Did you play the closed MMORPG City of Heroes?

longtallbrad

Re: Did you play the closed MMORPG City of Heroes?

Postby longtallbrad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 am

Yes, I played it for years and developed close to fifty characters, many of whom I loved and still miss. Sometimes I have dreams that are clearly inspired and shaped by memories of that game, especially running or flying through a cityscape or some other environment at night.

LittleMissNutmeg

Postby LittleMissNutmeg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 pm

I wanted to reply here, as well. I felt it important to understand 'wh'y City of Heroes was so important to me, that it's made me so excited to see the opportunity in Ship of Heroes.

So, my answer is undoubtedly "Yes, and it was very significant to me".

It wasn't my 'first' MMO, but City of Heroes was the one that always made me 'feel good about myself'. I've played other games, been through the ringer of grindy MMOs and I always returned to City of Heroes, because it felt rewarding to be a member of Virtue's roleplay community. The game gave us a way to be ourselves or to be whoever we wanted, for good or ill. The systems released in 'Going Rogue' that allowed players from the opposing faction to swap sides was a beautiful way to bring people 'together'. That's why is was so important to me. In City of Heroes, whether you're a hero or a villain, you're a part of the community and not separated to create a false 'us versus them' mentality in a sorry way to drum up support for player versus player content.

Did I stay subscribed for all eight years? No. I joined City of Heroes later in 2008, but for the four years I played it, I have not experienced a single MMO that has been capable of drawing so many feels as that game did. City of Heroes did have it's flaws, yes. It was not a perfect system, but it was a perfect system for 'me'. It made me feel connected to the people (I could go to Pocket D and RP with the heroes) and it was the game that made me feel good for beating up the good guys (or bad guys, if you're on 'that' side of the fence)!

I hope, through my words that you guys get an idea of why I felt City of Heroes was the MMO for me and why I have hopes that a game like Ship of Heroes will keep me playing for years.
"Live life with a little spice!"

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes, it was very significant to me.

Truehero

Postby Truehero » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Yes, and it was very significant for me. Loved the game during closed beta and became a dedicated player all the way until they shut the servers down. Miss the game to this day...

Holy One

Postby Holy One » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes, and it was very significant to me

I was known as Holy One a full fledged Defender healer on the Protector server.

I played for the entire life of the game and even brought some real life friends along to play for a few years too.

Made some real life friends on there also :-)

Return to “Polling Discussion”