Street Sweep vs missions question

GladDog

Street Sweep vs missions question

Postby GladDog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:46 am

The best part of early CoH was street sweeping, and I really want to see it in SoH. However, I would like to have one finished mission to try out, to get a feel for the flow of the game.

One is fine for Pre-Alpha and Alpha. That should tell us plenty. It doesn't have to be a task force, but maybe a 2-3 part mission arc, just so we can be introduced to some of the game concepts.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Malice Johansson

Re: Street Sweep vs missions question

Postby Malice Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:46 pm

I think one advantage of street missions is keeping players out in the open where they can encounter one another.

I never liked static packs of bad guys that never really moved, though. They shouldn't roam indiscriminately but something more to make it all feel lived-in would be welcome.

Y'know what'd be really fun is if packs of baddies could accumulate over time and if not 'dealt' with they reach critical mass and run off engaging in mayhem related to their mob type. Some would rampage about, others would pull bank heists (or on the ship, maybe they would rob museums of alien artifacts), and yet others might start building apparatus to call to their alien allies.

Um...sorry...kind of steam of consciousness there.

Anyway, I liked street sweeping more for the fact that I got to encounter other people while doing it than anything else. Sometimes running missions exclusively can feel really claustrophobic.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Ideally, I'd like it to be possible to test both street-sweeping and a mission (doesn't have to be super complicated, just good enough to see if there's an obvious bug or not). The reason is that I did both street-sweeping and missions depending on my time allowance or mood: if I had lots of time I'd do three or four missions in a row, but if I didn't have a lot of time or I was having a bad day I'd go looking for baddies trying to steal some old lady's purse and beat them up. Also, it was fun to see if there were other people who were also having bad days and needed to beat up gang members in the street - it was a nice way to form a pick-up team.

I like the idea of having bad guys build up over time and then cause extra mayhem if not dealt with - it would help prevent the game from getting boring or predictable.

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:20 pm

While I like the idea of bad guys accumulating and zone disruption associated with it. It has to be implemented carefully, because I've seen some games do this and after a while the zone becomes unusable off-peak hours.

There has to be a lore/story friendly mechanism for resolving the accumulation when no intervention by players is really possible.

Malice Johansson

Postby Malice Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:03 pm

<accumulation and rampage concerns>
You're absolutely right. I mentioned it only as a passive way for the game to generate some minor events and encourage street-sweeps (though maybe some would avoid them hoping for the mayhem I suppose). I didn't mean to take away from the larger discussion.

That said, I am going to derail further:

I think it could be handled via limiting group size, their potential targets, the number of them engaged in mayhem at any given time, making the accumulation of members slow or making it slower the larger the group is, until hitting critical mass. Anyway, just spitballs.

And Lazarus is right, street-sweeping was a great way to just spend 15 minutes in-game between other events or obligations or even just waiting for a team to form.

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm

For first testing, one or two missions(of different type if more than one) would be sufficient.

I also like the idea of a slow buildup over time leading to small scale events. They could hit a certain size and go create mayhem, or go after another faction of enemies like a gang war. Some wandering enemies would be nice also. Not a large group, but more like two or three wandering looking for a potential NPC to rob or player to rough up.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:49 am

You all realize that saying you need one mission for alpha that does mean that they have to implement the whole mission logic before allowing us in? That means probably at least a month more wait time.

I would like to street sweep as early as its possible, missions can get tested later :)

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 am

I'm all for street sweeping as soon as possible. We can do mission testing as they become available to test. Speaking of which, will SoH have a Test server & Live server(s)?
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:58 am

Yeah, i am not picky. Street sweeping is fine if it can be ready earlier. Just the character creator would make me happy and gives lots of time to make my appearance perfect!
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Freelyx

Postby Freelyx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:27 pm

I always really liked the Halloween events, to that end, I think a combination mission might be cool. I loved wading into throngs of undead as a scrapper and dishing out street level justice.

Maybe start out as a "Break up gang fight at location "X" and gather information." Then while defeating minions, the Hero finds 'clue' that takes them to one of the gang's bases, where after clearing more gang members, files stolen from a local science lab office show a formula that enhances strength, agility, and durability among several empty vials and beakers. Gang leader and three of his captains are missing. Leader and crew went back to the science labs to steal more of the solution they were imbibing. Here (the lab) the heroes fight their way through several more gang members, but these seem, stronger, faster, and harder to beat. As they arrive at the main lab underground secure area, they discover that the original tests were done on humans who mutated and have either been broken out, or have broken free themselves, and are raging zombies!!! This fight ends and the gang leader and his captains are found desiccated and writhing around weakly on the ground... the formula has been stolen again, and is now "on the street".

Take this and enjoy. free mission for you to play with.

Also I like missions on instances as well as out in the streets. this offers both.

Return to “Polling Discussion”