Acrobatic jumping question

GladDog

Acrobatic jumping question

Postby GladDog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:39 am

Currently, jumping in SoH uses real physics. You cannot change direction in mid-air, as you can in many games.

Keep jumping realistic.
Allow in-air direction changes as in other games.
Allow in-air direction changes, as part of a special jumping/ acrobatics power.
Something else – tell us on the forums.
I voted make this type of movement available from a power. Combat Jumping was one of my favorite powers. Combined with Hurdle it was a great 'poor man's Super Jump'. But it allowed such a high degree of mobility, thematically I think it works best as an elective power.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Re: Acrobatic jumping question

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am

I voted make this type of movement available from a power. Combat Jumping was one of my favorite powers. Combined with Hurdle it was a great 'poor man's Super Jump'. But it allowed such a high degree of mobility, thematically I thought it worked best as a power.

I voted the same for the same reason. One of my favorite characters was a scrapper without a travel power he took from the travel power pools but not the travel power itself i.e. combat jumping etc.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm

I see your point and respectfully disagree. I feel that changing direction mid-jump should apply regular and super jumping.

Regular jumping will pale in comparison to super jump, and moving mid-jump will not reduce the value of super jump.
Changing direction for regular jump will not be great benefit because the height will be limited, but it will make me feel more like a super hero.

In COH, my scrapper had super jump just so I could use combat jumping and get a defense bonus.
I voted make this type of movement available from a power. Combat Jumping was one of my favorite powers. Combined with Hurdle it was a great 'poor man's Super Jump'. But it allowed such a high degree of mobility, thematically I thought it worked best as a power.

I voted the same for the same reason. One of my favorite characters was a scrapper without a travel power he took from the travel power pools but not the travel power itself i.e. combat jumping etc.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 pm

I see your point and respectfully disagree. I feel that changing direction mid-jump should apply regular and super jumping.

Regular jumping will pale in comparison to super jump, and moving mid-jump will not reduce the value of super jump.
Changing direction for regular jump will not be great benefit because the height will be limited, but it will make me feel more like a super hero.

In COH, my scrapper had super jump just so I could use combat jumping and get a defense bonus.
you're right about the height thing. and frankly we don't know what power pools will be out. and I can't remember how it was in coh. I'll have to log into paragon chat again to test it.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Combat Jumping and super speed worked well. I used to use it instead of super jump due to it defence increase, perfect for pvp.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am

I voted for "Allow in-air direction changes, as part of a special jumping/ acrobatics power". I think a good touch would be to have your character do a flip in the direction you choose when changing direction in mid-air. That may be a bit challenging to code but it would be cool to see and make sense why you're able to change direction while jumping.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:37 am

Allowing a change in-air as part of a power is winning the poll by a big margin right now.

We're waiting to see how this comes out.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 am

Allowing a change in-air as part of a power is winning the poll by a big margin right now.

We're waiting to see how this comes out.

I checked last night. CoH didn't have the ability to change direction unless you had superjump or another power that allowed it.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 am

Combat Jumping gave exceptional mobility when jumping. Even my squishies had CJ for that reason.

I actually did an experiment on the test server with CJ using 2 jump HOs and 4 jumps, and Hurdle 6 slotted with jumps - obviously before ED. While it was not Superjump, it was a VERY effective way to get around. I went to the 'Pit' in Terra Volta, where you were deep below the surface and there were pipes everywhere. I was able to get out of the pit with no problem. A bit slower than SJ or flight, obviously. But with the extremely low endurance cost, combined with the defense buff, it would have made a fine travel power if you did not have to invest 10 (!) slots to get it to work.

I don't have the chart anymore, but forward jumps were only a bit shorter than unslotted Superjump. It was something like 274 feet vs 303 feet.

***ADDED AS AN EDIT***

I did a LOT of experimenting on test, although most of it was pre-ED and I deleted all my charts out of disgust over how much damage was done with ED. But if you had some basic questions about power performance in CoH, ask me, like I said I tested a LOT of things.

Strife3

Postby Strife3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm

In CoH jumping wasnt high enough without taking the leaping power pool. The jumpp was too short to change direction, with Combat Jumping you could change directions but you went no where. It took super jump to let you change directions and your jump was uneffected by it. Which I didnt mind due to sometimes passing mobs up.

As I rememer it Leaping went this way.
Jump Kick
Combat Jump
Super Jump
Acrobatics

Combat Jumping was used for the resistants to Immobilazion which is why most people took it
Acrobatics was used to fight knockdown effects and Hold Effects.

Super Jump should be like it was in CoH

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I used a travel power IO set with KB resist in CJ and two Jump SOs (or single aspect Jump IOs) in Hurdle. It made moving around much more nimble and lively, as well as providing KB resist to toons without it. Combined with the Immob resist in CJ, this was a very effective setup for corruptors and defenders, which were the only squishies I played very much.

Kelha

Postby Kelha » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Posting this before reading the rest of the posts so that I can give my uninfluenced opinion. I was very tempted to vote for power specific jump movement changing because thats what CoH had, and CoH was perfect.... except..... CoH wasn't totally perfect, and one thing was I hated having to waste a pool and power choice just to take combat jumping on my super speeding melee characters so that I can travel around with slightly more grace than a drunk great dane puppy. Its a game about super heroes, screw realism, and give us the quality of life benefit of being able to control our unrealistically already high jumping heroes around the air.... trust me you'll want it when you're trying to platform. It will look a lot less clunky than it would without it. Not to mention players from other game that have it will come here, see this doesn't, and automatically say "If this quality of life benefit is missing, what else is."

Red5

Postby Red5 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:31 pm

I had single character that had SJ. Kinda pissed me off to read people complaining that flying was the "safe" travel power and more so the calls for it to be nerfed.

Never much cared for SJ as a travel power but can say it was certainly faster and about as good as flying in terms of getting up on places.

I am not one to say don't do it but... it will certainly open a can of worms imho. If your going to change physics of the game...might as well let ppl SS up walls and spiderclimb and all that jazz too.
...reporting in.

Byph

Postby Byph » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Never much cared for SJ as a travel power
IMHO, that's good game design, because SJ was my favorite. It would have been a tragedy if everyone picked the same one. Plus, it was just fun to bounce around.

That said. I chose my travel powers based on the character I was trying to create, not the fastest, safest, or most fun. If it was a winged character I chose flight. My cat character chose SJ because, well, cats don't fly, they pounce.

In general, one should err on giving players choice. If a player feels that it provides appropriate flavor to their character, and they're willing to spend a power slot on it, by all means let them.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm

I think these days it's essential to be able to change direction mid-jump, even if it's only by a small amount. It's something that people are used to in MMO's and not being able to do so just feels 'wrong' somehow. Whether it's innate or something you earn, it has to be there.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “Polling Discussion”