Installation always starts over from the beginning

Rynwin

Installation always starts over from the beginning

Postby Rynwin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:09 pm

So I haven't been able to install after four attempts because every time the installation errors out (which happened twice) or stops for no apparent reason (which happened once), or I have to stop the installation myself for some reason, it starts back over from the beginning. Maybe put a bit higher priority on making a more professional-level installer that can actually pick up where it left off?

Consultant

Re: Installation always starts over from the beginning

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:23 pm

You may have some other programs running on your computer that are interrupting or preventing the download.

Well over 1,200 others have downloaded, so the installer is working pretty well.

If you look at what's running and shut down anything unnecessary, that may speed things up and allow you to get the download to complete.

Rynwin

Re: Installation always starts over from the beginning

Postby Rynwin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:08 pm

The download failed to complete in one sitting because I have a slower and slightly unstable internet connection. It's not enough to cause significant problems while PLAYING an MMO, but it is bad enough that having to download 8G in one go with no network interruption is essentially an IMPOSSIBLE feat.

It's doesn't matter if 1200 or 12000 or 120000 other players with blazing fast internet connections have successfully downloaded the game. The ability to stop and resume a large client download is the industry standard for a reason. Requiring complete and uninterrupted monopoly of a person's connection for the block of time it takes to download 8G of data is not respectful of the end user, and also makes the elitist judgment that everyone (who matters) has blazing fast internet. Downloading 8G takes more than 8 hours on my connection. If I start it when I go to bed, it's still not going to be done when I have to kill the download the next morning so that I have enough bandwidth to do my job - that is, assuming it didn't already commit suicide because there was a little hiccup in the connection.

All I'm saying is that as you begin doing more beta events, you should give some priority to implementing the basic, industry standard feature of being able to stop and resume a client download, in order to make it easier for everyone to participate.

Return to “Comments about organization of the Beta”