Inspirations as food question

GladDog

Inspirations as food question

Postby GladDog » Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm

What do you think of having the consumable healing and buff items be foods or snacks?

Love it
Like it
I’m indifferent
I don’t like it
I hate that idea
I have another idea and I’ll discuss it on the forums
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Re: Inspirations as food question

Postby GladDog » Wed May 23, 2018 12:59 pm

I Like the idea, as long as that is not the only method we get our 'potions'. I still like the idea of very cool high tech thingies.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Excellent idea. Is crafting in this game? If so, it would keep crafting relevant if food or consumables made the hero stronger. Or if crafting is tied to these said items.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Wed May 23, 2018 4:51 pm

I hate the idea of inspirations being represented as food. Edible inspirations would really take me out of the game.

Me: I am getting punched in the face and I am low on hit points!
Teammate: Eat a pretzel!

Buffs as food make sense in games for elementary school kids. Not in games intended for a adults.
Everytime I use a buff I will have to wait 30 min before swimming (not super heroic).

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Wed May 23, 2018 4:59 pm

I'd rather have some sort of pill or stim pack. Something like that. When you're in the middle of a fight, or even between fights, a snack break doesn't seem right.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Before I replied, I thought about this most of the day because I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like the idea. until now.

My belief is that inspirations are supposed to be an interior act of will that allows a hero to keep on fighting when all is lost to reach deep inside for that certain something extra that makes them a hero.

You don't see heroes munch on a pretzel or inject themselves in the middle of battle to get healed, gain energy, or receive the benefit of a break free. Eating a pretzel shouldn't make you able to do heroic feats. You might as well make the pretzel the hero after all anyone with enough pretzels can do the same thing.

Heroes call upon their inner strength to summon that certain extra quality that allows them to come out on top and finish the fight, enabling them to surmount the unsurmountable. For that reason I'm against turning inspirations into a food item or an injection or anything else other than what they should be - An act of will.

GA
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 pm

My belief is that inspirations are supposed to be an interior act of will that allows a hero to keep on fighting when all is lost to reach deep inside for that certain something extra that makes them a hero.

You don't see heroes munch on a pretzel or inject themselves in the middle of battle to get healed, gain energy, or receive the benefit of a break free. Eating a pretzel shouldn't make you able to do heroic feats. You might as well make the pretzel the hero after all anyone with enough pretzels can do the same thing.

Heroes call upon their inner strength to summon that certain extra quality that allows them to come out on top and finish the fight, enabling them to surmount the unsurmountable. For that reason I'm against turning inspirations into a food item or an injection or anything else other than what they should be - An act of will.

GA, that makes sense. But that makes me wonder what kind of drop or crafting would an act of will inspiration be? Maybe inspirational readings of some type? Scrolls of knowledge that teach you how to will your body to instantly heal or summon power regen? I'm just wondering?

You are correct that most heroes don't juice up in the middle of battle, but I don't think they normally have anything that could be dropped or crafted to help heal or buff. I might not be understanding this correctly since I was thinking that inspirations were something physical that could be crafted with recipes or dropped in missions.

Since this is the future, nanite tokens? You will the nanites to deploy when you need them?

GKC
(aka GregoryKC66)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 pm

I think you missed the point.

the act of will per say is internal. you can't really simulate it in a game with something you take externally. thus inspirations were created with CoH. I think they did it right.

They were drops, but could not be crafted.

nanites or an other healing or buff like powers would be something a defender would use to heal others around them not something like an inspiration.

Dragonnas Xavier

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Thu May 24, 2018 2:46 am

I had responded to the survey that I was indifferent about food being this game's version of inspirations, but the way a couple of these folks are putting it is starting to change my mind. The idea of taking inspiration from your victories and pulling from that reserve of willpower in difficult situations actually makes a lot more sense for heroes than just jamming large amounts of food down their throat. Ultimately, this isn't a deal-breaker for me in any way, but I bet the development team can come up with something a little more inspiring than food. ^_^ If we launch with food and it changes later down the road, I won't be bothered. If it stays food, I'll understand. It'll just seem like a missed opportunity. If "inspirations" are out due to the fact that they were used in other IP, perhaps a "confidence" system could be implemented instead. Just a thought.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu May 24, 2018 4:42 am

You know Blue Yankee until now I just said I don´t like the idea, but now I understand why.
Your Pretzel Example was what completed the picture quite humorous ;).

But you know somehow there is another thought crossing my mind. I mean getting food for beating somebody up makes me kind of feel like a bully beating up the little nerd on schoolground to get his lunchbox - is that really heroic?
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

You can definitely put me in the hate column. Food as inspirations is laughable.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm

I voted for don't like. I have a few characters who aren't physical beings of flesh and blood, therefore they aren't able to eat conventionally. It may be a small gripe, but it breaks immersion if I want to RP.

Generic CoH-style inspirations work because they're not specifically one thing or the other, they're just there to perform a function.

It's not really such a big deal, it's something I could ignore if I had to. I'd just prefer it to be something other than food stuffs.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:05 pm

my two cents...

In truth I am all for something new, at least in name. I am all for the function. I had some of issues with the name "inspiration(s)".

I just didn't like the ideal of heroes buying them like we did or the craft method in bases (i.e. we could manufacture inspiration(s)). As I said though...I suspended my dislike/disbelief and it was all good after a while.

I believe for ease we first need a name
as to side step the confusion we had with "Augments" being the new "Enhancements". Lol I for one didn't get the memo on that one and thought we was talking about something different completely.

SOooo how about:

Spark(s)
Incentive(s)
Animus
Afflatus

...as examples.

I too favor the tech theme, but also kinda sour on notion they be potion, injections, etc.

So we ( as players who answer blindly) kinda need to know the purpose...how do we get them? Are they made? How so?

If potions made from unobtonium, is there a down side for usage for example = drugs

How do we store them (background knowledge)? Are they physical, mental, spiritual?

Maybe we don't need them in game at all *ducks behind Golden Ace*
Last edited by Red5 on Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...reporting in.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu May 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Sparks.

I like it.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm

If they are not phyical, maybe something like:

Insights
Knowledge
Clairvoyance
(aka GregoryKC66)

Return to “Polling Discussion”