Ship of Heroes Current Game UI | We need your help!

Cranos
Site Admin

Ship of Heroes Current Game UI | We need your help!

Postby Cranos » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello Everybody,
If you haven't seen yet we have just posted in the news section in regards to our in game UI but we need your help. :D

https://www.shipofheroes.com/ship-of-he ... t-game-ui/

Please tell us what you like more and tell us why.

thank you all for the feedback you provide.

Styrj

Re: Ship of Heroes Current Game UI | We need your help!

Postby Styrj » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi. I've been following the progress since I first heard about SoH and I like what I have seen so far. As to the UI, I prefer a square mini-map (just me). Overall the UI is looking good (quite easy on my 7 decade eyes). As to Health/Energy bar, I prefer red (energy), green (health). Again, this is just my prefs. Keep up the great work devs! I can't wait to be in-game!!

One question: Are the UI sub-windows movable/re-adjustable to user preference as they were in CoHV? Thanks in advance.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Cranos
Site Admin

Postby Cranos » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:00 pm

One question: Are the UI sub-windows movable/re-adjustable to user preference as they were in CoHV? Thanks in advance.
Yes :)

Doxxie

Postby Doxxie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

It will be impossible to make 1 UI that everyone will like. If possible create a movable UI with options to change Mini Map from round to square, Action bars from Horizontal to vertical, etc. I am sure you see where I am going with this. If this is not possible just do the best you can. I will get comfortable with any solution the devs come up with. Looking forward to playing. I too miss COH.

brain

Postby brain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 pm

I would prefer the regular Green health bar /blue energy bar, also I like the square minimap and ofc that its sizeable.

Really like what I see here !

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Selectable square/circle mini-map (but if it has to be one, the spouse says circle)

Health - Green (the red seems too harsh)
Energy - Yellow or Orange (blue seems muted based on the game palette, red too harsh)

Power activation - CIRCLES all the way!

That it is customizable is fantastic.

Keep up the great work, tell us when you'll take our money. =D

-Griff

EDIT: P.S. - I'm not, but had an SG member that was colorblind, not sure if there will be some "high contrast" toggle or what, but just a thought...

OhhPaigey

Postby OhhPaigey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:38 pm

I like the Red HP bar and green energy/mana bar.

Round icons are nice, so are squares. I think more people would prefer the rounded icons on the action bar though, square seems very overused and "outdated".

Chuckers611

Postby Chuckers611 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:58 pm

I like the green health with the purple energy bars. The contrast between the two colors makes it easy to discern at a quick glance.

As for the power bars, I am hoping that they are keyboard assign-able. I played CoX with my left hand on WASD for movement and my right hand on my number pad for powers. Using my mouse only when I had a target power. If they are assignable, I prefer the squares with the number underneath the power.

However, I must say I love the look of the UI.

Banished Archangel

Postby Banished Archangel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:01 pm

UI looks absolutely FANTASTIC! That it can be customized is awesome.

My preferences:

Health: Green
Energy: Purple

Minimap: Circle

Powerset: Circles with numbers for easy reference for keyboard use.

Keep up the excellent work!

JodoKast

Postby JodoKast » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:26 pm

My preference is:

Green health
Purple energy

How hard would it be to code in color changes with the UI customizations? Also, can there be a hotkey set up for a raid UI, for quick switching?
The one thing that I really enjoyed about Star Wars: the Old Republic was the UI customization. I'll attach a youtube video for reference if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItrXNUssBg

Nightasy

Postby Nightasy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:30 pm

How hard would it be to code in color changes with the UI customizations?
Hmm, I hadn't even considered that option. It's actually not that hard at all. Good idea.

RainbowBryte

Postby RainbowBryte » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi!

I just joined, but I'm hopping right on in.

I definitely preferred the lower UI image. I found the bottom image's health bars didn't feel naggy to me. Red bars make me feel an urgency that I just don't need when I'm busy thinking about other fun gaming things. The design feels seamless and fresh. It's quite lovely.
Hello Everybody,
If you haven't seen yet we have just posted in the news section in regards to our in game UI but we need your help
https://www.shipofheroes.com/ship-of-he ... t-game-ui/

Please tell us what you like more and tell us why.

thank you all for the feedback you provide.

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Green health, blue energy a la CoH is my choice. The navigation compass at the top looks a little bulky to me, same with the quest box. Are they resizable? I prefer the circular power tray to the square one but those both look nice. Very clean and sharp UI so far.

Shieldwolf

Postby Shieldwolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:22 pm

I also am a 'traditionalist' and prefer green health bar and blue energy bar.
I like the round mini map but I think folks are preferring square? Round works better in my opinion.
I hope the windows can be moved around. For example, being able to move the Quest window down lower or to the other side and above the chat window. That way you could easily see both team conversations and available quests together. That's assuming you go with CoH's old model of being able to run any missions of any character on a team.
Virtue server, Dawn Patrol SG
Crimsonstar
Chain Lightning
Lady Victoria

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 pm

In terms of colors, I think CoX had it right. Health in green (more on that in a moment), energy in blue, experience in purple. Will there be xp debt like in CoX? You'll need a color for that too.

The health bar is an opportunity to use colors to convey status urgency: green when over 50% health, yellow when between 25% and 50%, and red when below 25%. Maybe even blinking red when below 5%. When it comes to the health bar, you want to convey as much useful state information as possible.

As for shapes of things, I feel that squares are better than circles for most UI elements. The reason is that circles take up just as much space as squares due to their bounding boxes, but they don't use that space efficiently; the corners are thrown away for no reason. That corner space holds useful information, especially when it comes to maps. And small power icons are hard to visually parse under the best of circumstances, so you probably want to maximize your opportunities to use as large a "canvas" as possible for those icons. Here again, squares are better because they make use of the corners that just go to waste when you use circles.

Return to “Announcements”