How do you feel about puzzle elements in MMORPGs?

gemini

Re: How do you feel about puzzle elements in MMORPGs?

Postby gemini » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:00 am

Mildly positive when used sparingly

Here's a (non mmorpg) example - Mass Effect 2 has various objects you have to 'bypass' or 'hack'; and by various I mean there are 2 or 3 in every single mission in the game.

Each one launches a little 30 second minigame with a time limit. It's cute and interesting the first few times you do it. The one-hundredth time? Tedious and annoying. And you need to open these things up for mission critical resources or you get the 'bad ending'

Now when I play through the game I install a mod that just bypasses those things automatically.

The occasional well-done puzzle optional, for a bonus maybe? Sounds great (not everyone can figure out puzzles no matter how easy they seem)

If I had to do a minigame / puzzle every time I gathered some random resource (there are MMOs that do this) I'd hate it.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04 am

Borderline gamebreaker negative. If I wanted to creatively solve problems based on incomplete or poorly structured information, I'd work overtime and get paid for it.

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:14 am

The responses in this thread suggest this is quite a devisive game mechanic. I agree that general puzzle elements would seem to be hard to pull off well in a multiplayer situation. There would be a danger of slowing the pace of play and of course mmo's tend to be built around repeating content. Blowing up the same bad guys several times can be fun, repeating the same puzzles probably less so.

However someone mentioned investigations earlier and this is an element that I feel could be worth looking at. Perhaps it would only work in single player arcs but it would be hugely thematic to get the feel of putting evidence together and figuring out the next steps in an investigation.

Maybe it could be done with branching questlines where you need to follow the thread of the plot to choose the most important next mission. Get it wrong and the story continues but there are consequences in terms of greater mission difficulty later or lower rewards. It would increase the feeling of being in an interactive world where the players choices matter.

Tomblady

Postby Tomblady » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:07 am

My husband Inkaris and I are strongly against puzzles and even more strongly against platforming.

If I want to play a puzzle or platformer I do just that. But If I play an mmo I dont want those elements.
If you do the puzzles too easy you can just leave them out. If you do them hard, most players (me too) will just look in a guide.

With platforming you will have players that find it easy and others who are more clumsy and who will get really frustrated.
And platforming in a game where some characters have the ability to fly sound just stupid. You would have to design it just so that flying would be disabled.
I remember it in SWToR, you had all kind of technics but you could not reach on a shelf that was 6 feet high... you had to do stupid jumping with a steering that was not developed for it. That was just dumb.

And btw. the platforming poll could have been a bit longer. Please add one vote to strongly negative.

chuckv3

Postby chuckv3 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:00 am

Mildly positive

Secret World (both the original and the Legends version) used this to really great advantage, often crafting puzzles that were ridiculously difficult. Of course the internet exists, so most of these had solutions posted online for the lazy and the easily frustrated, so that's my only real negative.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Dislike solving puzzles, but shockingly, I don't mind them. Superheroes should be forced to use their brains. Not everything should be Hulk Smash; even Hulk used his mind.

Lets not forget the Riddler. The best superhero game ever had puzzles; Arkham. Puzzles are just as superhero-ish as Capes & spandex.

Many villains are not as strong as the hero. So they utilize puzzles & technology to confuse or stall them.

mjplb

Postby mjplb » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:19 pm

Puzzles are fun if you have the time for them. I also like to questing with story driven materiel, so sometimes a puzzle would be a fun addition, defusing a bomb to save citizens! I wouldn't mind seeing identifiers with quests though, basically a rating system, combat/thought/exploration something along those lines, maybe I'm over thinking it.
“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” Christopher Reeve

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Puzzles can be fun as an optional activity.

If it is part of the story arcs, then I have to solve it the first time, then just go through the motions of it for each and every one of my characters each time I get to that part of the story. That will get old very quickly and discourage me from making more characters....which is half, if not most, of the fun of the game.

Queenie

Postby Queenie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Mildly positive. They aren't my favorite, but I don't mind doing them if I'm just bumming around.

Aquilonius

Postby Aquilonius » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 am

Mildly Positive.

I don't mind puzzles on the whole, thought not overly hard one.
I feel like a minor puzzle can, maybe, fit in a mission.
If the were puzzles I would rather they be found in open world, at the completion of puzzle there ought t be some kind of reward.

olepi

Postby olepi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 am

I would support a Supervillain, the Puzzler, with story arcs with puzzles in them. I would also support a puzzle mini-game where you can win stuff by solving puzzles.

I'm not a big supporter of puzzles in the middle of a mission, it would tend to break the momentum and flow.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:48 am

I would support a Supervillain, the Puzzler, with story arcs with puzzles in them. I would also support a puzzle mini-game where you can win stuff by solving puzzles.

I'm not a big supporter of puzzles in the middle of a mission, it would tend to break the momentum and flow.

I like this idea. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Return to “Polling Discussion”