Faces vs Speed of Launch question

GladDog

Faces vs Speed of Launch question

Postby GladDog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Consider this: we’re going to spend a certain amount of effort on speeding up launch, and a certain amount of effort on making the characters, especially faces, look better. Select one:

1 - Faces are extremely important
2 - Faces are a little bit important
3 - I have no strong opinion
4 - Speed of launch is a higher priority than faces
5 - Focus all effort on speed of launch; ignore faces
6 - Something else, I‘ll tell you in the forums
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Re: Faces vs Speed of Launch question

Postby GladDog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:57 pm

SPEED OF LAUNCH!

The face design tool is powerful enough to make an exceptional variety of faces. I would rather see the game released, and any further work on the face tool can wait for a while.

I was able to make a reasonable facsimile of Angelina Jolie's face. I picked her because she has a notable appearance that anyone that has seen a recent enough movie should be able to recognize. If I could do that, I would be happy if that is as far as it got for at least a few years.

Grazer01

Postby Grazer01 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Faces (just like any graphic thing) can be in an update later on. I voted for launch.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm

I choose:
Speed of launch is a higher priority than faces.
My reason is this is an item that can wait for more work later.
A lot of the time when I create a character He/She will have a mask, full helmet, or have a robot/android head. So if it saves time for other work all good.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Faces are already impressive, just launch :D
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:03 pm

lets just slow down. launch is coming way too soon.

Sorry channeling one of the other Successors. :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Logan

Postby Logan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:06 pm

From what I've seen of the character creator, it's already really impressive. I'd definitely prefer a faster launch rather than working on what I believe to already be a great system.

Ravynwynd

Postby Ravynwynd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 am

VOTE FOR POLISH

We have waited this long. I say. "Bring out the polish." To have Ship of Heroes shine so much that it's so bright, that it's this frickken awesome beacon that not only draws us to it, but draws others from other mmorpgs to Ship of Heroes.

What there is from the video I reviewed, seems impressive. I'm currently writing documentation on SOH, with their 380 morph sets, 2 or 3 dozen human eye models. If the Devs have some more content to add for faces to really make SOH shine. I say, go for it.

What I would like to see; and I believe I might not be the only one.

FACE

• Facial Tattoos

• Piercings

• Pointy Ears

• Cat Ears

• Wolf Ears

• Facial Hair (even for females)

• Scars

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 am

We think this was a good question for many reasons. Among them is the fact that we are kind of surprised by the response -- 59% for launching more quickly and 34% for improving the faces.

We're experiencing some delays now, anyways, so adding to them seems to be not the direction that the community wants to go.

On the other hand, we will be showing the CCT, with a set of upgrades, in a couple of months anyway, and giving more supporters a chance to play with it.

I think we can play this by ear (pun intended).

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:53 pm

I voted for speed of launch, assuming that work could continue on fancy faces, etc. after launch. Getting the game launched and, hopefully, a regular revenue stream from players seemed sort of important ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:36 pm

I may have clicked a little too quick but I think I will stand by my original choice. I said faces are a little bit important. Honestly , unless you really want to zoom in on someone, lots of extreme details really aren't that important. As much as I want something to play, I don't want any company to rush a less than ready product. Also, CoT still says they will launch their character creator in the Fall so you know there will be comparisons so you want to give your best first impression.

Zagadka

Postby Zagadka » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Can't really answer without knowing how frequently the camera will show a face in regular play... but overall indifferent.

Khrome

Postby Khrome » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 pm

If the speed of launch is prioritized, please do make sure that faces have at least a good framework in place for improvement later on.

It's always heartbreaking when a developer shelves features or improvements and forgets about them later on, or finds out that they're nearly impossible to change. Don't make this mistake!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 pm

If the speed of launch is prioritized, please do make sure that faces have at least a good framework in place for improvement later on.

It's always heartbreaking when a developer shelves features or improvements and forgets about them later on, or finds out that they're nearly impossible to change. Don't make this mistake!
I'll quote my previous post. Please do not worry about the face tool. It is plenty powerful, although I think they want to add a few effects like tattoos and birthmarks, and maybe more extensive makeup for the girl models.
The face design tool is powerful enough to make an exceptional variety of faces. I would rather see the game released, and any further work on the face tool can wait for a while.

I was able to make a reasonable facsimile of Angelina Jolie's face. I picked her because she has a notable appearance that anyone that has seen a recent enough movie should be able to recognize. If I could do that, I would be happy if that is as far as it got for at least a few years.

SwitchFade

Postby SwitchFade » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:30 pm

As long as it is on par with CoH at issue 4, then focus on speed. If it is lagging that, focus on polish.

Best,

Switch

Return to “Polling Discussion”