Why the Community Matters

lunawisp

Re: Why the Community Matters

Postby lunawisp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 am

Thanks for sharing that SirJeffery. It bought a tear to my eye and I don't even know any of the people involved. There was something about CoH that bought out something good in people as it bought us together. If SoH can capture that, and judging by the forums I think we're making a good start, it'll be like coming back home for all of us (hmm, that made sense when I thought of it!)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

SirJeffery

Postby SirJeffery » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Well said.

Coming home.

I like it!

Sir Jeffery
SS/Fire tank
Sir Jeffery
SS/Fire Tank
City of Heroes vet starting at issue 2

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm

COH was the first mmo i ever played.

I had always been scared to go online and was content with playing offline games. The thought of interacting with other people was daunting, what if you offended someone or made a fool of yourself because you couldn't do something that someone else could. This didn't seem to matter in COH

I bought a copy of the game in London and as mentioned earlier it sat there for ages before i had the courage to try it out. The first memory was wondering around Atlas park like a tourist looking up when someone sent a mission invite. I accepted even though i was terrified as i had never teamed before.
The mission owner was a beautiful toon who I assumed (never assume) was female and she showed me where to go and what to do, i think i fell in love with that toon a little bit as we teamed for several weeks. The next hour was the most exciting gaming i have experienced since playing the first game on my Commodore 64.

My son would sit with me watching and one day i let him jump and fly around and he was hooked. He is now studying game mechanics to go on to Uni next year.

When COH closed down we both cried, watching the final 10mins on youtube still gets me, the sadness in that women's voice as she announces the servers going down epitomises the community that was being destroyed.

So when i saw SOH at Pax it was like finding your way home, I have been reinvigorated. I have even ventured back in to COH via paragon Chat on the advice of Golden Ace (Many thanks).

My son and I are very grateful for the vision and Hard work that has gone into SOH and we will support you to the best of our abilities.
Last edited by Turtlesandwich on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 pm

COH was the first mmo i ever played.

I had always been scared to go online and was content with playing offline games. The thought of interacting with other people was daunting, what if you offended someone or made a fool of yourself because you couldn't do something that someone else could. This didn't seem to matter in COH

I bought a copy of the game in London and as mentioned earlier it sat there for ages before i had the courage to try it out.
That sounds so much like me. first mmo and daunted by the fact I would be playing with others. it sat on my shelf for months. Then finding such a wonderful community that was willing to help not ridicule... For a first MMO we couldn't have made a better choice.

I have even ventured back in to COH via paragon Chat on the advice of Golden Ace (Many thanks).
Glad to have you there, hope you are enjoying it. if you see me in paragon chat. give me a tell. I venture on every few days for around an hour getting badges. doing a zone at a time. our time zones probably will not allow that though. :/
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

SirJeffery

Postby SirJeffery » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Wait ... What?!

Paragon chats has zones other than Atlas Park?

You can actually badge hunt? That would require travel powers. I thought all you could do was stand around the statue and chat.

Holy missunderstanding Batman! I NEED to set that up. Like ... now!
Sir Jeffery
SS/Fire Tank
City of Heroes vet starting at issue 2

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello everyone.

I have never been a large contributor to the forums but I feel compelled to share my experiences within the City of Heroes community and how that has impacted me as a gamer and a human being.

I watched the video interview with Positive gamer yesterday. During the video the conversation turned to community and connection. It brought back some strong memories and emotions.

I received the City of Heroes game as a Christmas present and though the box looked beautiful I had little interest. I had never even heard of the acronym MMO. It sat on my computer desk for weeks until late in January, bored, I loaded the game and was instantly enthralled.

Suddenly my computer became a resource requiring time management. My wife, and both of my sons where equally enthralled and wanted their own shot at being a super hero. We took shifts and when it was not our turn at the keyboard we where no less present exploring and enjoying the game as a family all crammed into the bedroom where my computer lived.

Soon I had purchased new computers and copies of the game for them all. My first two months of playing the game cost me in the neighborhood of $2,500. It was worth every penny.

We formed a supergroup and called ourselves the Fantastic Family of 4. I mean ... Just writing this down brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye. It was a very special time for us to bond in a shared passion for a game.

Soon we started making in game friends and we met Ven and Val, a married couple from Quebec Canada. My wife and I became very close friends with them. Then tragedy struck. Ven died suddenly of a heart attack. Val was absent for a time, understandably, but then she logged back in and reached out to us. Our friendship grew outside of the game. Some years later Val moved to California and remarried. I have my wedding invitation to this day stuck in the corner of my bedroom mirror.

There are other stories but these are the ones that pull at the heart strings and make me long for that sense of community I have yet to be able to find in any MMO I've played since. EVE came close for a time ...

My enjoyment of games has forever been colored and held to the standard the community set in City of Heroes. I look forward to recapturing that in Ship of Heroes.

Perhaps my participation in the forums will improve.

Sir Jeffery
SS/Fire tank

Omg SirJeffery that brought tears to my eyes. I was touched by your words. This is why I want Soh to exist. I to miss the golden years of Coh. Hopefully Soh will be comparable.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Wait ... What?!

You can actually badge hunt? That would require travel powers. I thought all you could do was stand around the statue and chat.

yes. I have nearly 300 now.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Wait ... What?!

It has all the zones, kheldians, travel powers, emotes including transitions effects, etc. and working transit systems.

If you decide to go back and spend some time there, take a look a http://www.pchat.life - it has links to lots of addons that make life on PC a LOT easier.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

I don't know if it is the community or the nature of the raid themselves, but CO does of solid job of incorporating newer players into raids. I have not witness any rage in the lower lvl alerts. You get the occasional ppl complaining about knock-back attacks, as if every this is the 1st alert dd used knock-back attacks, but overall it is fairly positive.

Complex raiding usually leads to.....

Alienating many players within the community for the "Best"

Arguments

Rage

Multiple cooks in the kitchen

Kicking

Players coming to the forums complaining of kickings

Before you know it, someone makes a thread, "This community is toxic." CO does a good job of limiting this to some degree.

REWREW

Postby REWREW » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:30 pm

I just found this forum and this SOH.

YAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to be able to fly around town soon and blast the baddies as I did as Alayna again. I was a solo player I did alot of group paying with my other toons but not anything to write a comic about. as far as a community I really did not get to do any Community things. My child and I loved adventuring around and save the locals. as a villain we terrorized the locals. As I am watching the youtube I see that it is a very similar look and feel as COH. I will be buying an account for my Daughter so she can play with me on this one. hope it comes out soon.

Alayna
And Robin

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello and greeting to you to REWREW...
I just found this forum and this SOH. YAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to be able to fly around town soon and blast the baddies as I did as Alayna again. I was a solo player I did alot of group paying with my other toons but not anything to write a comic about. as far as a community I really did not get to do any Community things. My child and I loved adventuring around and save the locals. as a villain we terrorized the locals. As I am watching the youtube I see that it is a very similar look and feel as COH. I will be buying an account for my Daughter so she can play with me on this one. hope it comes out soon.
AlaynaAnd Robin
Very glad you found the " FHS Justice " Forums please tell us in the " introduction " section what server you played on ???
p.s. you forum name is quite fun to type :lol: :D
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Alayna
And Robin

Glad you both found us. Oddly enough I terrorized the locals when I was a hero. cheered on the muggers and even brought a bunch up to the top of the globe to give them the top dog badge. they never did say thank you. :/

Welcome Alayna and you to Robin

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Alayna
And Robin
Hi and Welcome to the community.
Don't be afraid to join in, everybody here feels the loss and the hope.

CopperRaven

Postby CopperRaven » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 am

I am debating if I should tell my first Mmo Coh experience...... it was horrible! Lol But in a good way.... 😜. I was used to playing offline games as a few of you have said. I played games prior that were co op, but nothing to this magnitude.
So when I saw all these Npcs standing around under the Atlas statute, it dawned on me it was real people.

I was shocked and an experience I will never forget. This was real people on the other side we can go and do anything in a game? Wow

So here comes the bad part. The very first people I talked too was an elitist pvp group well hated called the Simians. I can not recall what I said but they went full on jerk mode and peceded to degrade me in front of others.

However little did they know muahaha. I might have been new to the game format, if not debating online lol. So we went at it verbally and I had them laughed at.

So here is where the plot thickens. About 6 months go by and I enter a zone called sirens call. Immediately I was getting kill s over and over so fast I didn't have time to breath. They would chase me hound me and throw insults. It was them those damn Simians getting payback for humiliating them.

I was like ok........ i am going to do some serious Rocky 4 $hit and train like I am in mother Russia. 9 months I worked on builds sneaking in sirens call testing in a secret place. Hours and hours days months I didn't stop a man possessed.

So the day came I was going to reveal myself (( I am getting so giddy remembering this)) I go back to Sirens call not hiding and sure enough there they were. I stopped them before the gang up and asked for a duel. They laughed of course

So at first I played along and pretended to be bad. It was hard cause I had trained so long I would just pull my hands away from the keyboard so I die. They were talking smack on and on and it was time.
(( man I am smiling writing this ))

I start playing really playing and suddenly the smack talking stops. Just dead silent and the guy fueling me I can tell is panicking. So I defeat him easily and another Simian jumps in and duels me. Boom next anther boom next. Now they are mad as hell and they all jump me and when I am done I have no one but dead Simakns around me. Everyone was shocked and they tried and tried and died and died.

They left that zone and never once did they own it the way they used too. They abused ppl for years, later I was told I was the reason the super hero base closed down. They were just humiliated. They would recruit and people would bring my name up and it get them so fired up lol. Ohhh man I was so glad they talked crap to me that day
Last edited by CopperRaven on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 am

Nothing like a bully getting comeuppance :D
That's some impressive dedication to a cause there too.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Return to “Announcements”