Inspirations as food question

Eulb

Re: Inspirations as food question

Postby Eulb » Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Kelha Your opinion is worth more that 2 cents ...
I guess i need to get my 2 cents in here. At first i wasn't sure how i felt about the idea and my first instinct was to vote no preference, but the more i thought about it i realized i don't like the idea. The food idea doesn't seem to match the genre.
and I'm possitive that the DEV's will label the food insperations stuff so it will fit the genre ...
like a 1 hour nanite boost from the farms on lvl 4 -- 1HNB -- on the lable ...

kind of like that ???? is that what your looking for ???
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:55 am

yep G.A. definitely like wendy and jack in the box. but like I said they only have Mc D and Burger King over here - and seriously you can´t compare that to the burgers you get at some places in over there in the states :(.
Nothing to do, than making them myself ;)

Back to the Topic:

Food got one major disturbance in my eyes and Eulb, of course the Devs if they are creative enough can make anything fitting anywhere - but the question is if it does fit on first thight as I see it. What I am talking about is best said with an example. Picture following scene: You are in the middle of a fight because some aliens are invading the ship and are trying to steal technology. Basically it is a question of being fast because they have the place crowded to guard their tech-team which is supposed to teleport the needed stuff out. So you try to fight through the crowd to get their and smack them on their fingers for trying to take what isn´t theirs ;). So in mid crowd you are getting health-trouble. Does it sound right to you to take a time out and ask them to wait until you packed out and ate your sandwich (by the way, where to you keep them in a skin-tight uniform ;) pocketuniverse like Pym ;)?)

I mean, of course they will be so nice to wait until you finished your lunch - but seriously what kind of food has an immidiate impact on health and so on?
Of course you could say that is the future so food can do that but it is not the natural thought in my mind.

And if we talk about nanites, chemicals, magical artifacts - there are many possibilities which could be used but none of it needs to be or automatically fits to food.
Like I said only thought which would work for me is going to a diner (or what you like) or your personal base where you prepare yourself some lunch before entering a mission. So you got the extra energy (like in real life when you know you have a hard working day and get yourself some more breakfast to keep you going) but not during a fight.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:29 am

I prefer the idea of Stimpaks, pills or patches that would be craftable.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:46 am

stimpaks?
Sorry am not sure, what you mean by that (like stim short for stimulation or do get that wrong?)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:14 am

stimpaks?
Sorry am not sure, what you mean by that (like stim short for stimulation or do get that wrong?)
You obviously haven't played any of the fallout games, then. :D

Basically, yes. Think along the lines of the Star Trek replacements for hypodermic needles, though *pssssshhh*. Something that will release compounds into the bloodstream quickly and efficiently.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 am

I just cannot agree with putting drugs/stims into your body as part of a hero game.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:28 am

I just cannot agree with putting drugs/stims into your body as part of a hero game.
What about all that reckless glugging of potions Geralt does in the Witcher? :D

I don't see much difference between eating herbs/plants for their active ingredients and using a stim to be honest but I suppose it depends on your hero's origin. One hero might be happy popping pills or drinking potions, another might recite an incantation from a self-destructing scroll... I have no idea what inspirations were actually meant to be in CoH,

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:39 am

I'm going to throw this out there as a proposal. Since this is set in the future, suppose sometime in the past, to combat disease and promote health, everyone was innoculated with nanites aka Sparks. Now, everyone is born with them already in their system

With this in mind, you could have the following:

1) Augments(Enhancements) permanently modifies the Sparks to increase power attributes
- so slotting your powers with Augments upgrades the Sparks.
- crafting for Augments would consist of plans and items, and each Augment slot would a certain amount of Sparks or percentage of Sparks.

2) Activators(Inspirations) activates functions of the Sparks which grants temporary boosts
- so you would Activate a function of the Sparks which would heal you by a certain amount, generate energy for a certain amount of time, etc.
- crafting for Activators would consist of programs.
- if an Activator is dropped, it is an idea of how to program the Sparks.

Before being able to craft either Augments or Activators, you'd need some kind of general crafting device, like a medical table or Cerebral.

With the above, you wouldn't be taking a snack break or taking drugs. I also wouldn't think it should affect character origins either. And, of course, the names are up for debate.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:03 pm

What about all that reckless glugging of potions Geralt does in the Witcher? :D
I am not at all familiar with Witcher. Does not sound like a superhero game or book
I have no idea what inspirations were actually meant to be in CoH,
They were not consumables. I.e not food or drugs or something like that. Take the root from the word inspiration – inspire. They were that something within that inspired you to go beyond what you normally could do allowing you to hit with a little more damage, be a bit more accurate when you needed it, break out of a hold or be able to withstand blows that would normally put you down (resistance, health, defense), or comeback after you were defeated.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:13 am

I imagine that there will be a food snack or inspiration that should be consumed or activated BEFORE a fight ... and the time duration for that inspiration will last for ... ??? 1 min. , 3 mins. 10 mins. ??? i don't know that is for the DEV's to decide

that is what I was thinking its just like a self-buff that one could craft for themselves ... and have it available for the time when you out solo-ing
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:53 am

I don't care if 'boosts' or 'inspirations' or 'stimulants' are labelled 'food' or 'vegemite sandwiches' as long as they're instant. One of my annoyances with another MMO (the one I went to after CoX) was eating food and basically being rooted to the spot whilst doing so. I get that it was part of the game design (I guess so the player couldn't get more hp etc in the middle of a fight) but I liked the design of CoX where an inspiration could be popped at any time. It helped those of us that needed some help in combat due to being really bad at it.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:28 am

I imagine that there will be a food snack or inspiration that should be consumed or activated BEFORE a fight ... and the time duration for that inspiration will last for ... ??? 1 min. , 3 mins. 10 mins. ??? i don't know that is for the DEV's to decide

that is what I was thinking its just like a self-buff that one could craft for themselves ... and have it available for the time when you out solo-ing
what I was talking about :) First to the Diner - then cleaning some clocks ;)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 am

I'm going to throw this out there as a proposal. Since this is set in the future, suppose sometime in the past, to combat disease and promote health, everyone was innoculated with nanites aka Sparks. Now, everyone is born with them already in their system

With this in mind, you could have the following:

1) Augments(Enhancements) permanently modifies the Sparks to increase power attributes
- so slotting your powers with Augments upgrades the Sparks.
- crafting for Augments would consist of plans and items, and each Augment slot would a certain amount of Sparks or percentage of Sparks.

2) Activators(Inspirations) activates functions of the Sparks which grants temporary boosts
- so you would Activate a function of the Sparks which would heal you by a certain amount, generate energy for a certain amount of time, etc.
- crafting for Activators would consist of programs.
- if an Activator is dropped, it is an idea of how to program the Sparks.

Before being able to craft either Augments or Activators, you'd need some kind of general crafting device, like a medical table or Cerebral.

With the above, you wouldn't be taking a snack break or taking drugs. I also wouldn't think it should affect character origins either. And, of course, the names are up for debate.
sounds like a nice and origin fitting concept :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 am

stimpaks?
You obviously haven't played any of the fallout games, then. :D

Basically, yes. Think along the lines of the Star Trek replacements for hypodermic needles, though *pssssshhh*. Something that will release compounds into the bloodstream quickly and efficiently.
thanks for the info :) not never played fallout ;).
I always been kind of narrowed down to only a few selected games, since my hobbies and wife don´t leave many time to play ;) So I choose what I really want and only try out new stuff when it absolutely hooks me from the beginning or friends talk me into it (happened once ;) )

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 am

I don't care if 'boosts' or 'inspirations' or 'stimulants' are labelled 'food' or 'vegemite sandwiches' as long as they're instant. One of my annoyances with another MMO (the one I went to after CoX) was eating food and basically being rooted to the spot whilst doing so. I get that it was part of the game design (I guess so the player couldn't get more hp etc in the middle of a fight) but I liked the design of CoX where an inspiration could be popped at any time. It helped those of us that needed some help in combat due to being really bad at it.
thats exactly why I don´t like the food idea ;) it does make sense, that you cannot fight while eating (except you are like Superman against some regular thief ;) ) so if it should make sense it should be something else :)

Return to “Polling Discussion”