Make some powers perma question

Red5

Re: Make some powers perma question

Postby Red5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm

I am going to say yes, but if I can make it permanent I want the clicky changed to a toggle. Hate the thought of having to click a power every two minutes to keep it running.
I am sure I am talking about two separate things here, but I was hoping CoH would bring back the auto attack and maybe surprise us with 2 or 3 more lol.

Some of us like mashing buttons, but I have to agree...with my regen scrapper back in the day I hated having to mash the various "heal" powers as they were no longer "regen" powers...most having lost there toggles.

I am not lazy by any means, BUT.... feels wrong to write macro's, scripts, and/or use gaming mouse/keyboard to activate powers for me. I much rather have no need for such things from the game...cause they cover the auto attacks, and toggles properly.
This is actually an important question. I voted yes, but I also think it should take some effort to achieve perma powers and require some tradeoffs.

That way it makes it an option for some, but others will want to go a different way.
Agreed is an important question! My hopes the pendulum doesn't swing one way or the other to such an extreme. It is also very difficult to give an educated opinion on the matter.

I don't disagree with the notion that it should take effort to achieve, but from what generic terms we have heard already... I fear it might not be worth the effort.

I think (if I understood it right) Golden Ace was saying if you meant "trade off" by augment slotting...could be interesting choice options. I certainly like his ideal that if a power is perma it gets a toggle effect.

Or give us auto attack every 15 levels'ish so that we can place on made perma powers or just activate on powers that have cool down/timers.
...reporting in.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 pm

While I don't think it's been suggested by anyone, even if some powers are able to be made permanent, some powers must *not* be able to be made permanent. In my mind, powers with a minor effect (in CoH, say Maneuvers or Targeting Drone) should already be toggles, if not outright no-cost auto powers; powers that have a moderate effect (Accelerate Metabolism, or Energize) should be possible to make permanent, with some ingenuity and sacrifice in other areas; powers with a game-changing effect (Unstoppable, Elude, Light Form, Domination) should not be perma-able under any circumstance.

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 am

So these responses were why I was asking because I too agree you should be able to perma powers becuase you are sacrificing other stats to slot set bonuses for recharge so it’s completely fair imo

I do see the problem with making elude and unstoppable perma or powers like moment of glory. In my best efforts I was still like 90 sec away from having elude ready to pop again after the crash so I think that’s fine cause u can get slaughtered in that 90 sec in pvp lol but also is enough for you to recharge it in between boss fights if needed

Loving this discussion and missing this game
Code faster code monkeys lol and I mean code monkeys in the most respectable way possible

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I voted yes. It was a sad day when Hasten was no longer perma after ED...

I really thought that Hasten should have been a passive power. Instead of giving a 70% boost to recharge on a click, it should have been 35% and always on. I would have reworked the Fitness Pool as follows;

6 - Athleticism - Swift + Hurdle, neither effect becomes active until you slot it
6 - Hasten as a passive
14 - Resolve - a click power that is a small blue + a small green on a 30 second timer. You can increase each effect + recharge.
20 - Physical Perfection - just like the ancillary pool power

Stamina would be a passive inherent power. At level 1, it adds 1% to the recovery rate. At level 2, 2%, at level 3, 3%, and so on.

Hasten in the Speed pool is replaced by Speed Force, which is a running speed buff + a small defense boost, similar to what they gave in Combat Jumping and Hover.
I agree with all GladDog says here.
The main point I to want make is once a power is set.

DO NOT "NERF" IT!!!
Nothing worse than building a Hero only to have him/her gutted further down the line. ;)
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 pm

FYI, nerfs will happen. It is the nature of these things.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm

FYI, nerfs will happen. It is the nature of these things.
Yea lets hope we can keep it to a minimum ;)
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am

Agreed. Minimizing it is the goal.

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 am

Agreed. Minimizing it is the goal.
That’s one of my requests as well. Thank you.

And yes it should be able to be perma’d. But the game changing powers I agree should be nearly impossible to perma.
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am

Also, CoH did not play like any other game. While most MMORPGs reward cookie cutter builds, CoH was not like that. I saw a huge variety of character builds do very, very well in the game. CoH was about having fun! And there were lots of people having lots of fun with 'less than optimal' builds. My buddy did very, very well with an Illusion / Kinetics Controller, something considered 'anti-optimal' by guide writers... I build a Scrap-troller using a Darkity Dark Dark Scrapper. Was it optimal? No. Was it fun? Heck yeah!
Thank you, GD! I have been preaching that to others for years. The variety and ingenuity that players came up with were some of the most amazing and varied combinations. While the scale of effectiveness varied, a character that needed to be carried through the game was very rare. I knew of many more characters deleted due to lack of slots for a new one than ineffectiveness.

And by the way, once IOs were added and of you invested literally a ton of effort into a design with many purple sets there was at least one archetype and two powerset combinations where you could still perma hasten by layering recharge buffs. I had both of them. And yes, to Consultant’s point it took an enormous amount of effort and in game currency to achieve. But so many said that it couldn’t be done. 😉
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Return to “Polling Discussion”