Day/Night Cycles

lunawisp

Day/Night Cycles

Postby lunawisp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am

I voted for residential and wildlife levels should have day/night, optional elsewhere. Night could give us interesting options with (maybe) different mobs and missions.

But... you can't seriously have a dark engineering level. That's guaranteeing that someone will press the self destruct button instead of the garbage disposal...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Golden Ace

Re: Day/Night Cycles

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:33 am

Should every level of the ship have a day/ night cycle?

• We don’t need day/night on any level.
  • We should have day/night on every level.
  • Residential and wildlife levels should, optional elsewhere.
  • Link the day/night to the story; sometimes yes, sometimes no.
  • Surprise me.
  • I’ll share my views in the forums.

I hemmed and hawed a bit over this one. and finally went with "Link the day/night to the story; sometimes yes, sometimes no"

I want day and night cycles in every zone unless the story say's otherwise.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:42 am

Just to be clear, there will NOT be day/ night cycles indoors or in the engineering levels. This is an outdoors question.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

Just to be clear, there will NOT be day/ night cycles indoors or in the engineering levels. This is an outdoors question.
Will we see stars at night ... let me rephrase - will we see holographic stars in the sky during simulated night?

Edit: Complete with our own set of constellations, nebula, moon? etc...?

I actually would love for the power to go out on a corridor while in a mission, or in a room. so you can't see much beyond the FX for your powers. - the bad guys turn the lights off on you because they can see in the dark and you can't. it would bring an extra element in an encounter.
Last edited by Golden Ace on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Should every level of the ship have a day/ night cycle?

• We don’t need day/night on any level.
  • We should have day/night on every level.
  • Residential and wildlife levels should, optional elsewhere.
  • Link the day/night to the story; sometimes yes, sometimes no.
  • Surprise me.
  • I’ll share my views in the forums.

I hemmed and hawed a bit over this one. and finally went with "Link the day/night to the story; sometimes yes, sometimes no"

I want day and night cycles in every zone unless the story say's otherwise.
Same as me!!! :o
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 pm

I voted yes for residential and wildlife levels, optional everywhere else.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I think the story should affect the cycle. For example, Rikti open zone raids made it turn night for the duration, which was the perfect tone for those invasions. If we have a magic focused zone, maybe have it with a Dark Astoria feel.

And so on.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 pm

I voted for 'link it to the story' as I envision a ship in space would not necessarily have the normal day/night cycles that we are accustomed to here on the 3rd rock from the Sun. I assume there could be zones that are dark zones and some that are light and some that shift depending upon some external force.... on a regular basis or at some unexpected cycle.

At CES this year I tried a Tobii Eye-tracker that was quite interesting, and with the right game, could be adapted to provide a sort of flashlight (wherever your eyes are looking on the screen) for dark regions, it can also be used to search for and lock on targets just by looking.....sure it costs a little to add on to the computer but it also could add another dimension. Not knowing how involved this would be for the DEVs, I am not saying we need this now, it just might be an interesting feature to consider for a dark zone....or a fog/smoke zone where you can only see some things at any one time.

I have to believe some of you have tried one or own one of these trackers. I would be interested to know if anyone has experience with the Tobii tracker and I'd be interested to know your thoughts.... there are a number of games that support it, I just haven't taken the plunge to get one yet.

Healy

Blue Djinn

Postby Blue Djinn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 am

Day night levels for ambiance only. Linking them to story line, loot, skill set quests etc is a recipe for frustration. Not everyone is a hard core player and it leaves us casual guys out in the cold. It forces you to look for stratics and spoilers online just so you can get stuff done. While it can be a nice touch, I personally find it extremely annoying.
Just my two cents...

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Match it to the story. If I am on a part of the ship that has been overran by ghosts of crew members, I want the level to be dark and spooky.

WRThore

Postby WRThore » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:35 pm

After reading your comment, I not only chuckled, but subscribe to this same way of thinking! :lol:
I voted for residential and wildlife levels should have day/night, optional elsewhere. Night could give us interesting options with (maybe) different mobs and missions.

But... you can't seriously have a dark engineering level. That's guaranteeing that someone will press the self destruct button instead of the garbage disposal...

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 pm

I'm voting for -- people and animal zones --- to have day / night cycle ... I do agree with
Blue Yankee ... when he said ...
Match it to the story. If I am on a part of the ship that has been overran by ghosts of crew members, I want the level to be dark and spooky.
if Ghosts are invading a certain lvl dark is ok ...
if in the tropical lvl you want to grow a lot of algae or coral and / or plankton for food or other things , then sun light all the time ...
for the sub lvl's of each lvl if the lvl is not occupied then the lights go off or go on when people enter ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Strife3

Postby Strife3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 am

I think what needs to happen is this, first please dont laugh but Go and watch Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and RPM. I say this because they use domes and program night and day. See how they used it on TV to show a normal earth day and night.

Secondly where we see night and day would be anywhere we should see windows to look out at the space or at fabricated sky, if were inside a building it;s not likely that we weil see day and night inside but outdoor missions and normal top level areas, If they have underground we wouldnt see it either.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:23 am

Just to add to the discussion, the poll results are pretty dramatic -- we should definitely have a day/night cycle. so we will.

I'll add again that there will not be day/ night underground or indoors. It's the future. The lights work, and they are on. But some levels of the ship down underground are not lit as brightly the farther down you go...

We're debating a story point here, but we think the Prometheans, with their enhanced vision, prefer it darker underground. So the may have a tendency to emerge in larger numbers at night.

I spent a few hours on Skype this morning going over the current version of the day/ night cycle we've added to the game (it needs to be fine tuned for sure). The city looks beautiful with a more natural lighting system, as opposed to "Abu Dhabi at high noon," which we've been using up until now. Nothing wrong with Abu Dhabi, but even there, the sun does set at night. The constant high noon was limiting our ability to fine tune the look of FX and some other lighting effects needed to make an MMO work in UE 4.

So now that we know the community approves, we're moving forward to perfect the code, and set things the way we thought they should be. :)

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 am

The city looks beautiful with a more natural lighting system, as opposed to "Abu Dhabi at high noon," which we've been using up until now. Nothing wrong with Abu Dhabi, but even there, the sun does set at night. The constant high noon was limiting our ability to fine tune the look of FX and some other lighting effects needed to make an MMO work in UE 4.

So now that we know the community approves, we're moving forward to perfect the code, and set things the way we thought they should be. :)
Hurray - this was one thing that was irritating me and was what I meant by, " there's something that's not quite right". Really glad this is being done. Along with natural lighting and a bit of post processing, the city is going to look brilliant! :)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 am

Exactly! It's funny -- we're doing so many things, making so many decisions about how the game looks. I think six or seven of us were working this weekend, testing, tweaking, over the simple issue of how far away the grass should render. We accidentally set this value far too high and it was suppressing FPS. Most games set it kind of low, and we were experimenting. Now we've settled it, but our artists have concluded that they want to create some additional textures to make it look a bit better in the distance.

We do this sort of stuff many times each week.

But the lighting is such a powerful effect, that we thought it was worth it to bring that out in the open for community feedback, in multiple ways (forums, polss, etc.).

Eventually we'll get a video of the day/ night cycle out there, I think. We're just getting going on the parameters. But it does make a huge difference.

Return to “Polling Discussion”