Inspirations as food question

Solari

Re: Inspirations as food question

Postby Solari » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:52 am

thanks for the info :) not never played fallout ;).
I always been kind of narrowed down to only a few selected games, since my hobbies and wife don´t leave many time to play ;) So I choose what I really want and only try out new stuff when it absolutely hooks me from the beginning or friends talk me into it (happened once ;) )
No worries. :) Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 are good if you like open-world RPGs. I'd go for The Witcher 3 if you want to try something new in that vein. The Witcher 3 is the best RPG I have ever played and Steam says I've spent 190 hours on it. :shock: Rise of the Tomb Raider is another good shout if you don't like a fantasy setting.

I went through a bit of a gaming lull for a while and bought a PS4 Pro a while back. Exclusives like The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn are easily some of the best games I've played in years. It's keeping me entertained while I wait for Cyberpunk 2077 and the CoH successor(s) :)

Anyways, sorry, off topic!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:11 am

thanks for the info :) not never played fallout ;).
I always been kind of narrowed down to only a few selected games, since my hobbies and wife don´t leave many time to play ;) So I choose what I really want and only try out new stuff when it absolutely hooks me from the beginning or friends talk me into it (happened once ;) )
No worries. :) Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 are good if you like open-world RPGs. I'd go for The Witcher 3 if you want to try something new in that vein. The Witcher 3 is the best RPG I have ever played and Steam says I've spent 190 hours on it. :shock: Rise of the Tomb Raider is another good shout if you don't like a fantasy setting.

I went through a bit of a gaming lull for a while and bought a PS4 Pro a while back. Exclusives like The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn are easily some of the best games I've played in years. It's keeping me entertained while I wait for Cyberpunk 2077 and the CoH successor(s) :)

Anyways, sorry, off topic!
hey, nothing to be sorry for always interesting to hear something new :)
Oh, I am all for Fantasy and SF, it is just, that I use my PS4 mainly for my Sports Simulation (FIFA - sorry in Europe we are more into Soccer than in the States ;) ). I explained my wife I need the PS4 and the game for therapy reasons (got a hand disability) because movement is good to stimulate my nerves :).
But beside that I am writing on a Novel Cycle for which I created a full Universe (on which I am still working too ;) ) and am leading my own little Roll Playing Group in which I check for flaws in my Universe (and have fun searching for them ;) ). That beside full time work and being married my time is so narrow, that I am always careful what I try out - got to admit though, that Witcher kind of sounds interesting :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 am

Oh, I am all for Fantasy and SF, it is just, that I use my PS4 mainly for my Sports Simulation (FIFA - sorry in Europe we are more into Soccer than in the States ;) ). I explained my wife I need the PS4 and the game for therapy reasons (got a hand disability) because movement is good to stimulate my nerves :).
But beside that I am writing on a Novel Cycle for which I created a full Universe (on which I am still working too ;) ) and am leading my own little Roll Playing Group in which I check for flaws in my Universe (and have fun searching for them ;) ). That beside full time work and being married my time is so narrow, that I am always careful what I try out - got to admit though, that Witcher kind of sounds interesting :)
Ah cool, someone else in Europe to play with in a sensible timezone when SoH releases! :D I'm in the UK so I understand that - all my friends play FIFA although I'm more partial to NHL in all honesty. :)

I know the feeling as other hobbies and commitments require time too - good luck :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 am

Ah cool, someone else in Europe to play with in a sensible timezone when SoH releases! :D I'm in the UK so I understand that - all my friends play FIFA although I'm more partial to NHL in all honesty. :)

I know the feeling as other hobbies and commitments require time too - good luck :)
thanks for that :)
NHL? Well, why not - is not really my kind of Sport, since I prefer stable ground but sure, is interesting :)
Yep, we have a small group of european players already - and that makes me a little bit relaxed. I will definitely have times when I can play with the american heroes too but it is easier to have somebody close ;)
Just out of curiousity - where in the UK?
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Sentinel King

Postby Sentinel King » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:29 pm

I'm late to the game here but will throw my two cents in just for giggles. I agree with the notion that edibles in the heat of battles are mood-breaking for me. The CoX style of "popping Inspirations" was very easy for me to get behind thematically.

I'm surrounded by baddies and getting my butt kicked. I could run away but that's more of a villain move than hero. Only options? Defeat or victory. Victory will require I dig deep and find the will to succeed.

Think of every movie/tv show where the hero is about to get dead....cue the cutscene where they think back on a past happy/sad/glorious/enraging event that suddenly motivates them to monkey-stomp all the badguys in close proximity. That's what "popping inspirations" means for me.

Watching my health drop and eating nachos or a donut just seems meh.

However, I'm all for edibles as buffing vehicles. Like the Avengers getting shawarma after the alien battle...maybe it grants them each and extra 2% health regen for 30 minutes or something.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 am

I'm late to the game here but will throw my two cents in just for giggles. I agree with the notion that edibles in the heat of battles are mood-breaking for me. The CoX style of "popping Inspirations" was very easy for me to get behind thematically.

I'm surrounded by baddies and getting my butt kicked. I could run away but that's more of a villain move than hero. Only options? Defeat or victory. Victory will require I dig deep and find the will to succeed.

Think of every movie/tv show where the hero is about to get dead....cue the cutscene where they think back on a past happy/sad/glorious/enraging event that suddenly motivates them to monkey-stomp all the badguys in close proximity. That's what "popping inspirations" means for me.

Watching my health drop and eating nachos or a donut just seems meh.

However, I'm all for edibles as buffing vehicles. Like the Avengers getting shawarma after the alien battle...maybe it grants them each and extra 2% health regen for 30 minutes or something.
like I said :)
anyway - welcome here and thanks for your share - sounds exactly as I see it and is nicely explained :)

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 pm

My belief is that inspirations are supposed to be an interior act of will that allows a hero to keep on fighting when all is lost to reach deep inside for that certain something extra that makes them a hero.

You don't see heroes munch on a pretzel or inject themselves in the middle of battle to get healed, gain energy, or receive the benefit of a break free. Eating a pretzel shouldn't make you able to do heroic feats. You might as well make the pretzel the hero after all anyone with enough pretzels can do the same thing.

Heroes call upon their inner strength to summon that certain extra quality that allows them to come out on top and finish the fight, enabling them to surmount the unsurmountable. For that reason I'm against turning inspirations into a food item or an injection or anything else other than what they should be - An act of will.

GA
Agreed, no food please. Although I'm not completely against the stim injection idea...sometimes the spirit is willing but the body is spongy and bruised. ;)

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Vertigo Blue .... hee hee your funny too...
...sometimes the spirit is willing but the body is spongy and bruised. ;)
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 am

Vertigo Blue .... hee hee your funny too...
...sometimes the spirit is willing but the body is spongy and bruised. ;)
I wonder, what could answer that one without G.A.s understandable input of giving wrong impressions for injecting or taking something. I mean, of course a energy pack (or however you want to call your batteries ;) ) can work but only for tech-oriented heroes.

Why I am coming up with that one again?
I have been thinking about it and as I stated before, food would only be something for being around in the city and preparing for going into trouble but not for a fight.
So it has to be something else (in my eyes). But is there really something which fits the Cyborg or Armor-wearing hero as much as the Battlemage or the Mutant?
What I have been wondering is, if it is too much trouble for programming to have a neutral regeneration thing (in the background) which has changing looks depending who has it. So for a Tech Hero it looks like a energy cell, for a magic hero it looks like an gem artefact and for the Mutant - well, I still have to think about that one ;)

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:22 am

I wonder, what could answer that one without G.A.s understandable input of giving wrong impressions for injecting or taking something. I mean, of course a energy pack (or however you want to call your batteries ;) ) can work but only for tech-oriented heroes.
True...I've seen stims in other games and didn't think much of it, but I suppose it does give the wrong impression. The beauty of the "inspiration" system as Golden Ace pointed out was that it came directly from the inner strength of the character. Like he said, they were "inspired" to do better and so they found the endurance, strength, etc. to keep going. So maybe we should think more abstractly and come up with options more internal than food, stims, etc. rather than external influences...

What internally motivates/allows people to keep going in stressful situations? I've been brainstorming so I'll throw some ideas out there:

-Focus
-Willpower - could call them "Wills"
-Clarity
-Notions
-Elevations
-Fervor
-Ardency - Ardencies?
-Vibrance - Vibrancies?
-Impulses
-Force - though I'm sure Disney/Lucas Arts will have a word or two about that...
-Resolves
-Essences
-Sparks

And my favorite so far:

Coruscation:
1. a sudden gleam or flash of light.
2. a striking display of brilliance or wit.

Could be simplified down to "Cores." Also sounds techy enough to apply to tech heroes.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 pm

I do like ‘cores’
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 am

Yep I was a good thing bringing it up again - Vertigo is really creative :)

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Hehe, I try. :oops: :D

I also like the idea of "Insights" and/or "Boosts" as people had mentioned in the Inspiration Question thread.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:10 am

Hehe, I try. :oops: :D

I also like the idea of "Insights" and/or "Boosts" as people had mentioned in the Inspiration Question thread.
maybe something like vitalization could work too?

Jeuraud

Postby Jeuraud » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:56 am

True...I've seen stims in other games and didn't think much of it, but I suppose it does give the wrong impression. The beauty of the "inspiration" system as Golden Ace pointed out was that it came directly from the inner strength of the character.
Except they didn't, they were consumables which could be purchased or received in drops. If you wanted to see them that way, fine, but they could just as easily be stimpacks, or one-shot spells, or even high caloric food for the speedster types, whatever worked for your character origin. Personally I never liked the name Inspiration because they were consumables, and didn't fit the name to me.

I do like the name Sparks, which is generic enough to cover any origin and just sounds cool :D .

As for food itself... only for pre-combat.

Return to “Polling Discussion”