Inspirations as food question

Vertigo Blue

Re: Inspirations as food question

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Except they didn't, they were consumables which could be purchased or received in drops. If you wanted to see them that way, fine, but they could just as easily be stimpacks, or one-shot spells, or even high caloric food for the speedster types, whatever worked for your character origin. Personally I never liked the name Inspiration because they were consumables, and didn't fit the name to me.
I still think the devs/story writers could get creative with this concept though. The game takes place in the year 2487...by then I'm sure technology is at the point where you could upload your thoughts or emotions into some kind of portable neural cloud device. It could be like thought/impulse sharing. You upload your experiences/ideas/inspirations to a quantum orb-thing that interacts with your brainwaves via an electromagnetic field or something similar...(Sci-Fi fans, give me a hand here!) You can then sell or share these orbs with other people.

You know how your life supposedly flashes in front of your eyes when you have a near death experience? The theory is that the brain is scanning every possible solution to get you out of a predicament. If you come up short you're in trouble. But if you could share your experiences with others then you might gain knowledge from an experience someone else had. Imagine you're in trouble and you can't come up with a solution to save your life, you grab a "core drive" or a "spark" (whatever you want to call it) and upload someone else's knowledge base to your mind. Something they thought of that you didn't could save you on the spot.

Inspiration drops when in combat could be handled similarly: As you're in battle you'll have useful insights about the fight that can come in handy in future combat. You could have a small program running in a tiny device built into your suit or implanted in the body, whatever works for your toon's theme. This device records said insights via your neural cloud allowing you to later upload them onto an orb to share with others, or keep for your own use later.

Could also tie into story lines about neural hackers or black market thought sharing...You know if the technology exists some shady person somewhere will take it to that level. :twisted: :D

I dunno...just throwing this out there. I'm sure someone can come up with a viable way to fit this into the story in a way that applies to the game's world. It's all make believe anyway ;)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:55 pm

The less said the better. let each person make up their own mind of what they are.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:15 pm

The less said the better. let each person make up their own mind of what they are.
Or that...

Jeuraud

Postby Jeuraud » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:39 pm

I still think the devs/story writers could get creative with this concept though.
They could, but why... you the gamer just created an excellent story-line for a Tech/Science character.
But if I was a Spell Slinger I would not like this story-line, because I follow the Shadowrun view of magic and cybertech, where the more you wire yourself the harder it is to sling spells, and being this is not Shadowrun there is no in-game method to reflect this, I would have to roleplay/ignore you story-line, no matter how great it works for Tech/Science characters, just as I had to often roleplay/ignore the concept of Inspirations in CoHV , because of my preconception of inspiration, and how consumables do not fit it for me (Of course I did not ignore Inspirations themselves. :D ).

This is why I like Sparks... it's short, it fits the boost concept with no heavy preconception, and is easy to use as a slang.

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:19 pm

But if I was a Spell Slinger I would not like this story-line, because I follow the Shadowrun view of magic and cybertech, where the more you wire yourself the harder it is to sling spells, and being this is not Shadowrun there is no in-game method to reflect this, I would have to roleplay/ignore you story-line, no matter how great it works for Tech/Science characters, just as I had to often roleplay/ignore the concept of Inspirations in CoHV , because of my preconception of inspiration, and how consumables do not fit it for me (Of course I did not ignore Inspirations themselves. :D ).
True...It really does make more sense to leave it vague for people to interpret however they wish.
This is why I like Sparks... it's short, it fits the boost concept with no heavy preconception, and is easy to use as a slang.
Agreed, "sparks" easily works for either magic or tech.

I'm honestly happy as long as inspirations stay abstract. I'm just not crazy about the inspirations as food idea. For some reason I don't mind it in WoW, where you sit and feast before a raid, probably because of the whole fantasy, knights and elves setting, but something about it in a CoH type game rubs me the wrong way...It doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

If we end up having "boost burgers" in game anyway, obviously I'll shut up, eat them and be happy about it. :lol: But given the option, I'd rather not eat my buffs. ;)

Jeuraud

Postby Jeuraud » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm honestly happy as long as inspirations stay abstract. I'm just not crazy about the inspirations as food idea. For some reason I don't mind it in WoW, where you sit and feast before a raid, probably because of the whole fantasy, knights and elves setting, but something about it in a CoH type game rubs me the wrong way...It doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

If we end up having "boost burgers" in game anyway, obviously I'll shut up, eat them and be happy about it. :lol: But given the option, I'd rather not eat my buffs. ;)
I could see sitting down... say just before a boss fight... to a Boost Burger, fries and a shake, given out by someone who is a Chef, something that is not instant, unlike a Spark. This might just keep the group from being forced into combat by that one person who cannot wait for a few seconds without some immediate benefit (When I grouped in CoHV I primarily PUG'd.). That being said I do not like Sparks as a food either. A Spark is an instant in-combat temp boost.

Now if your a Natural and want to imagine your Spark to be a handful of high calorie granola that's great, just don't force me to have to ignore the "High Calorie Granola" label on the Spark if I'm playing a robot or something that would not eat "High Calorie Granola" in the middle of combat.

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Now if your a Natural and want to imagine your Spark to be a handful of high calorie granola that's great, just don't force me to have to ignore the "High Calorie Granola" label on the Spark if I'm playing a robot or something that would not eat "High Calorie Granola" in the middle of combat.
:lol:

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:45 pm

This is what I think of when I think of food inspirations:
Hero 1: Help me! I am bleeding to death!
Hero 2: Eat a pretzel!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 am

You know I like your black humour :)

back to the topic - I think I too could settle with that word spark :)
I can be tech, it can be supernatural, it can be cosmic, it can be mental
and as stated before sometimes less is more :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm

You know I like your black humour :)

back to the topic - I think I too could settle with that word spark :)
I can be tech, it can be supernatural, it can be cosmic, it can be mental
and as stated before sometimes less is more :)
I agree with you, spark is a good name for temporary buffs.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:59 am

What if there was gum that didnt
taste like berries or mint, but tasted like, steak or chicken Alfredo... This would that get rid of cravings because you would taste the food. Great because you dont get the calories and other stuff. Thoughts?
???
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Targmorf

Postby Targmorf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:46 am

Inspirations as food?

Love it!

Might take a while to eat a burger, but a chocolate bar would be dandy.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:07 am

Inspirations were instant power ups and heals which could be activated during combat. Therefore, I don't like the idea of them being food. I think "Inspirations" could be called "Motivations" if the name needs to be changed, which would make more sense for the instant help received during combat situations. Food would be good for temporary power ups. Eat a 5 hr energy bar which will allow you to regenerate energy faster for the next 5 hrs would be good.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Inspirations were instant power ups and heals which could be activated during combat. Therefore, I don't like the idea of them being food. I think "Inspirations" could be called "Motivations" if the name needs to be changed, which would make more sense for the instant help received during combat situations. Food would be good for temporary power ups. Eat a 5 hr energy bar which will allow you to regenerate energy faster for the next 5 hrs would be good.
Concur. I would not mind food being in the game but not as replacements for inspirations
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

SupaFreak

Postby SupaFreak » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I don't like it. I'd rather see some sort of mental or spiritual aspect of Inspiration, personally.

Return to “Polling Discussion”