Channeling Poll Question

Solarverse

Channeling Poll Question

Postby Solarverse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:35 pm

It would seem that a great number of players seem to think that this would be great for an MMO...but before (probably too late) you vote yes on this one...I would like for you to take a look at Champions Online. That game is a Charge up and release and Channeling game.

Play that for a while and then tell me how much you think it would be a good idea. It sounds good on paper but it is extremely boring in actual game play. It leaves no room for chaining abilities, because players do nothing but channel after channel after channel...with multiple abilities on their tray that doesn't even get used because they are too busy channeling that one power.

Games like this should be built to revolve around chaining and making use of ALL powers on your tray, making them all usefull and used regularly. Channeling abilities completely negates that.

Trust me when I say...It's not as fun as it sounds.

Cranos
Site Admin

Re: Channeling Poll Question

Postby Cranos » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:54 pm

I was thinking we may do it more the way that WoW does it with casters and only for range classes and only certain abilities. most abilities wouldn't be channeled however if you get interrupted on one of you channels you should get penalized for it so it would make fake casting a thing.

Capzlock

Postby Capzlock » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm glad someone made a post about this. I did vote "interesting" on the poll, but I'm still hesitant about channeled powers. First time I tried Champions online I picked a channeling healer class, and it made me quit after the first hour.

Channeling isn't so bad in games like WoW. It just has to be done with a mix of instant casts/procs, and preferably some mobility.

Solarverse

Postby Solarverse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 pm

I was thinking we may do it more the way that WoW does it with casters and only for range classes and only certain abilities. most abilities wouldn't be channeled however if you get interrupted on one of you channels you should get penalized for it so it would make fake casting a thing.
The problem I had with channeling powers in WoW, is that often the target you have dies before you can really unleash a full chain...either that or your procs die out before you can get to the next mob, so by time you finally get the proc to make that channeling ability worth it, that mob has already been defeated...rinse/repeat. The only time it really felt useful was against boss fights.

Just some things to consider if you guys do indeed implement channeling abilities. I think if you guys really think the system out and take other games in to consideration, you guys can probably find a way to make them viable against more than just a boss, while also not making them the primary powers used by Blasters/Defenders.

Thanks for the reply, Cranos! Very appreciated. :)

Cranos
Site Admin

Postby Cranos » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Channeling isn't so bad in games like WoW. It just has to be done with a mix of instant casts/procs, and preferably some mobility.
100% agree

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:28 pm

The problem I had with channeling powers in WoW, is that often the target you have dies before you can really unleash a full chain...either that or your procs die out before you can get to the next mob, so by time you finally get the proc to make that channeling ability worth it, that mob has already been defeated...rinse/repeat. The only time it really felt useful was against boss fights.

Just some things to consider if you guys do indeed implement channeling abilities. I think if you guys really think the system out and take other games in to consideration, you guys can probably find a way to make them viable against more than just a boss, while also not making them the primary powers used by Blasters/Defenders.

Thanks for the reply, Cranos! Very appreciated. :)
This. If things die quickly, channeling really becomes a penalty to a power.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 am

Man i guess i'm living under a rock and have not played a lot ( thought i did ) i don't know what channeling is .... some one tell me what it is and ill
look to avoid it :?:
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:26 am

CoH had channels after a fashion, remember. Things like telekinesis, and the blaster snipe charges up.

As long they're rare and appropriate, I don't see a problem.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 pm

As long as the words "channeling" is not on your bar; that was so unoriginal and dumb in WoW, especially for beastmasters. Should have been "Taming."

I say no to focus timed abilities. I like how Marvel Heroes has none, to my knowledge. It slows down the action as you mentioned. I like clicking through my abilities in Marvel Heroes, who has the best combat of any superhero mmo imo.

DCUO is too slow and unresposnive and CO is a game of timers.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:16 am

Man i guess i'm living under a rock and have not played a lot ( thought i did ) i don't know what channeling is .... some one tell me what it is and ill
Channelled powers are basically powers that fire constantly as long as you hold the key down. Things like a flamethrower would typically be channeled while things that fire once, like some sort of projectile weapon, wouldn't be. They usually start off doing little damage but increase over time and are interruptible.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Ok, I thought you meant the casting powers, like CO had with fire blast, etc; abilities that need to be charged. I like the projectiles which fire by holding down a key, because the combat never stops.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks luna i understand channaling now .... so Ill think about this if i want to have that power for a toon???
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Jordan Yen

Postby Jordan Yen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:44 am

Channelled powers are basically powers that fire constantly as long as you hold the key down. Things like a flamethrower would typically be channeled while things that fire once, like some sort of projectile weapon, wouldn't be. They usually start off doing little damage but increase over time and are interruptible.
This sounds like "micro" in Starcraft. I don't have the brainpower for it apparently since I suck at SC2 when you have to control every little thing. I liked being able to fire a power and forget about it and I'm not sure what advantage holding a button down would have. Heck, I liked to use the R run command so I didn't have to hold down W to go places.
Please see my Everything I Hope for A City of Heroes Sequel Game article for the most important things I want to see in a new game.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:10 pm

I think that there is some assumption that Channeled powers would not have cooldowns. Personally, I see no reason why a channeled power could not also be limited by having a cooldown, thus eliminating the issue where characters just channel in combat.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I think that there is some assumption that Channeled powers would not have cooldowns. Personally, I see no reason why a channeled power could not also be limited by having a cooldown, thus eliminating the issue where characters just channel in combat.
They usually have a cost, mana in fantasy games, maybe energy or something like that in a superhero game which increases as the channelled power is used. The increasing cost prevents permanent channelling. Then, of course, you have balance issues where support characters increase energy regen... it's a huge can of worms for the devs to deal with. That's why all MMO's have balance issues. Then if you throw pvp into the mix it becomes a nightmare - I don't envy them their task at all :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “Polling Discussion”