Preferred Class for Soloing question

GladDog

Preferred Class for Soloing question

Postby GladDog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:05 am

I voted melee DPS on this, because the combination of solid, if not spectacular, defense combined with good mez resist and strong DPS makes soloing a challenging but fun experience. If I am going to grind for XP, this is my preferred AT to do so with.

However, I truly love to tank, and even though it is slower going to go it alone as a tank, I like soloing with a tank for the chance to join tough encounters like GMs and event battles that you randomly run into. I've tanked a lot of random GM encounters just because I was there and not committed to a Task Force or a mission arc.

But I took the question at face value and if I was soloing and not planning on teaming at all, I would rather be using a Scrapper. A Dark/ Dark/ Dark Scrapper if I have my druthers!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Styrj

Re: Preferred Class for Soloing question

Postby Styrj » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 am

I'm a soloer at heart, so, I guess, when it comes right down to it, I would have to go with a Dark/Regen Scrapper (my all-time favorite). However, I do enjoy soloing Blasters and Dominators as well. If there were a "BlapperDom" class :D , I would definitely pick that.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm

I loved soloing my Tanker. However, I could solo with all of my characters. It just depends on your play style.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Yup, my go to solo hero was a DM/Regen scrapper too.

Scappers are the perfect solo class - pretty hard to kill while still doing decent DPS. Any other archetype traditionally sacrifices one for t'other.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

kondospl

Postby kondospl » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:49 pm

I usualy go for Crowd Control or Healer.
They're hardest for solo'ing, making the experience usualy more challenging.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 pm

If I'm soloing then I usually prefer a blaster since I can attack the enemies from a distance. Or sometimes a healer, since even if I take damage I can heal up during the fight and try to outlast the enemy. It might take a while to solo while doing that but it's a lot of fun :)

Malice Johansson

Postby Malice Johansson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Though I preferred ranged characters in almost all group content, my favorite soloers were almost universally melee, in particular my Earth/Earth Dom. Gimme that. Well, partly because she could do both, but...yeah. That.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 am

Pet classes where generally the best solo players. Hit while not being the target of fire

Tanks where good too, because they were not squishy

Codex

Postby Codex » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm

My spines/regen scrapper was great at soloing. A few nice AoE attacks plus high single target attacks.
aka Backer 68

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 pm

I did a lot of soloing in CoH, so my generally preferred class was... any. There were some that were more effective though:

For hard targets like AV's and GM's: ill/rad controller. I never played anything else that could solo a GM without a cheat power such as a Shivan Shard. It was remarkably strong against single targets but squishy and could get overwhelmed by numbers.

For general soloing up to and including AV's: Fire/WP scrapper. A little low on AoE damage, but very tough. This was the character I soloed the Incarnate DA arc with.

And just for flavour: Traps/Dark defender. Not nearly as tough, but still capable of +4/x8 minus the AV's. It required patience and set-up, but Carnie and Malta missions in the late 40's were how I best remember this character.

broxen

Postby broxen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Shivan Shard.
I did a lot of soloing on my Emp Defender Sarim. Shivan Shards were my go to tool
-Broxen

Skreeya

Postby Skreeya » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 am

I ran solo most of the time and played a fire/energy blaster. Had very few issues.
Server: Pinnacle. SG: Titan Corp.
Skrei(Fire/Energy blapper)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am

An Emp could do anything with a shivan and snowman. Towards the end we could get some kind of temporary goldside assault soldier pet too, who was kind of blaster-ish, as I recall. And have Katy Hannon on speed-dial if needed.

I always thought it was fun to create combinations that perhaps were not intended by the devs. Emp with a team of pets (well, for three minutes anyway). Awesome.

In terms of soloing, I soloed all of my characters at first. Controllers were hardest (thank goodness for pistol and St. Louis Slugger). My first character was a fire/WP scrapper named...Consultant. Very good, all-purpose character.

Codex

Postby Codex » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:27 pm

For soloing, I think a melee DPS class.

In CoH, have the ill/rad being able to solo AVs was so much fun but getting there was a tough ride.
aka Backer 68

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Mine would be scrapper or tank. Like to get up close and personal when I'm the only one.

Return to “Polling Discussion”