Day/ Night ratio question

GladDog

Day/ Night ratio question

Postby GladDog » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am

What is the ratio you would like to see in terms of the day/night cycle in Apotheosis City?

30 minutes of each
60 minutes of each
120 minutes of each
30 minutes of night, 60 minutes of day
30 minutes of night, 90 minutes of day
Something else, I’ll tell you in the forums
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Re: Day/ Night ratio question

Postby GladDog » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:04 am

I chose 30 night, 60 day. Just like in many MMORPG games, there should be more day time than night, since that is more conducive to being agressive and doing unusual things...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

gemini

Postby gemini » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:30 am

I chose 30 night, 60 day. Just like in many MMORPG games, there should be more day time than night, since that is more conducive to being agressive and doing unusual things...
Same here, night time is great, but too much of it compared to daylight can feel like a drain on the setting and trigger my sleep-eye. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the day/night cycle but I want more of my time to be spent in-game daytime.

I think I could accept a 90-30 as well though (90-40 even?)

Happy Thoughts

Postby Happy Thoughts » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 am

I don't have a strong preference for the cycle times, as long as they're just for ambience.

Some games include mission objectives that can only be completed during a certain portion of the day/night cycle. While I understand the thematic reasoning behind this, I hope that this type of thing will be avoided. As a player, it's frustrating to not be able to accomplish something simply because you logged on at the wrong time.

That said, day/night cycles are a great opportunity to present the city areas differently, and even swap out certain enemy types that might only thrive in the dark (or the light).

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am

I believe that playing in the night would be one of my favorite times to play - just for seeing all the cool special effects and the building lights etc. however I’m going to choose 30 minutes of night, and 90 minutes of day. Just because I would hate to have someone login at night and spent 15 minutes playing and say “this is too dark and I hate it”.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 am

I would choose a day/night ration of 2:1. Twice as much day.

I might vote for a 20/40 cycle, instead of 30/60.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Dezzer

Postby Dezzer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 am

I agree with what has been said. I think the night visuals are absolutely stunning and gorgeous, but in the end I feel it would be better to see more daylight than the night. I voted 30 night 60 day giving it that 2 to 1 ratio.

Although maybe equal grounds wouldn't too bad either depending on circumstances such as if needing to farm certain mobs that only appear at night and not during the day.
Some will say the glass is half full,
Others will say the glass is half empty,
I say just give me the drink! Cheers!

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:20 am

I agree with what has been said. I think the night visuals are absolutely stunning and gorgeous, but in the end I feel it would be better to see more daylight than the night. I voted 30 night 60 day giving it that 2 to 1 ratio.

Although maybe equal grounds wouldn't too bad either depending on circumstances such as if needing to farm certain mobs that only appear at night and not during the day.
Yes. It has been said some mobs only come out at night. And as we can already see, Apotheosis is stunning at night. I’m not sure if I recall correctly but wasn’t it a 30 minutes of each cycle in CoH? But for that reason of finding a balance between day and night seems appropriate. Perhaps it’s a 20-30 minute cycle. It seems like having long periods of one or the other could cause problems for those needing to “Go hunt kill skuls” that only come out at night. 😉 So a balance feels like a better and more natural choice. Just my two influence. Your mileage may vary.
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:10 pm

I think the timing in Croatoa may have been 30 day followed by 30 night, but I am just guessing. That was the zone where you could kill ghosts at night and not really in the day, and one needed to kill ghosts in order to get one of the accolades.

In our case, I do not think we would make killing nighttime enemies a condition of something like an accolade...people want those accolades!

I voted personally almost exactly like GoldenAce, and for the same reasons.

But i always vote before I read the poll threads. In my mind it helps keep me honest.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Since night isn't going to be a complete blackout, like in some really annoying games, I don't really think it matters too much. Having said that, I chose 90 minutes day, 30 minutes night.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:04 am

same here - 30 night 90 day is just fine for me - since it is nice having the optics but it should not be to long in my eyes.
On the other hand there could be events, when that cicle changes because of supernatural effects maybe (or a activist incident whatever you prefer)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 pm

I do not think we would make killing nighttime enemies a condition of something like an accolade...people want those accolades!
Okay. I’d like to change my vote, please. 😉
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:28 am

How about 90 day and 90 night?

I don't want less night than day because night looks SO damn good! I want to be in there the same amount of time as day!

And isn't that... realistic? Night may be a little shorter than day irl, but not by much.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:39 am

How about 90 day and 90 night?

I don't want less night than day because night looks SO damn good! I want to be in there the same amount of time as day!

And isn't that... realistic? Night may be a little shorter than day irl, but not by much.
Sorry to correct you but a bit shorter does not fit in most cases (except you live near the polar region) actually that is more than a 2/3 difference if you think about it - depending on the time of the year.
So, currently for example (in our area of the world) we have it dark at app. 20:00 and bright at 6:00 and that would be what you mean (I guess) but we are close to winter - so the time when nights are the longest - most of the year the bright part of the day is way longer (up to app. a quarter of the day illuminated).
Still of course I don´t want to downtalk your vote since I agree that they made a great job with the colouring at night-times sunset and dawn but the argument about realism did not really klick to me.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 pm

We need lots of night, how else am I supposed to catch ghost type pokemon?
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Return to “Polling Discussion”