Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Pyrion

Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Pyrion » Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 am

I checked "something else", mainly because i think the question is poorly worded. The scenario isn't clear at all. Do we speak of teaming as a high level player with a low level (sidekick system) or do we speak about grouping with players who literally are new to the server, measured in the age of the account?

The answer would differ quite a lot. If you give starting people a lot of loot right at the start, that creates an expectation that you are not planning to fulfill. That would be bad. If you give the loot only to the older player, that might seem unfair when the other guy notices this.

I would stay away from mechanics like that. If the mechanic is applied to every low level sidekick mentor, it could be easily exploited (and therefore will be). If it's just for accounts that are young it won't have much impact. I think our community won't need such "carrots" anyways, we will be welcoming :).

Golden Ace

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 07, 2018 9:03 am

Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?Rewards could include better drops, more dust, badges, etc.
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Perhaps some of the time, but not always.
  • Something else – I’ll tell you in the forums.
I went with something else. I agree with the above, the question was not very clear.

I guess I’m caught up in the details. Low level / versus new player. If you drop down to the level of the low level then yes you should get better drops, more dust, badges, etc.

A new player could be a level 10 and you could be a level 10 and if you team with him/her you should not get more stuff. But if the new player is level 10 and you are level 20 and you drop down to his level (exemplar?) then yes you should get better stuff.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon May 07, 2018 9:12 am

I also agree with Pyrion that it should not be necessary to hook people with such things.
Though of course it could be nice to get a badge for helping low-level characters out. But only a badge just as a symbolic gesture of approval, that one cares about the weaker ones (so to speak). There should not be any practical benefits because then the problems Pyrion mentioned could occure. With a badge you show that it is good to help and a new player certainly won´t feel being treated wrong if the other one gets a badge (to be precise I don´t see, why the other one needs to notice when you get a badge anyway). I think though, that the badges should belong to a character not to the accounts. So you have a new character one helps you and gets a badge for it while when he creates another new one you can help him a little bit later and receive the badge yourself - something like that
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon May 07, 2018 3:16 pm

I was thinking new players, not low levels. IMO CoH was very newby friendly after the first few months, and the non-community friendly people left. It would not take much motivation to help a newby for many of us. Giving a reward would motivate even more people to help. The best way to keep this from getting out of hand would be a time limit on such a reward. Have tier 1 (decent augment, low level temp power, whatever they are going to call a small inspiration) once a day. Tier two (mid level augment, 2 function temp power, augment set kit) once a week, Tier three (high level aug,ment, temp power bundle, higher end augment set kit, added augment slot) once a month.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon May 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Also, keep in mind that the level cap is probably only \going to be 20-25 at first, so someone getting to level 10, which will probably take 35-40 hours, takes them out of the newby ranks IMO.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 07, 2018 4:03 pm

How would you know the difference between a low level player and a new player?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon May 07, 2018 4:19 pm

How would you know the difference between a low level player and a new player?
Hours played on an account. tracking total hours is probably something built into UE4. Once you get over some indeterminant time, lets say 30 hours, the bonus no longer applies. At that point the player has a very good grasp of the game, and if they are only playing one character at a time, they should be very good with that character.

I do want to say that if this becomes in the slightest bit unmanageable, then it should be dropped.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm

No you misunderstood. How would you know?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon May 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Ahh gotcha. Maybe have a pink halo over their head? Something that disappears when you hit 30 hours? This halo could also be the newby shield, giving a small bit of defense and maybe an accuracy bonus. Both of these would be awesome for a newb, but unneeded after they get the right level of experience.

Oh, and gratz on the green name Ace! I see you have already swung the banhammer mightily like your own version of Mjolnir!

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Mon May 07, 2018 4:46 pm

I can understand the reasoning around this to building the friendly community but the questions raised above need to be better spelled out. As has been said, how do you define new? Is it based on the date they joined the game? And as Golden Ace raises, how would you know if you are mentoring a new player or simply side kicking a lower level player. I like the badge idea. Maybe after side kicking 10 players, you receive the Mentor badge. From what I have seen in the forums to date, this is going to be a friendly game community and most veterans are going to be welcoming to new players and be willing to help them learn the ropes.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon May 07, 2018 5:34 pm

I Vote that the player that is a high level player ... lvl's down lets say more that 10 lvl's just help out a new-bee ...

that is helping a new-bee toon or player from lvl 1 to lvl 7 ... and does at least 3-5 mission with that new-bee player / toon ... then that player gets a badge... but for doing that mission over again with a new new-bee player the " new-bee helper badge " is increased to a lvl 2 "

But wait Let say that high lvl player has completed 5 of such missions with new-bees ... then that player qualifies to cash the " lvl 5 new-bee helper badge " in for a custom shield ... or custom armor sticker ... or custom cape ... or a custom whip flag ... or what ever the DEV's decide to offer that reflects " community builder "

this the only reward that I will vote for in helping to build a friendly community ... sounds like a lot of work ... yes " no effort no gain "
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Oh, and gratz on the green name Ace! I see you have already swung the banhammer mightily like your own version of Mjolnir!
It's the golden banhammer

still you and consultant beat me to a couple today. :/

-Jo

Postby -Jo » Mon May 07, 2018 8:16 pm

I feel players should be rewarded based on their play styles. Not everyone likes to play on teams, while others prefer to play solo or in a duo. Here are a couple examples.

Playing with New people
  • Special event like double XP event or Super Group recruitment event during a season or set time frame
Solo player (You can pick One)
  • Increased Damage
  • Regen
  • Defense
  • Resistance

Duo
  • Increase in Drops
  • Increase in Damage, Accuracy, Regen via Proximity to Partner

Super group
  • This unlocks when you join a team of fellow Super Group Members
  • Increase in Experience
  • Increase in Damage, Accuracy, etc like having the Leadership power pool in CoX
  • Bigger/ Better Tier of Buffs based on Level of Super Group and Relationship of Hierarchy (If the SG leader is leading the team of low ranks it will give the highest tier set of buffs

WRThore

Postby WRThore » Tue May 08, 2018 12:03 pm

I agree with most of the posts, and I think this idea sounds great.
I feel players should be rewarded based on their play styles. Not everyone likes to play on teams, while others prefer to play solo or in a duo. Here are a couple examples.

Playing with New people
  • Special event like double XP event or Super Group recruitment event during a season or set time frame
Solo player (You can pick One)
  • Increased Damage
  • Regen
  • Defense
  • Resistance

Duo
  • Increase in Drops
  • Increase in Damage, Accuracy, Regen via Proximity to Partner

Super group
  • This unlocks when you join a team of fellow Super Group Members
  • Increase in Experience
  • Increase in Damage, Accuracy, etc like having the Leadership power pool in CoX
  • Bigger/ Better Tier of Buffs based on Level of Super Group and Relationship of Hierarchy (If the SG leader is leading the team of low ranks it will give the highest tier set of buffs

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 pm

New player old Player I don’t care if you exemplar down you should get stuff. IMO of course 😄

Return to “Polling Discussion”