Why the Community Matters

Cranos
Site Admin

Postby Cranos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:23 pm

It is an interesting time for Ship of Heroes, and for the MMORPG industry at large.

This year, NC Soft launched the MOBA Master X Master, resurrecting the iconic MMO superhero Statesman... and closed it before the year was out. After more than four years of operation, Disney abruptly closed Marvel Heroes Omega and severed ties with Gazillion Entertainment. Consumers view new games soft-released in perpetual alphas by both small and large studios with the skepticism borne of experience, as a great many MMOs are delayed year after year, or never launch at all. Some question whether there is a future for any superhero MMO.

The tools for creating games are steadily improving, but players grind through free-to-play content and quickly move onto something new, leaving studios trying to find new ways to monetize while churning out DLC and expansions. Big, exciting raids are locked behind paywalls, and behind months or years of grinding. Lockboxes and cash shops have users angry about the pay-to-win business model. Unhappy gamers make these immersive worlds, which already lean towards apocalyptic visions of reality, unpleasant places to stay and spend time, until new players and nice players alike leave, or stay and become equally bitter.

What made MMORPGs worth playing in the first place has been lost: a shared sense of community, of getting to know other players and working cooperatively. Players want to help each other on missions and raids, trade resources and craft upgrades, and generally interact in ways that build real friendships. If one reads what people are saying, that is the main message: they want a game worth playing, one that will not be spoiled by its own toxic atmosphere.

That is why Ship of Heroes is destined to succeed.

We're an MMO unlike any other, one that gamers of all ages, levels of ability, and monetary situations can enjoy together. We set the example for our audience; our dev team is honest and open, and reliably delivers on its promises – so even when we have setbacks, we've earned the trust that we've been given. We work closely with our community, seeking feedback and improving the game with it. We are committed to moderating our community so that negative and destructive players will be asked to shape up or leave, allowing everyone else to relax and have fun.

We've released eighteen videos and counting, and anyone can see how much we've advanced in the latest ones. We are careful not to overpromise, but what we do promise, you can count on having. Our track record has turned some of our most vocal detractors into staunch supporters, and we've welcomed them to join us, on our forums and elsewhere.

It is understandable that some players are wary, having been burned by other projects. But being a small studio with excellent management means we do not need a World of Warcraft-style audience of millions to pay for the game, nor do we need Kickstarter funding – it would have sped up development, but we are succeeding without it. We are decidedly against lockboxes and pay-to-win cash shops; we may offer extra costume pieces at some point down the road, but nothing that gives people who pay extra a combat advantage in the game. Ship of Heroes will not be free; we're on a subscription model, which both deters those who don't really care about the game from playing, and ensures that we won't ever need lockboxes to be financially stable.

Ship of Heroes will go into Beta in 2018, and donors of $25 or more will be welcome to play. But the ship is boarding now. The community is already active, and we are making key decisions right now. To join the discussion, come join our forums – the devs and I are on the boards every day.

We hope that the launch of Ship of Heroes will be more than a rebirth in the superhero MMORPG genre, that it will encourage a new path for the industry overall, for MMOs of all types. But in creating an idyllic universe where you can be a powerful character of your own flexible design, where better to start than with superheroes, and what backdrop could be more limitless than the expanse of space?

To players of the old great and dearly-departed MMORPGs, to newer players who never saw what a positive community was like, and to other dev houses – I extend the invitation. Join us in our mission to resurrect positive community. Join us in launching your own unique games, if you have the inclination. Help us create an MMORPG that is not just fun to play mission-to-mission, but is also the kind of place where you might want to hang out and stay a while. Together, we can reshape the world.

Casey McGeever
December 31st, 2017

Pyrion

Re: Why the Community Matters

Postby Pyrion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 am

Really nice article and i agree 100%. Commiting to beta in 2018 is a bold move that is much appreciated; i actually believe that you will pull that off.

So, Cranos and Consultant are actually the same person? Which one wears the cape? :)

Of course now that the cat is out of the bag (beta wise) i would like an updated schedule to beta. Any chance of that?

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:28 am

No, Cranos is art guy, not the same person as Consultant :)

Love the article, btw, and it's this attitude that is and will make SoH such a wonderful game to play.

Thank you to all the devs :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:50 am

I personally think that big AAA MMORPG projects are a thing of the past. What we, as players, need are games tailored to our playstyles, that are fun for us. And that is every niche in the MMORPG universe. Pantheon is going to be a game that will scratch the itch for hardcore team-or-die players, CoE will be for players that want to play a character and then retire that character to start a new one with advantages supplied by the ancestor. Crowfall will be very applicable to PvP oriented players. And so on.

SoH will be applicable to the core pre-F2P CoH crowd.

None of these games need WoW level participation. And that is why many (i.e.' ones with a clear plan and good management) will succeed. They can tailor their game to their players, making it fun for everyone.

I CANNOT WAIT TO JOIN THE FUN! Especially after playing what is out there right now...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 am

GladDog: Going to reveal my dumbness, but what is "CoE"? I'm not familiar with that term.

General question: Will we be able to start subbing during Beta testing?
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:26 am

I personally think that big AAA MMORPG projects are a thing of the past. What we, as players, need are games tailored to our playstyles, that are fun for us.
'sfunny, I was just talking to a friend recently about a sadly defunct project called Metaplace. It was Raph Koster's brainchild, and I think the idea was brilliant, and still is. Unfortunately the execution was somewhat lacking (as Raph himself admits), thus it closed before really getting off the ground.

Metaplace was an attempt to online games what HTTP is for the web - it provided the core technology on which they could run. From WoW style 3d games through isometric Habbo-hotel esque virtual places to 2d scrolling shoot 'em ups, you could build these games in Metaplace (with Lua) and have all the inter-connectedness done for you. It also natively supported pulling in data from the web - one person built a Shakespeare play world. It would pull in the scripts from the web, generate characters for the names in the script then have them say the lines.

Everything was shareable, and the idea was that you could build code, graphics, sfx, etc. and sell (or give away) these in a marketplace, which people could then drag-and-drop into their projects. I was one of the community leaders on the project, and built a large collection of components for basic WASD or cursor control, inventory, health, damage, projectiles, etc. and built a number of small demo games. Unfortunately there was too little focus, with large numbers of core engine bugs going unaddressed while music groups were being hired to perform gigs in a virtual world.

It was a wonderful concept, and with the technology that exists now (AWS, etc.) is probably even easier to do. I wonder how much easier it would have been to develop SoH if they didn't need to work on any of the MMO aspect, and only focus on the RPG bit :)
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 am

Just for the record, Cranos is our master of concept art. But he also runs our website. I asked him to help me and post the article. It did not occur to me that it would show up under his name.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:13 am

GladDog: Going to reveal my dumbness, but what is "CoE"? I'm not familiar with that term.

General question: Will we be able to start subbing during Beta testing?
CoE = Chronicles of Elyria - Sorry, I was going to add the name, but I could not remember how to spell Elyria :o https://www.mmorpg.com/chronicles-of-elyria

The beta testing towards the end of 2018 will be subscription based, so the dev team will have the funds to finish the game.

Also, I should mention that City of Heroes was not much more than an Indy game. Cryptic was an independant studio that was picked up by NCsoft so they could finance finishing the game. They had a dev team of about 30 (over 50 during the final beta phase) and a budget of $8,000,000 USD, both figures that put them only a bit higher than many indy games being made right now.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am

Also, I should mention that City of Heroes was not much more than an Indy game. Cryptic was an independant studio that was picked up by NCsoft so they could finance finishing the game. They had a dev team of about 30 (over 50 during the final beta phase) and a budget of $8,000,000 USD, both figures that put them only a bit higher than many indy games being made right now.
I always like finding out something new. I always wondered how Cryptic got involved with evil incarnate.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm

TY Cranos for your comments ...

...It is an interesting time for Ship of Heroes, and for the MMORPG industry at large.....
...That is why Ship of Heroes is destined to succeed...
...We set the example for our audience; our dev team is honest and open, and reliably delivers on its promises...
...We are committed to moderating our community so that negative and destructive players will be asked to shape up or leave, allowing everyone
...else to relax and have fun...
We hope that the launch of Ship of Heroes will be more than a rebirth in the superhero MMORPG genre, that it will encourage a new path for the industry overall, for MMOs of all types. But in creating an idyllic universe where you can be a powerful character of your own flexible design, where better to start than with superheroes, and what backdrop could be more limitless than the expanse of space?
what you have said is the what is in my heart ... BUT We need to here more from the DEV's ...What Consultent or GladDog have contributed is invaluable more that UN-dust could even conceive to cover... BUT I personaly woulld like to here from the other DEV's like you Cranos ... Please...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 pm

"But being a small studio with excellent management means we do not need a World of Warcraft-style audience of millions to pay for the game, nor do we need Kickstarter funding – it would have sped up development, but we are succeeding without it."

I agree, you don't need it. However, it would be nice to have. Not to sound like a capitalist, but money is what will get this thing going. The more people paying, the better the game can become. I want near WoW numbers so we can see expansions, dlc, etc.

Toxic communities; this is why I play solo, for the most part. WoW.......literally, "WOW." I do not advise anyone to delve into endgame. I mean, if you wipe, is it the end of the world? Why is it so important to win all the time? It is like nobody plays for fun anymore.

Games where a place where you could go to relax, or un-wind. MMO, for the most part are not that place.....I shake my head when I see rage because your virtual toon got knocked out....Really... :|

I do group up in CO for alerts. I like how they handle it; you lose, respawn and go back at it. For the most part, I have not been in a toxic party in CO. The forums are a different story. DCU also has a toxic community. I mean, when you have devs taking shots at the players on the forums.... :lol:

A fish rots at the head I guess.

SirJeffery

Postby SirJeffery » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Hello everyone.

I have never been a large contributor to the forums but I feel compelled to share my experiences within the City of Heroes community and how that has impacted me as a gamer and a human being.

I watched the video interview with Positive gamer yesterday. During the video the conversation turned to community and connection. It brought back some strong memories and emotions.

I received the City of Heroes game as a Christmas present and though the box looked beautiful I had little interest. I had never even heard of the acronym MMO. It sat on my computer desk for weeks until late in January, bored, I loaded the game and was instantly enthralled.

Suddenly my computer became a resource requiring time management. My wife, and both of my sons where equally enthralled and wanted their own shot at being a super hero. We took shifts and when it was not our turn at the keyboard we where no less present exploring and enjoying the game as a family all crammed into the bedroom where my computer lived.

Soon I had purchased new computers and copies of the game for them all. My first two months of playing the game cost me in the neighborhood of $2,500. It was worth every penny.

We formed a supergroup and called ourselves the Fantastic Family of 4. I mean ... Just writing this down brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye. It was a very special time for us to bond in a shared passion for a game.

Soon we started making in game friends and we met Ven and Val, a married couple from Quebec Canada. My wife and I became very close friends with them. Then tragedy struck. Ven died suddenly of a heart attack. Val was absent for a time, understandably, but then she logged back in and reached out to us. Our friendship grew outside of the game. Some years later Val moved to California and remarried. I have my wedding invitation to this day stuck in the corner of my bedroom mirror.

There are other stories but these are the ones that pull at the heart strings and make me long for that sense of community I have yet to be able to find in any MMO I've played since. EVE came close for a time ...

My enjoyment of games has forever been colored and held to the standard the community set in City of Heroes. I look forward to recapturing that in Ship of Heroes.

Perhaps my participation in the forums will improve.

Sir Jeffery
SS/Fire tank
Sir Jeffery
SS/Fire Tank
City of Heroes vet starting at issue 2

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm

That was beautiful Sir Jeffery
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Indeed, that was very moving...

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 am

Welcome Sirjeffery... you shared...
Hello everyone.

I have never been a large contributor to the forums but I feel compelled to share my experiences within the City of Heroes community and how that has impacted me as a gamer and a human being.

I watched the video interview with Positive gamer yesterday. During the video the conversation turned to community and connection. It brought back some strong memories and emotions........
And TY for your heart pulling pulling testimony ... I did so enjoy it ... What you have eluded to is what will happen to others when the " Ship " Launches the community will be brought back-together in a wonderful way ...

I bet with even more story's just like that ... not the tragic ending part ... but a beginning of new Friends and Family part :D
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “Announcements”