Comments on the Event

Consultant

Comments on the Event

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:09 am

The essence of this invasion (there will be more than one eventually) is that we defend the center of the city, under the Arch. Enemies come in waves. They are tough, especially the bosses. We can make them less tough, or more, if we discover that the starting level of difficulty is not fun.

With apologies to my British friends, the fight may resemble a super-powered scrum after a contentious British soccer match...but it is fun.

Don't forget to tell us what kind of FPS you had, how many heroes were in your version of the event, and what hardware you have. We are looking to understand how this goes around the world (server is in Seattle).

And how much fun you had, and what would make it even more fun.

They are hard to see, but there are four destructible buffing stations helping the heroes. We're also testing destructible assets in this event...we want to have more of that in the future.

Parkhyeyeon

Re: Comments on the Event

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:03 am

Discord is available for voice chat and posting info as well.

Still downloading... :(
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Telera

Postby Telera » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:43 am

I was able to join the event for just under an hour. There were 24, then 26 heroes during the time I was on. My FPS started at 140, but once more people were on, it fluctuated between 84-99, which is still good. It was a fun melee, albeit with a few crashes. Will be sending those logs as well,

I am on an Alienware Aurora R9 with Nvidia RTX 2070 Super graphics and i7 processor.

There were a few issues - Crashed after dying the first couple of times, which I took my graphics from Ultra to High, and that helped with stability a bit. The Power Bar would be absent upon log in. I tried reloading the UI which did nothing, then I tried adjustments in the graphics setting. I also relogged a couple of times. It seemed to pop back in by itself after 30-45 seconds. When the power bar is not visible, no powers could be used via number buttons.

Was able to stay on without crashing for the third boss alien, then crashed just standing around afterwards.

Was not in a team during the event. As a healer, it's hard to see who needs heals without seeing any kind of power/health bar and clicking is difficult in middle of chaos.

Also, do not know if this is working as intended, but no animations for powers when hovering, and until I dropped graphics from Ultra to High, none either - just the cast bar and some visual effects.

An area auto team/raid group would be helpful in identifying PCs who need to be buffed/healed/rezzed.

That said, I did have fun and the potential is good for large group battles. Here's hoping my crash logs help :)

Maeduin

Postby Maeduin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Glad to get a bit more time in SoH this weekend.

Was running the invasion event on MSI GE63 Raider, Win 10.0.18363, Intel i7-9750H CPU, 16GB RAM

FPS when playing solo was between 95 and 103. During invasion event it would be 58 at lowest and up to 86 when idle (heroes logged in, no invasion forces).

Crash reports sent in. Had six crashes total.

Most of the feedback was covered via chat following the event, here are a couple other things I noted:
-Despite 50+ FPS, I noticed some rubberbanding, stuttering NPCs. Probably more on the server side.
-Line of sight on the Berserker model: could have been related to the above, but if I was looking at the bottom half of the model, I would get notified that it was not in my LOS when using Zap.

Grouping:
-Would like to see an option to promote a team member to leader. With mentor system, a low-level leader will lower the level of higher level characters, which can be a useful feature, but for the invasion event, you'd want a higher level group. Being able to promote a player in an already formed group would avoid having to disband the group and reinvite the players.

Missions:
-Not tied to the invasion at all, but in the mission "Attack in the Forest Park", the mission text states the park is to the south of the Warehouse District, but it is north. Additionally, the Deranged Negdellion was not spawning.

Thanks again for the event, hope the reports and feedback are useful.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm

The crashes were definitely a disappointment. And we did not have any crashes like this in pre-event testing, but honestly, this is why we test. this just shows the immense value of you guys coming in today and helping us.

So thank you all very much! Your help is really meaningful!

As we usually do, we are making a list of things we want to fix or change, and you suggestions above are adding to the list!

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:36 pm

I did get on and run around a bit this afternoon. I also crashed a couple times with just a "Fatal Error" message.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:53 pm

Lots of crashes and at times could not talk on global chat. Had a great time though, and the end boss was awesome looking (even though he stomped me a bunch of times!)

ZiaFyre

Postby ZiaFyre » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:12 pm

(this is olepi, guess I lost my password, can't get a new one)

My post on MMORPG.com

The invasion test event was a lot of fun. I was only able to play for a couple of hours during the event; it was a lot of fun for us to fight off waves of enemies, each harder than the last.

After 3-4 waves, I would get one-shotted easily. It was fun to play alongside the devs and get instant communication from them. We had some crashes, but even with my ancient rig I was still getting 30+ fps. The grouping up in teams and mentoring levels based on the team leader worked well.

They left the server up for the whole weekend, so I was able to get back on later and play for hours. Running a few missions, farming mobs for drops, and building different power sets and leveling them to see how they played.

I eventually settled on a fire devastator, a combination of offensive fire and defensive healing/buffing. I could buff myself up, then AOE groups of mobs down. Or sneak up and one-shot them. Great fun! I hope to use this same character in the next beta test.

All in all, the game is fun. It still needs more polish, the crafting needs to be fleshed out more, more missions need to be added, etc. The basic game is there, the city is beautiful, especially at night, and the gameplay is fun.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:20 am

I logged in early this morning (UK). Have a few observations in the short time I played on a new character.

Damage shown on powers tooltips doesn't appear to scale with level, it always shows the base damage.

Using the triple V cape (or whatever it's called - the full length one!) when hovering, it clips right through the centre of the character rather than hanging behind it and sometimes hangs in front of the character when coming to a stop on the ground.

Mouse is far too sensitive. The adjustment in the settings only goes down to 50% and appears to have little effect and it's always back at 100% when logging in after being changed in settings.

Powers don't queue the way I expected. i.e. if a timer (global?) is running you can fire the same power again to queue it but you can't queue a different power. I would expect to be able to queue any power during the global cooldown. (Edited) Actually this one seems inconsistent, as if some powers trigger a hidden global cooldown but others don't).

Some indication of a target being in range would be helpful. Most MMO's do this by graying out powers in the tray when they're not usable - i.e. no target selected or out of range.

Some way to disable the tilde key would be handy, it's right next to "1" and accidentally hitting it in combat usually leads to defeat.

PLEASE add a confirmation on the game exit button!

=============

The invasion went quite well. Crashed once when I was flying and trying to fight, no further crashes when I stayed on the ground. FPS on my old system (i7 CPU, AMD R9 380 4GB GPU ) hovered around 30FPS during the invasion which wasn't bad at all though some of the npc's assets seemed to take a while to load (they were invisible though targeted and taking damage). The inventory fills up quickly and I couldn't find a way to delete items or use them.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

BlackNexus

Postby BlackNexus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:25 am

Good Morning. I feel like I could provide better feedback if I knew exactly what you were testing. Based off the original context of this post it looks like you're gathering information on some advanced features like item destruction but the basics didn't even work for me in this event.

I played a bit last night and I'm pretty sure I was the only one on the server. Things ran fairly smooth with a few exceptions such as dying and not having the ability to respawn so my body just slide around the city. With the event today under The Arch the networking was a sad struggle to see. The enemies would spawn in, run across the compass, stand still, and disappear. I couldn't interact with anything. I was there for about five minutes and the game was still trying to populate the other heroes.

I have many other comments/questions but they're not specific to the event so I won't put them here. :)

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:43 pm

The invasion event was fun and I used my lvl 10 Controller this time. She did level once during the event. Woot!

I turned off vertical sync for this test. With vertical sync on my fps hovers around 60, with it off the fps is usually between high 70s to lower 100s.
During the invasion with the vertical sync off, my fps was in the 60s. It did lower to high 50s during the later battles. I had no crashes, just died once.

Played on my main PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Ram: 64 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

ZiaFyre

Postby ZiaFyre » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Played my lvl 12 fire devastator. No crashes, and only died a few times.

With graphics at 4, I was getting about 19 FPS with my ancient rig (AMD 8350, AMD 7970) during the busiest times. Even then, I had no problem playing, no rubber-banding, no appreciable lag. There was some delay in loading assets after dying and running back, but I only get 2mb/sec on my internet.

The mobs were too easy, we wiped them easily.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Level 20 Tank, no crashes, didn't die, and I think I might have killed something.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

TechMagus

Postby TechMagus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:03 pm

20 Devastator
Dark/Time
high 50 FPs solo
low 50 FPS when with people
high 30 low 40 FPS in mass battle.
Running a 1080 GTX Ti - i7 8700k - 32 GB of Ram on a SSD

I suspect something is up with my rig though - that does not seem like those results are jiving with that hardware based on what others are saying.

Also - it appears Dark Ray and Dark Bomb are doing their damage EVERY animation cycle (so Dark ray hits like 10 times and Dark Bomb hits 3 times)

Return to “Feedback on the Invasion”