Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

DomiDayglow

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby DomiDayglow » Tue May 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I like the special event idea. It would encourage new people to try the game and old players to create new characters. Higher level characters can receive a bonus of some kind for exemplaring down to the lower level characters.

The problem with events though is not everyone can have the time to go to them. Even if they run for a week at a time and even then, what do the new players and new characters do when its over? I liked the idea of an aura reward power that would give bonus to exp or rest or some other perk that would aid both high and low level characters. Perhaps have a mini-taskforce of four or five missions in the event where at the end, you earn this aura. You could then turn it on and off over the next month, which would encourage people to continue playing the newly made characters and give a little boost to their higher level ones.

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 am

Imo, this seems like it should be lower on the priority list. Focus on getting a solid game with awesome content, then add in new player bonuses later.
yep. everyone will be new.
You know, that is a funny thing you just mentioned :)
I mean some of us are following the process so close and / or long that I think when the game finally starts I (and I believe I won´t be the only one) won´t feel as a new guy anymore at all, though you are of course right :)

Still I believe there should not be a benefit besides a badge for helping new players around!
The people creating a new account (so playing for the first time) should maybe have that aura or something which helps him surviving until he knows the ropes but I stay with a badge should be enough for feeling heroic
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon May 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Positive reinforcement, interesting. Good idea actually.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 pm

I mean some of us are following the process so close and / or long that I think when the game finally starts I
... (and I believe I won´t be the only one)...
won´t feel as a new guy anymore at all, though you are of course right :)
YOU are so right ... as for me i won't feel like a new-bee when the ship launches ... BUT I do look forward to finding a perch near the new-bee spawn point and talk to all the those who spawn in ... by asking them if they need any help ...

I'm not looking for any thing except a badge for helping ( Teaming with ) those who want help ... ( I'm thinking 100 )
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 am

I mean some of us are following the process so close and / or long that I think when the game finally starts I
... (and I believe I won´t be the only one)...
won´t feel as a new guy anymore at all, though you are of course right :)
YOU are so right ... as for me i won't feel like a new-bee when the ship launches ... BUT I do look forward to finding a perch near the new-bee spawn point and talk to all the those who spawn in ... by asking them if they need any help ...

I'm not looking for any thing except a badge for helping ( Teaming with ) those who want help ... ( I'm thinking 100 )
100? Sorry I think I am a little bit slow right now. You mean helping the first 100 hundred for the badge or what is it? (Hope they won´t wait that long for the badge ;) 100 sould be the master badge - so you have several stages a badge can have. Like a bronce level a silver level a gold level and a platinum level for example -so you would have the Mentor Badge Platinum Class so to speak ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Avatar PDM yes is was a little vague ...

100? Sorry I think I am a little bit slow right now. You mean helping the first 100 hundred for the badge or what is it? (Hope they won´t wait that long for the badge ;) 100 sould be the master badge - so you have several stages a badge can have. Like a bronce level a silver level a gold level and a platinum level for example -so you would have the Mentor Badge Platinum Class so to speak ;) )
Putting clarity to the point of 100 ... i was thinking 100 new-bees helped through one mission ... its a a badge that takes work you don't get it by just standing on a spot ...

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri May 25, 2018 2:36 am

Avatar PDM yes is was a little vague ...

Putting clarity to the point of 100 ... i was thinking 100 new-bees helped through one mission ... its a a badge that takes work you don't get it by just standing on a spot ...
I would still like the classification idea: bronze, silver, gold, platinum ;)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri May 25, 2018 7:37 am

While nothing is settled, I like the ideas this thread has in it. Incentives matter, and badges are a good incentive (so is a temp aura, or other temp powers) for being willing to help new players. The kind of incentives that reward to good behavior and also allow others to know that you have been a positive contributor to the whole community. Awesome!

olepi

Postby olepi » Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 am

How about a mentor stat? Based on an experience index; as you play, you increase the experience index. Even a level 1 could have a high index if they play lots of alts.

So, help a true new player, based on their low index, and you get points to allocate into something. Craft something for a low index player, get more points. etc.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Welcome Olepi ... and glad you mentioned " mentor stat" ...
How about a mentor stat? Based on an experience index; as you play, you increase the experience index. Even a level 1 could have a high index if they play lots of alts.
So, help a true new player, based on their low index, and you get points to allocate into something. Craft something for a low index player, get more points. etc.
In your thinking is that " mentor stat " just for that toon or for any toon on your account ??? ...

If one would roll out a low lvl toon to help another toon ( just for the alt-a-holics in us all ) would that " Mentor Stat " show on you lvl 1 toon ???

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 am

Welcome Olepi ... and glad you mentioned " mentor stat" ...
In your thinking is that " mentor stat " just for that toon or for any toon on your account ??? ...

If one would roll out a low lvl toon to help another toon ( just for the alt-a-holics in us all ) would that " Mentor Stat " show on you lvl 1 toon ???
As I see it, if that thought is being put in consideration, than the mentor stat should be a general stat which is automatically with any character one person got - otherwise it would not make that much sense as your example showed so nicely :)

Sentinel King

Postby Sentinel King » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

There's also another way of helping folks out that I was VERY fond of in CoX...."unteamed support". I used to spend hours cruising the low-level street-sweeping zones randomly buffing/healing lowbies with my kinetic and empathy toons. I was very careful not to do anything that would leech XP away from them, I just wanted to let them feel super for the few minutes until the buffs wore off.

While I didn't do it for any other reason than because that's just my style of fun, I'll say it was a form of payback for some early Heroes taking me under their wing and guiding me into the game-mechanics. I'm in favor of light (i.e., non-mood-breaking) incentivising that creates an atmosphere of helpfulness in the game, just remember that not all helpfulness occurs while teamed with another.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 am

There's also another way of helping folks out that I was VERY fond of in CoX...."unteamed support". I used to spend hours cruising the low-level street-sweeping zones randomly buffing/healing lowbies with my kinetic and empathy toons. I was very careful not to do anything that would leech XP away from them, I just wanted to let them feel super for the few minutes until the buffs wore off.

While I didn't do it for any other reason than because that's just my style of fun, I'll say it was a form of payback for some early Heroes taking me under their wing and guiding me into the game-mechanics. I'm in favor of light (i.e., non-mood-breaking) incentivising that creates an atmosphere of helpfulness in the game, just remember that not all helpfulness occurs while teamed with another.
a very nice behaviour and way of thinking - kind of catches the spirit of heroism as I see it :)
about the teaming part though I think I gave my opinion - no usable benefit (except a badge ;) ) and propably an aura which helps the supported newbie ;)

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Sentinel King you said ...
... I used to spend hours cruising the low-level street-sweeping zones randomly buffing/healing lowbies with my kinetic and empathy toons.
I have seen your "who were you " post and see that you ran in " Liberty " server ... i don't know if you were the one that helped me out one day is steel ...

I had just got to lvl 10 and just left the tram and started north ... and was ambushed by 6 bad-ees ... but a hero came buy and mezed the ambushed ... did not get the heroes name or lvl ...but the mezed-ambushed stayed mezed until i finished off the bad-ees one at a time ... if that was you TY
... if not then there are others that feel the same as you ... and it did help the new-bee ... me

i too believe that the badge , or aura ... is only reward that needs to be reward for helping ... helping is the gratest

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:15 am

Sentinel King you said ...
... I used to spend hours cruising the low-level street-sweeping zones randomly buffing/healing lowbies with my kinetic and empathy toons.
I have seen your "who were you " post and see that you ran in " Liberty " server ... i don't know if you were the one that helped me out one day is steel ...

I had just got to lvl 10 and just left the tram and started north ... and was ambushed by 6 bad-ees ... but a hero came buy and mezed the ambushed ... did not get the heroes name or lvl ...but the mezed-ambushed stayed mezed until i finished off the bad-ees one at a time ... if that was you TY
... if not then there are others that feel the same as you ... and it did help the new-bee ... me

i too believe that the badge , or aura ... is only reward that needs to be reward for helping ... helping is the gratest
that one definitely belongs in the topic of positive and fond memories :)
This is one of the things which made our world special and it is something which cannot be mentioned often enough :)

Return to “Polling Discussion”