loot boost for team size question

GladDog

loot boost for team size question

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:34 pm

I voted 30%. Anything to promote teaming up! One of the best things about CoH was how easy it was to team up, and how easy it was to find help when you needed it. So anything to promote that effect is welcome!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Re: loot boost for team size question

Postby Eulb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:56 am

I voted 20% i do want teaming but don't want to give the store away..... fine ill compromise a 25% .... just because i don't want GladNess getting you in trouble again... :D
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 am

Since I am a die hard soloer, I voted 10% and would have vote 0% if that was an option. Only teamed when my son was playing. Remember, fun is relative to the individual.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:37 pm

I also voted for 20%, but would have gone to 25% if the option were present. Teaming in these kinds of games should definitely be encouraged, also forced in some cases such as with Taskforces and such, so the rewards should match to encourage such things.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Blue Djinn

Postby Blue Djinn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 am

I voted 30%. Anything to promote teaming up! One of the best things about CoH was how easy it was to team up, and how easy it was to find help when you needed it. So anything to promote that effect is welcome!
As we used to say back in da day...BUMP!

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm

I voted for 20%. I thought that was appropriate, since sometimes teams are a bust so joining one is bit risky, fun-wise.

Ethos

Postby Ethos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 pm

I voted 10%. I would also vote 0% if I could. I understand that there are many people that like to group, but there are also people who like to solo. A 30% boost for grouping is like a 30% penalty for going solo. I don't really think people should be penalized for wanting to play the game the way they want to play it.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 pm

A 30% boost for grouping is like a 30% penalty for going solo.
That leaves out a major dynamic of groups, which is slower gameplay. When solo, the only delays are what you wish to take. But on a team, you have a lot more delays, waiting for everyone to reach the mission, etc. So you need to give a boost for PUGs to match loot gain against soloing. I'm not sure whether a 5% or 10% would be a more accurate estimate, but there is a small built-in efficiency advantage to soloing.

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 pm

A 30% boost for grouping is like a 30% penalty for going solo.
That leaves out a major dynamic of groups, which is slower gameplay. When solo, the only delays are what you wish to take. But on a team, you have a lot more delays, waiting for everyone to reach the mission, etc. So you need to give a boost for PUGs to match loot gain against soloing. I'm not sure whether a 5% or 10% would be a more accurate estimate, but there is a small built-in efficiency advantage to soloing.
I disagree. Any "efficiency" that is lost due to meeting up is gained in killing speed. Groups can knock out missions and mass farming at speeds no soloer can hope to match.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Well, a good team can. A mediocre or outright bad team? No. In those cases, soloing is faster. And since you can't know whether your team is good or not until you commit? A bonus of some sort is needed. Maybe not 30%, but more than 0%.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm

I agree with Nephthys. My thinking is while you do have to wait for team members to get to the mission door, a team makes it faster to blow through the bad guys faster therefore allowing for more drops because of the speed and bigger groups of bad guys versus solo play. So I picked 10%.
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:45 am

One of the other factors is the social element of the game. Teaming promotes in-game friendships and communication, and also helps keep the chat positive and the playerbase helpful when solo-ers need advice or news or what not. One of the reasons for encouraging teaming (and for NOT requiring it) is that the toxicity of many MMOs is legendary. Nasty chat, rude people, false information, incessant goldfarming spam...many of these elements are driven by the expectations of the community and by the way they react to the others who are playing.

I say this as a guy who, in COH, was never on a team except with my kids for the first six months. I soloed everything. And yet I really appreciated that when I asked something in the chat, people were very positive and helpful. Teaming and in-game culture are connected. They rise and fall together. Sp bonuses are not just a matter of "tax policy" in which we consider the pluses and minuses to speed of formation and mission execution, and relative DPS.

What we want is for everybody to have a good time in positive atmosphere. It's not about how fast we can rush to the endgame. In all likelihood we are all going to solo, we are all going to team, and we are all going join raids. It's just a matter of how much of each.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 am

Consultant: I agree 100% with your statements. Just to reiterate, I only teamed when my son was playing. In addition, just because I was/am a soloer, does not mean I am in a universe by myself. I have no problem providing any help or advise to folks who ask (I am not a chatty guy).
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm

But too much of a bonus for grouping encourages nonsocial farming groups. I've seen this in many games that have high grouping bonuses. People just randomly group up for farming and power leveling, and don't want to talk - they actively discourage socializing because it detracts from the faster killing.

broxen

Postby broxen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm

But too much of a bonus for grouping encourages nonsocial farming groups. I've seen this in many games that have high grouping bonuses. People just randomly group up for farming and power leveling, and don't want to talk - they actively discourage socializing because it detracts from the faster killing.
I started to write that I've never experienced this first hand, and then I remembered my Wizard in EverQuest and well.. "less chatter more pew pew" came to mind.

I voted 20%. I feel that a benefit is warranted, but 30% seemed really high. I always assumed that you'd gain xp faster simply because you're killing faster as a group than you would solo.
-Broxen

Return to “Polling Discussion”