Why the Community Matters

Re: Why the Community Matters

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:27 am

This worries me a bit "Power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolute".
If you don't mind player-created missions that can level to max level in one day. Then ok else I would not have them.
Just my 2 cents
;)

well, then maybe how about a different aproach?
you don´t get xp for killed enemies but for the time, which is needed to get through the mission while the mission has a minimum of enemies which need to be implemented (so nobody can create an empty mission to get the xp easy). And that time is calculated by the size of the map (like the overall lenght has a calculated average time and that is the base for the xp :). In that case nobody can fill a map with minor enemies to farm or other way around :)
A good idea there will be a check obtuse XP and players can create show how good their imagination is. Also maybe if the missions are good enough they could be expanded and added into another ship level or planet.
sure :) I love good creative work - and I am sure the motivation of being able to share something with the universe (if good enough) would definitely be an extra bonus :) (maybe somebody doing that could get a badge for it and some kind of recognition ;) )

say are you and Odee both work in the Cosmic Business - your texts always stand out of the mass :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 am

well, then maybe how about a different aproach?
you don´t get xp for killed enemies but for the time, which is needed to get through the mission while the mission has a minimum of enemies which need to be implemented (so nobody can create an empty mission to get the xp easy). And that time is calculated by the size of the map (like the overall lenght has a calculated average time and that is the base for the xp :). In that case nobody can fill a map with minor enemies to farm or other way around :)
A good idea there will be a check obtuse XP and players can create show how good their imagination is. Also maybe if the missions are good enough they could be expanded and added into another ship level or planet.
sure :) I love good creative work - and I am sure the motivation of being able to share something with the universe (if good enough) would definitely be an extra bonus :) (maybe somebody doing that could get a badge for it and some kind of recognition ;) )

say are you and Odee both work in the Cosmic Business - your texts always stand out of the mass :D
Do you mean Garfield's Odie? I did game reviews back in the 80s and 90s for Happy Puppy and Game News gamers magazines, but no comic books. In my case, the name comes from my initials, O.D. and has followed me around from the military in the 70s, to date.

All that said. I've always been a problem solver, and idea kind of person, who sees things that others often miss, in a wide variety of topics.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

kaatshima

Postby kaatshima » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I just cannot wait to try this game out i have been missing city of heroes since the day it closed its doors and i am super hyped to open a new door to this game really cannot wait.

I played city of heroes from day one till it closed over 7 years had over 30 lvl 50's both heroes and villian's billions of influence/infamy only to be shafted.

I really hope ship of heroes is just as special as city of heroes is and tons of people including me support the game to make it even better.

LittleMissNutmeg

Postby LittleMissNutmeg » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm

I just cannot wait to try this game out i have been missing city of heroes since the day it closed its doors and i am super hyped to open a new door to this game really cannot wait.
I feel you, kaatshima. It is something of a hope and a dream to see a game like our beloved City of Heroes return. It's why I feel community matters. Because yes, it takes a development team with passion and innovation to create something to share, but it takes the community of people to build that game and make it last.

Even if all we have now is each other, I am very much looking forward to flying high in Apotheosis, beating up bad guys (and good guys, shout out to my villains!) and being a part of the community that makes it all possible. I know I sound like an advertisement for Ship of Heroes, but I feel it is the community that will bring us all together.
"Live life with a little spice!"

CrazySaga

Postby CrazySaga » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm just hoping I can feel the community like I did back in my Champions Online days. While yes, there were issues here and there, but I've noticed due to my coming in at a later point how tight knit the RP community was, and I've been missing that a whole bunch for years. Not to say I was the best at getting involved, but I at least have what I got and want to have those moments again of exploring the game world, seeing what's what and making a setting from there. Plus some of those same people dabbled in City of Heroes to some extent or another, which in a sense, I do have some jealousy of.

Every video that shows a constant improvement of Ship of Heroes makes me more excited, and it's become difficult knowing that a true release is not until the future, whether that be near or far. From what I've seen this community seems to be on the more stable end, and I hope to see that going forward so I can say "Yeah, I've been there with those guys, and they were amazing". Not sure why I spewed out a whole wall of words here, but I suppose letting this out might be a step forward for me so I know where I'm going with potentially a whole new slew of a friends list.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:58 am

Exactly. When we first planned Ship of Heroes, the first and main thing we decided was that we wanted to build a community like we had in City of Heroes. A positive, helpful community. That's the first goal.

And of course, in this game the point is for the players to create their characters and tell their stories, not to play our characters and our stories. Our stuff is backstory to what you yourself create.

One thing I'll say about the closure of COH -- when it happened I had a lot of top-level incarnate characters, and lots of influence (billions), and stored stuff in my bases. I gave it all away, so that players who were returning, or who just didn't have a lot of stuff, or purples, or whatever, could play for the last three months with abandon.

That decision made me feel good back then, and it still does today. We had a positive community back then, so it was good to give. That's part of what we need to re-create.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Devs & mods can build the community, for the most part. Of course players are the majority, but monkey see, monkey do. If the authority figures are snarky, sarcastic (In a bad way), passive aggressive, it rubs off on the community.

This community works so well imo, due to the leadership up top. Randoms & forum members alike see the positivity, & fall in line. Also, Ship of Heroes have some good people on the forums. A pod-caster is called Positive Gamer, does not get anymore positive than that :lol:

i was reading some older threads here, & toxic communities in DCUO were a hot topic. If your mods are snarky, passive aggressive, don't be shocked if your community starts to take on those traits ;) .

I didn't really bothered to talk much on those forums let alone ask the devs anything because I felt like a snarky comment will ensue :lol: . I never bothered to ask for help because I thought players would go full rage mode. I just played solo.

Ravynwynd

Postby Ravynwynd » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:00 pm

SoH in my opinion embraces the CoH community.

As for game content and the community assisting in shaping things.

I have heard of rp server events being added to content. And I know of at least one player in Wow that their character made it into the game.

I am a role-player, and I see lot's of potential for some good rp, and I believe that there will be a pretty good rp community with SoH.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Oh, and game mechanics can also influence a toxic community imo. Gear checks, elite raids tend to enforce an elitist mentality. Ideally, human nature will make players want to utilize the best, most seasoned players which leaves the newer folk in the dark.

I wonder how CoX managed to minimize toxicity?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Oh, and game mechanics can also influence a toxic community imo. Gear checks, elite raids tend to enforce an elitist mentality. Ideally, human nature will make players want to utilize the best, most seasoned players which leaves the newer folk in the dark.

Well for starters COH had no gear and there was no real way to tell how powerful someone was. We couldn’t tell If they had training enhancements, dual origin enhancements, single origin enhancements, (or HO’s, HE’s, CT’s) or invention origin enhancement, or invention origin enhancement sets, or a combination of them all or even no enhancements at all.

And maybe COH also tended to appeal to the older crowd
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:50 am

Yes, and it looks like we're going to be offering those same circumstances with SoH.

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Well for starters COH had no gear and there was no real way to tell how powerful someone was. We couldn’t tell If they had training enhancements, dual origin enhancements, single origin enhancements, (or HO’s, HE’s, CT’s) or invention origin enhancement, or invention origin enhancement sets, or a combination of them all or even no enhancements at all.

I like the added mystery of not knowing everything about my foe, in MMO PVE combat. It is PVP that concerns me, with the possibility of haxored toons. :lol:

Not entirely true for PVP at least. If you were well hidden like a stalker, you could Inspect, or get Info from your target. Not exactly a time friendly process in combat, but at least I could do it.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Ah, I see. Interesting. Shame I never got a chance to play that game.

Isungr

Postby Isungr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:34 pm

About as elite as the Nites on Pinn got was, "Have you run the ITF before? This is a speed-run; don't stop and start roleplaying!"

Return to “Announcements”