What fraction of your time will be spent on SOLO play?

POSSUMNUTS

Re: What fraction of your time will be spent on SOLO play?

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:32 am

4/5

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 am

Realistically speaking, something closer to 50%...depends on the mission/task and who's around.

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:43 am

As I've mentioned before, I'll be spending a significant percentage of my time playing solo due to living in GMT +10. It kind of makes it difficult to find teams on a weekday in a MMO :(

olepi

Postby olepi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:40 am

Probably around 50%. CoH had the best pickup teams and the best ability to form teams. I'm hoping this game will have similar capability.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am

I'm hope-n to spend as little as time possible solo-n ... buy offering help to the new comers ...

Don't get me wrong ... ever one needs to spend some time solo-n if for no other reason than to learn the powers they have picked for there toon...
in a low lvl area where you one can experiment ... and not be afraid i'm going to die if i pull to many ... its important ... ;)
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Jeuraud

Postby Jeuraud » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am

For me, I would spend roughly 99.5% of my time playing solo. During CoXs existence, I soloed about 45 or so toons to 50. It never got old to me. Played and tested a multitude of archetype / power combos to determine what worked with what. I only teamed when my son was playing and he only played for about two years.
sounds like for you it would make sense, if the devs would plan to put out a Offline Version of the game eventually ;)
Hope you will change your mind though, would be sad if a community like that won´t be able to let you see the fun in teaming :)
The social aspect of an MMO is not just in the group.

Sometimes it's just watching other gamers do amazing or downright idiotic things :D , or drive-by assisting a LowB who took on more than they could chew, or checking out the costume contest at Atlas Park or the dancers in Pocket D, or jumping in on a Giant Monster or running to a central spot for a Zone Event. Zone Events were my favorite non-grouping grouping, because the more gamers in the area the more and tougher the MOBs, and the more effects and actions flying around :D .

I soloed about 95+% because when I first started MMOing (EQ), I worked swingshift and lived on the west coast, and would game when I got off work... at least this is what I told myself. Over time I found that I am A-social, which is one of the reason that CoHV was so great for me. When I felt the need for social interaction, PUGs were fairly easy to join or start, unlike some of the other MMOs, and there were the above social interactions.

A single player version would give you none of this.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 am

For me, I would spend roughly 99.5% of my time playing solo. During CoXs existence, I soloed about 45 or so toons to 50. It never got old to me. Played and tested a multitude of archetype / power combos to determine what worked with what. I only teamed when my son was playing and he only played for about two years.
sounds like for you it would make sense, if the devs would plan to put out a Offline Version of the game eventually ;)
Hope you will change your mind though, would be sad if a community like that won´t be able to let you see the fun in teaming :)
The social aspect of an MMO is not just in the group.

Sometimes it's just watching other gamers do amazing or downright idiotic things :D , or drive-by assisting a LowB who took on more than they could chew, or checking out the costume contest at Atlas Park or the dancers in Pocket D, or jumping in on a Giant Monster or running to a central spot for a Zone Event. Zone Events were my favorite non-grouping grouping, because the more gamers in the area the more and tougher the MOBs, and the more effects and actions flying around :D .

I soloed about 95+% because when I first started MMOing (EQ), I worked swingshift and lived on the west coast, and would game when I got off work... at least this is what I told myself. Over time I found that I am A-social, which is one of the reason that CoHV was so great for me. When I felt the need for social interaction, PUGs were fairly easy to join or start, unlike some of the other MMOs, and there were the above social interactions.

A single player version would give you none of this.
Oh my reply was not meant to be a judgement, it just was a thought how the company could make extra money, with players who are not interested in interaction (which is neither good nor bad - it is just a fact).
And my last part was just meant to show interest in another person. If somebody is not interested, or feels his live situation makes it impossible (I worked shift duty too) that is fine, nothing against that. If somebody is interested in teaming or being part of a SG that would not be out of discussion though, since you just have to find the right and tolerant persons, who take you as you are (and l most times found teams I could play with even I worked in shifts). And believe me that works - even when you are as shy as me.
Of course I also had my fun playing alone from time to time and I understand, that you liked your time alone - nothing against that. But playing alone of course I supported newbies while flying by from time to time - but mostly I concentrated on myself and left Pocket D and places like that be ( I mean, you can see that kind of stuff mostly with NPCs too as I see it). But of course that is the way of playing and the great thing about a MMO that anyone can do as he/she likes
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Gisrie

Postby Gisrie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 pm

For me it all depends on the game. If there are loads of group quests and trials/dungeons to do while leveling, then yeah I'll gladly group up with some like minded people to run through them. If the sole leveling experience is doing quest after quest, then nope I doubt I'll group with anyone as I prefer to go my own pace. Once the higher level stuff comes into play, that is of course off the table and I will find a fun group to join to do all of that stuff.

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 am

When I played COX, I usually played late at night in the Eastern time zone, usually like 10-1 and teamed with people from Australia sometimes. Mainly I played solo but when I teamed, I liked the small teams 3-4. It was a better chance to get to know people. On weekends I would play more in the day and join a few larger teams. Didn't TF too much. But as some others have said, just interacting with others on the street was good. I would often complement someone's costume or name or watch and or participate in the contests.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 am

When I played COX, I usually played late at night in the Eastern time zone, usually like 10-1 and teamed with people from Australia sometimes. Mainly I played solo but when I teamed, I liked the small teams 3-4. It was a better chance to get to know people. On weekends I would play more in the day and join a few larger teams. Didn't TF too much. But as some others have said, just interacting with others on the street was good. I would often complement someone's costume or name or watch and or participate in the contests.
I understand what you mean - was mostly the same with me
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Blade Dragon

Postby Blade Dragon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Initially, 60-75% to learn the game and play. Once actively in the game and part of a guild, and hopefully the team-ups working as well as CoH, then more like 25-40%.

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

About 75% for me is solo. When I play in a group its with my 2 sons most of the time. I enjoy doing missions with a good story line when I'm solo.I take my time and enjoy the ride.

Grouping with azzhats in WOW kinda ruined me for grouping.

Maybe that's why I love SWOTOR so much. Very good story driven questlines.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Gilbegger you posted ...
About 75% for me is solo. When I play in a group its with my 2 sons most of the time. I enjoy doing missions with a good story line when I'm solo.I take my time and enjoy the ride. Grouping with azzhats in WOW kinda ruined me for grouping. Maybe that's why I love SWOTOR so much. Very good story driven questlines.
TY for reveling a little of your self to us ,,, your a family orintaited and you will fit in ( along with you sons ) well here on the ship along with other peeps willing and wanting to take our time and enjoy ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 am

About 75% for me is solo. When I play in a group its with my 2 sons most of the time. I enjoy doing missions with a good story line when I'm solo.I take my time and enjoy the ride.

Grouping with azzhats in WOW kinda ruined me for grouping.

Maybe that's why I love SWOTOR so much. Very good story driven questlines.
thanks for sharing that with us and I hope you and your sons will have lot of fun here :)
I also hope though, that you don´t take WoW as an example for communities like ours and eventually you will overcome your trauma and when you do so meet exactly those people you deserve :)

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 pm

INCOMING NOVEL:

I grew up on solo games. Mario bros, Megaman you name it. Some of the best selling games in the world are solo. Mario, Sonic, Elder Scrolls, GTA, etc.

I go into a game with expectations to play by myself and be productive while doing so. Why? You log in by yourself. You came into this mmo world by yourself. You most likely got to endgame by yourself. Early in the game, the majority of mmo teach players how to be solo players.

If someone wants to team up, I will team up. Same for offline games, if someone shoots me a text, I will exit single player and play multi-player.

I hate the mmo and multiplayer moniker. It makes the masses believe teaming up is necessary. It is not. Single player games still take up a chunk of the gaming market. Games whom push this team up or die narrative are segmenting a large portion of potential players. Some gamers may only like single player games. Why should an mmo not include them too? Isn't every mmo a single player game in the beginning leveling stages? Therefore the mmo=team up narrative has no legs. Fortnite, the hottest game out has single player options for advancement.

The one thing the disastrous DCUO did right was give solo players a slow pace to work with, but they could still progress through endgame for the most part.

From my time watching Fortnite streams, mics are a tool of destruction. You give a gamer a mic in the heat of battle and you are begging for a bad community. It takes more effort to type "You are trash" so many may not waste time doing it. Takes no effort to tell someone "You are trash." A kid may not be a keyboard wizard, but he is usually quick with the tongue.

The best raids are the ones where GG is the only thing said, and that is after the raid is over.

I will always be a solo player at heart. MMO are usually the games with customization, so they are the titles I gravitate towards.

Return to “Polling Discussion”