Day-Night cycle question

GladDog

Day-Night cycle question

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm

I voted 120 minutes, two hours. I think that for me, a typical play session on the weekends is two hours. I may have 2 or 3 sessions a day on the weekends, but each is about two hours. So a two hour day-night cycle would be awesome, letting me see everything the zone has to offer!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

broxen

Re: Day-Night cycle question

Postby broxen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I voted 120 minutes, two hours. I think that for me, a typical play session on the weekends is two hours. I may have 2 or 3 sessions a day on the weekends, but each is about two hours. So a two hour day-night cycle would be awesome, letting me see everything the zone has to offer!
I need to go vote.

I think this is a good reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comment ... erseasons/

The good news is that since the cycle is simulated by the ship, changing it later is easy to do from a lore perspective
-Broxen

broxen

Postby broxen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:37 pm

I think CoH had a 1hr cycle.
-Broxen

Stagendo

Postby Stagendo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I went with 120 minutes also as it just seems to fit in away due to the first half being morning and the second being night sort of like our day and night cycle just scaled down. This would also provide certain darkness styled players who roleplay be able to "feel more power" at more times of the day.

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Most games I've played, both online and off, have a 120 minute day. It gives an hour of light and an hour of night, with the various specific groups that come out with those times (in CoH that would be the CoT in King's Row at night and Skulls in the day).
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 pm

60 mim. day
60 mim. night
good suggestion ... confessing me not paying attention to the other games ... gee hour for each man am I a sad player ( but learning )
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 am

I didn't vote in this poll because I think it really depends on how dark and oppressive the darkness is and what effect it has on gameplay.

Conan Exiles (a survival game) has an almost total blackout at night. Even torches only light up a few feet around you. It's so oppressive that, on PvE servers at least, the game comes to a virtual standstill when it's dark. Most PvE private servers have the night cycle set to pass really quickly because most people don't like the darkness.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:02 am

OK, a couple of thoughts. First we will not have an oppressive night cycle in my view. You can see what night might look like since our current view is shown in the Torch video -- that is night.

Of course, as we've said, we do make changes in response to the community's views. :)

Also, and I'm not trying to tilt the balance here or anything, just observing that if you played COH and were after the ghost badge in Croatoa, it seemed to me that since the ghosts came out at night, waiting a whole hour for night to resume could be an issue, assuming you did not get them all in the first go. It always seemed to me that I would arrive in the middle of the night, get some of them, and then either have to remember to come back, or wait around.

Of course, we could always have different cycles in different parts of the ship.

So I'm offering those observations up for thought.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:56 pm

hehe trying to convince humans on a ship that they're in a 'normal' environment, you'd probably have to have day/night cycles in the cities. As long as it doesn't bring the game to a standstill, like some survival games (!) I don't suppose it really matters too much how long they last.

As far as monsters are concerned, you could have areas that are perpetually 'gloomy' where aliens have managed to get into the electrical (or whatever) systems and sabotaged the lighting - or maybe just meteorite strikes taking out systems that aren't deemed worth repairing - or that it's just too dangerous to attempt to repair.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Of course, we could always have different cycles in different parts of the ship.
So, a tropical vacation level could have 24/7 sunshine on the beaches while the funerary/remembrance level could be perpetually night due to a "strange" short in the system caused by the g... g... g... ghosts!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Return to “Polling Discussion”