In general, which of the following do you most want to see in Ship of Heroes?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

1. NPC civilians walking around Apotheosis City
  2. NPC cars moving on the streets (not drivable by players)
  3. Additional themed costumes like Ice and Magical
  4. Multiple controller powersets
  5. Giant monsters, like a Nagdellian superboss
  6. Working auction house
  7. Other - please explain on the forums
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Golden Ace

Re: In general, which of the following do you most want to see in Ship of Heroes?

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am

I went with Other. The other being Personal Lairs and Super Group Bases.

I've made it no secret that I want them more than just about anything else.
EDIT:

Then I guess we need NPC cars and civilians followed by controller sets and costumes.

a working auction house would be next and last would be the giant monster.
Last edited by Golden Ace on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GladDog

Re: In general, which of the following do you most want to see in Ship of Heroes?

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:49 am

The empty streets in the game seem so out of place for a city with hundreds of thousands of citizens. I think that having NPCs, that react to the good guys and the bad guys, would flesh out the world more than anything else.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:00 am

The empty streets in the game seem so out of place for a city with hundreds of thousands of citizens. I think that having NPCs, that react to the good guys and the bad guys, would flesh out the world more than anything else.
I totally agree with GladDog. There has got NPC's roaming around for us to be heroes too. Other wise we are just a bunch of people speeding or flying around.

All the things listed in the poll will come, but the NPC's will give the game the immersive feeling when we first step on the Ship.
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 am

I voted for npc's wandering around. A large space that's supposed to be a city needs some semblance of 'life'.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:06 pm

I voted for NPC's but i know once we get to launch that the ship will be full of activities ... heroes flying ,,, npc's walking around ... cars driving ... advertising blimps flying around ... and don't for get the BAD-ees ... all that into the mix it ill be grate with all sorts of activities
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:31 am

The answer to the poll in obvious, we need ALL of the above mentioned things. Quite frankly, asking whether to fill the city with civilians leaves me scratching my head--how could you NOT do that? It would be so completely abnormal to be playing in an empty city. I'm a little bothered that the dev team would even consider it.

The SOH of hero team inspires so much confidence and trust and then a question like this gets put out and I cannot help but wonder....

Just being honest

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 am

Some of the questions are surprisingly difficult to answer. It's very tempting to say 'all of the above' to every question... then realism sets in. If they fall into the function-creep trap and try to put every possible thing into the game before launch, it'll probably never see the light of day.
Last edited by lunawisp on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:41 am

The answer to the poll in obvious, we need ALL of the above mentioned things. Quite frankly, asking whether to fill the city with civilians leaves me scratching my head--how could you NOT do that? It would be so completely abnormal to be playing in an empty city. I'm a little bothered that the dev team would even consider it.

The SOH of hero team inspires so much confidence and trust and then a question like this gets put out and I cannot help but wonder....

Just being honest
It is all about priorities. What do we want to see first? The things done first will be the most polished at release. I do think that their current plan includes all of these except maybe the auction house or multiple controller sets. They want four controller sets if possible, along with the auction house of course, and with a robust crafting system. But if it ends up consuming WAY too much time to make t correctly, it may need to wait for a later patch.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:20 am

Ok as I see it, of course the city needs to be alive, so it makes any sense to play
But I wouldn´t see NPCs as a priority for the Devs because in my eyes the question of priorities implicates, that there is a working game online and the Devs are making plans how to perfect the feeling and the world while it is already on. And here is the point: The world shouldn´t be online at all before there are no NPCs around and no vehicles around (which kind of is essential for the future-impression).
As for priorities while the game is playable I vote for personal bases (Appartment or something like that - after all we all are working as there is stated in the Backstory, so we should have a place to relax after work ;) ) and Supergroup bases. Next would be the power sets, and the costumes, because that is of course part of the one of a kind flexibility that game is going to have. Then the Auction Hall - after all what good does a Auction Hall do if I don´t have the character to play just yet (If I am the Controller Type of person, that is). And last (but not least) would be the giant monster because as I see it, we still have to grow before we can fight a giant monster anyway so it doesn´t have to be around from the beginning, just to kick us around and make as feel powerless ;)
So much to how I see it :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 am

This thread is an interesting educational experience for us. Let me add some extra information for all of us:

1. Having NPC's walking around has a surprisingly big effect on gameplay. NPCs also take bandwidth so they compete for server capacity in certain way, with the feature of having more players on screen. One of our devs has suggested leaving the city empty -- that was discussed, and then rejected. But adding NPCs is helpful in terms of development. It allows us to dial in on how many NPCs we can afford, compared to players, as well as things like cars, trucks, trains, etc.

2. Personal lairs take pretty much the same resources as more mission maps. So early lairs = fewer mission maps at the start. As mentioned above, there are trade-offs.

3. Getting the Auction House up and running consumes some resources that would otherwise go to mission maps or lairs, and also to coding NPCs or other Alpha stuff.

4. Costumes and monsters are kind of linked, but are independent of the other items for the most part. But have links to each other, so again, there is an emphasis on priorities.

We've been thinking that we need to add a coder dedicated to getting the NPCs going, as a way to stay on schedule. I see that a lot of the community agrees.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 am

By all means, we do need the civilians and their surf-able cars running around. (see what I did there?) :D

and frankly the auction house will not be needed for beta imho. and should not come into play until crafting comes online. and for that you need storage which gets us back to bases. they kind of all go together.

as for NPC's I'm assuming they will be talking any ideas of what you are going to have them say? I know I started a thread on that but it has not really gone anywere. if you are interested in suggested speech let us know. and we will put some effort into it.

Atma

Postby Atma » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:08 pm

I went with the npc's, hoping that they will have reaction like running around waving their arms in the air screaming for heroes, applauding heroic acts and mocking the corpses of the enemies (might be too much).
Last edited by Atma on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Knock, and He'll open the door.
Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.
Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.
Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 pm

An auction house is a long term necessity... but not at launch.

You need, more than anything, an actual game that feels real and gives people things to do. Costumes, npcs, and missions should take priority.

(You could leave bases out completely, imo. But I realize that not everyone feels that way)

Btw, the game is in the future, right? What is the story explaining why the buildings look so current? That's off topic, I know.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:15 pm

AvazingFezz i here you saying ...
...The answer to the poll in obvious, we need ALL of the above mentioned things. Quite frankly, asking whether to fill the city with civilians leaves me scratching my head--how could you NOT do that? ...
I do believe that it takes quite a bit to make a hundred or two NPC's and most likely a 100 or more vehicles , along with trains and maybe sail boats
and i'm voting for the advertising blimps circling the city ...

this all take a lot of time to make so i believe that the DEV's are asking us what do you want first ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “Polling Discussion”