Time spent crafting, harvesting etc question

GladDog

Time spent crafting, harvesting etc question

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm

I like crafting. I like the involvement and the break from the non-stop action of most games. But I look at it as a break, not a staple, of my gameplay. However, if the crafting is good, and allows you to make top notch stuff (such as the system in ESO), then I could see spending 20% of game time doing it. If crafting is average, then 10% of my time is about right.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Re: Time spent crafting, harvesting etc question

Postby Eulb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 pm

I will avail my self to 20-30% of the game time to crafting... if yes.... it produces top notch stuff. I got a post from consultant that he is planing on letting crafted stuff equal to raid stuff so there is an incentive to Craft. For with out being able to make GOOD stuff , why would one ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 am

I don't mind spending time to craft things that are useful, especially when max level. I hope the crafted raid gear isn't too easy to make at the same time.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:02 am

im looking forward to crafting taking players out of the grind of missions, being able to do different things and create something that i could never find in the wild.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:17 am

I'm not into the crafting aspect of the game, so, less than 1% for me. In addition, I prefer enhancements (aka, CoHV) over gear.
Last edited by Styrj on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Currently I'm slumming it in SWTOR. This game has one of the most comprehensive crafting systems I have seen in a while. No one person can create everything that is necessary for a character, so you need to make, sell, and buy in order to get the best stuff. Recently, the game has included the ability to craft the most powerful end-game gear, but it requires a great deal of time and material harvesting. I like that aspect, too. Just my two motes of dust.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:02 pm

It depends entirely on how interesting it is to craft.

If it's the only way of getting certain upgrades, then I'll do it, but I'll do it slowly, and it'll be a minimal bit of my gameplay.

If it's a fun challenge in and of itself, then I'll easily spend up to 20% of my game time doing it.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Just my two motes of dust.
LOL @Flagwaver

Love that phrase.

"That'll be 4 bunnies, and 6 motes of dust, please."

-Griff

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:13 am

Harvesting, crafting and trading is sort of a triple play -- some love it as an end in itself and others think of it as either a necessary evil or a fun break from the missions.

Flagwaver, I also have spent a good deal of time playing SWTOR, and I love to craft within that game. It's complex and fun, and you're right that it is quite possible to spend more time crafting than playing (if you have the in-game money) in SWTOR. Crafting has actually been simplified in SWTOR, in my view in the last few big releases, and yet it is still complicated.

One of the things that came out of the surveys we did on the Ship of Heroes website is that we found that SWTOR is the number one game that our community plays, after COH. SWTOR is where a lot of us settled at the closure. In my case after trying multiple other games without feeling at home.

But if you have been playing SWTOR for a while, you encounter the toxic chat, the terrible teaming system, and the obvious intention of the devs to convert the game from an MMO into a massively single player game. And of course, you're playing their game stories, not creating your own. Want to create a character that's a force-user who works as a free trader or mercenary? Not allowed! You've got the eight stories (and they are fun), but after that, it's kind of repetitive.

Over time, we're hoping to build something much more free form here, where the players can experiment and try things out, even if they fail. We think that is part of the fun.

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Crafting is fine for those who like it, but it isn't exactly germain to the superhero genre. Sure, you have your occasional inventor characters in the source material, but they are relatively rare, and it is hard to justify adding an elaborate crafting system just for them. Adding an elaborate crafting system for everyone else is merely adding a subsystem for the sake of adding a subsystem, which I'm not a fan of unless it has strong genre ties.

The primary goal of any game should be "fun", but the primary goal of an MMORPG ought to be immersion, and anything that interferes with the feeling that you're a superhero fighting villains (as opposed to a player playing a video game) should be carefully reconsidered. I include things like crafting and looting (in a superhero game) among them.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:17 pm

I disagree, I think crafting IS very much a part of the genre. Across both Marvel and DC you may have the rare super genius inventor, but you have tinkerers and enhancers throughout almost every group. Most SGs had some kind of tinkerer (from tech to magic) that enhanced everyone else, even if only in transportation or costuming. It's not JUST about the hero/villain that exists merely as a result of gadgets, but how these "super" things weave into the world.

my "two motes",

-Griff

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 pm

I agree that crafting is important yes teaming is too.... don't forget exploration and looking for the elusive Easter eggs and just gaining map knowledge. i was disappointed with COH when then made the " FOG of war" removel a reward.... i loved flying up and down and fighting through map to just clear the fog.... it went along with my exploring
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Wolfshadw

Postby Wolfshadw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm not into the crafting aspect of the game, so, less than 1% for me.
Ditto. Never did it for me.

-Wolf sends

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm

That's one of the joys of a crafting system and market system. You don't need to be the one to make the enhancements since you can just purchase them off of the market. Those who enjoy crafting can craft and put their crafted items into the market so you can give up your hard earned unobtanium dust to purchase them. It's a win-win. You get the enhancement and the crafter gets paid for their crafting.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 am

Harvesting and Crafting are not required activities. Some just don't want to, or don't care. Some love it. but the little goodies you can make or buy -- those are part of the Superhero genre. How do I know? I read Batman comics as a kid...and he always had the best stuff. Even Superman had a boatload of stuff, not to mention his secret artic base filled to brim with toys and gadgets of all time.

Even Thor has the Hammer, but also (in Lore) the girdle and other stuff that enhances his powers. That stuff was all crafted...

You won't need to do it. But in the 25th century it just stands to reason that technology and magic could supplement and expand your powers in clever ways.

Return to “Polling Discussion”