Ship of Heroes Current Game UI | We need your help!

Hadder

Re: Ship of Heroes Current Game UI | We need your help!

Postby Hadder » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Quickly messed around with a quick mockup for the fun of it with a smaller faceplate (can you tell I'm bored right now!). Top is the original the devs showed us. Lower, is smaller (ignore that I didn't add all the shiny styling to the bars)

P.S. I kinda like the large bars but a preferences option to make them smaller would be cool. I guess it depends on how much time and work that would take.

Hadder
Hadder

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:08 am

I like it; why?

I can see myself playing it with no issues.

vladko92

Postby vladko92 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:00 am

Health Bar - Green

Energy/Mana Bar - Blue or Purple (I like both of them)

Action Bar - Rounded definitely!

Mini Map - Also Rounded

I think that the screen is a bit overwhelmed with different stuffs.

So perhaps to make it more clean...

Chat to disappear after 1 minute of inactivity, or permanently by the player choice, until he actually needs it.

That on top, which says "Go to science park" has to go... absolutely no need of it! Or something like a drop down option, so we can hide it...

The quest log... a bit more smaller? Takes a bit too much space in my opinion... perhaps becoming invisible, showing only the words, but without the background and the side bars.

And the side bar, which gives you access to your character, perhaps your inventory and whatsoever. (The bar on the left side of the screen), has to be dropable too... or at least being able to hide it, by disappearing in the side of the monitor, and only when you roam with your mouse cursor over there, it comes out? Or perhaps when you enter in your Character Profile (P I guess or C), then it shows up, with all the other options... but definitely takes space on the screen which is entirely unneeded.

And that all from me!

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:21 am

Depending on your screen real estate (I have a 27" Hans G monitor @ 1920x1200), I prefer the larger health/energy bars, although the smaller one would work as well. Also, I would prefer that the major UI components be moveable & re-sizeable and a square mini-map.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

scope creep

Postby scope creep » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:04 am

The health bar is an opportunity to use colors to convey status urgency: green when over 50% health, yellow when between 25% and 50%, and red when below 25%. Maybe even blinking red when below 5%. When it comes to the health bar, you want to convey as much useful state information as possible.
I was going to say something like this. Agreed.
As for shapes of things, I feel that squares are better than circles for most UI elements. The reason is that circles take up just as much space as squares due to their bounding boxes, but they don't use that space efficiently; the corners are thrown away for no reason. That corner space holds useful information, especially when it comes to maps. And small power icons are hard to visually parse under the best of circumstances, so you probably want to maximize your opportunities to use as large a "canvas" as possible for those icons. Here again, squares are better because they make use of the corners that just go to waste when you use circles.
I agree about the map -- make it square -- but for power icons, perhaps what you mention here about being hard to parse visually is an argument for circles, as the less efficient use of space provides more contrast in order to ease finding it.

I'm not suggesting that CoH did it therefore make it so, but there seem to be good reasons for how it was.

Personally, I like green health with purple energy, but if the health bar changes color, then there's probably not enough contrast between red and purple.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:21 am

I like the green on blue better. It just looks better to me. For the power tray, circles. My answer is based on a mix of nostalgia, aesthetics, and not having that generic MMO feel to it. I think the biggest of those 3 is defiantly nostalgia. Seeing a screen shot with circles in it evoked an emotional response from me.

Crowe

Postby Crowe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:30 pm

I think the UI is excellent -- especially since my question about movable/dockable UI elements has already been answered. I don't care about the square vs. round minimap as long as it's working and functional.

Truvidien

Postby Truvidien » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm liking the UI as well. If only the bars were a slider so we can arrange how small/big the font is. Was hoping you guys were gonna have the party frames on it as well.

Darcueid

Postby Darcueid » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Prefer the red and orange HP/EN bar. It stands out more, which I feel is better because the blue and green seem to blend it with the rest of the UI making me feel that I would see it less during combat and thus die more cause I didn't notice my health was so low.

If you keep the blue/green bar then I would recommend something like the screen becoming a faded red color when hitting low HP (80%) red, and then gradually becoming a more opaque red as you hit critical levels of HP. Oh, so not to obstruct the view of the players you could have a circular region around the character that is more transparent than the rest of the screen.

As for icons in the power tray I feel that the round icons work better with the UI since most of the UI has rounded corners.

In addition, I like to have a minimalist UI because I like to see as much of the world in the game that I can, so I think it would be nice if there was feature that allowed us to checkbox parts of the UI that we wish to auto-fade or auto-hide. Also, maybe the option to select which UI windows we want to auto-collapse until we hit a related key for them. For example: the chat UI will be in a collapse state until the "enter" key is pressed.

Wow, sorry for the long post. Thank you for all your hard work, and I look forward to the next new letter. :)

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:03 am

I am now wondering how the UI would look as a blackish/dark grey or white/lite grey and minimal borders/bezel.

It might make all the colours pop both on screen and the icons.

Hadder
Hadder

TheDevian

Postby TheDevian » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:05 pm

My preference would be for the friendlies to have the green HP bar and blue stamina bar, while enemies have a red and orange combination. Or perhaps if you make it so players can be villains, then just do green/blue for the hero affiliated characters and the red/orange for the ones who are friendly to the villains.

This would make it easier to quickly identify your target as friend/foe which for the support characters especially, help reduce mistargets.

Though the ideal solution would be to allow the player to adjust it to their tastes in the options along with the rest of the UI, this way everyone can have what they want.

Freelyx

Postby Freelyx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:53 pm

I would take the compass and connect it to the minimap. Have it just below the map so it's just above the quest/mission drop down. This opens the view up more and puts all the relevant quest, direction, and map info in one area of the screen.

I would also change the directionality of the health/energy bar to up and down and place it along the left of the screen, as the meter reduces, it would lower, if you are healed, it would raise back up. Your target's health bar would then be shown just right of your health bar.

I would also connect the chat tot he top of the powers tray left of the screen. Powers below the chat. Opening the center of the screen up as much as possible. This for me is prefered so I can see enemies I'm fighting without the UI blocking anything center screen.

Also the enemy or target health reticle should offer the option of showing their health and or energy levels over their heads instead of along the side of the screen.

godslayer

Postby godslayer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:21 am

Allow players to push the various movable UI elements to a second monitor.

This will allow them to declutter the screen for gameplay, while aligning the UI elements to one side.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:46 am

I prefer the health/energy bar top right and horizontal. So, make it customizable & movable.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:59 am

Awesome post Hadder, btw. The community around CoH was one of the things that really made it shine, and your posts demonstrate that's not gone away :)
4.) Allow for these bars to be resized horizontally. Example: Currently the bars are 1 row of 12 slots. Allow it to be shrunk to 2 rows of 6 slots and 3 rows of 4 slots. That way, if we can move these bars around, I can have 3 or 4 bar groupings are 2x6/3x4 each on the bottom of the screen.
I second this - very nice idea. Very good reason to keep the tray sizes to twelve, too, to allow for these additional layout options.

I'd definitely want to re-position the elements, and have the windows toggle-able. Being able to adjust opacity and tint the windows would be awesome. Especially if those options are saved per character as in the original CoH - I remember matching my UI to each character's primary colour, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

And I said this last time, but I vastly prefer the round power icons, though I'd love to see a mock-up with hexagonal ones, just out of interest :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Return to “Announcements”