the power sets from the very beginning might make creative builds a little more difficult, unless that is the goal of the development team.

Queenie

Postby Queenie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 pm

Not important. I just want a costume creator, to be able to beat up some bad guys, do some missions, and talk to people. That would all be a great start.

drbuzzard

Postby drbuzzard » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:32 pm

I'd go with not important simply because I cannot imagine a crafting system is a simple thing to add, so it would likely delay release. I'd like to see it eventually, but I'm in no rush. I'd see it as something to do to pass time once the freshness of the basic content has worn off.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Crafting has to be in the game but not mandatory at launch. If it delays the much sought-after release it should be implemented later when the game runs a while.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:02 am

Though I like crafting, I don't think it's important at launch. If you can fit it in that's great but not if something else has to get side-lined for it.
Hadder

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Launch > crafting
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

unlikely

Postby unlikely » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:59 pm

Launch is what's important.
If all we can do is log in and interact and blast bot-based baddies, that'll be enough.
Improvements can come later.

longtallbrad

Postby longtallbrad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 am

I have zero interest in crafting, so I definitely hope it does not delay launch.

ncampbell

Postby ncampbell » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:22 pm

I hate crafting in MMO's. Its adds yet another grind to a game and it is usually a grind you are forced to do if you want to make any cash in game or stay on top of the best of the best items. I don't need nor want the grind. I would rather play the game and have fun playing it.

I very much agree with this. I don't hate crafting, it can sometimes be fun, but one of the things I liked about CoH in the early days was that I didn't have to worry about collecting or making the best gear. Compared to WoW, it felt so nice to only need to worry about playing missions, figuring out what powers you wanted to buy next, only needing to worry about having some boosts to use sometimes, and just focusing on enjoying PLAYING the game. I loved how quick and easy it was to get a team together......not just for large things like raids....... just to simply play each other's missions and help each other finish story lines and level up. I interacted with the community and teamed up with other players in CoH waaaay more than I ever did in WoW. The WoW community was good in the vanilla days, but it seemed like everyone mostly just teamed up for dungeons. In CoH you could just jump in the game, send a LFG message and start playing missions with a whole team of players within minutes.

THAT is a big part of what made the game so great.....not the worry of crafting and collecting mats.

The worry of wanting to make money using the AH can also add a little unnecessary stress to a game too, in my opinion.

Return to “Polling Discussion”