Control Powers

Re: Control Powers

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 am

Oh and I had just a real bad idea for a Controller :twisted:

how about a Health-Controller?

(what about it?) healing the wrong places can immobilize or cause serious trouble in numerous ways. It can also lead to pain by cutting down the hormones at certain places (like endorphines, adrenaline etc) or stimulating the neural network of your oponent - it could also work by enhance or shut down the senses or body functions like triggering certain hormones in the bloodstream an so on :)
Has something of a Dark Defender ;)
I think with that little push as an idea there could be way more to use - I can write more if there is interest :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Gisrie

Postby Gisrie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Instead of Blind being an alternate name for Sleep, wouldn't it be cool if Blind caused the enemies to randomly fire out abilities in different directions? Something like, they can't see you, but they know that you are there somewhere so they just take their gun and shoot in random directions. Just a thought.

PaperTank

Postby PaperTank » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm

If there somehow... happens to get a Rad/Rad type power mix into the control for the buff/debuff and temp holds,slows, and chokes.... I'm going to be as happy as my avatar
When there's nothing to be gained, rising to the challenge at those times... is surely the mark... of a true hero!!

EVERYTHING IS FINE!....WHY?......I AM HERE!!!! :D :D :D :D

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm

If there somehow... happens to get a Rad/Rad type power mix into the control for the buff/debuff and temp holds,slows, and chokes.... I'm going to be as happy as my avatar
ALL MIGHT!!! I AM HERE! :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 am

Instead of Blind being an alternate name for Sleep, wouldn't it be cool if Blind caused the enemies to randomly fire out abilities in different directions? Something like, they can't see you, but they know that you are there somewhere so they just take their gun and shoot in random directions. Just a thought.
would make it to a kind of chaotic power - since we would have to jump in between to safe civilians from being hit by those stray fires ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 am

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but are there going to be augmentations, or enhancement slots for these powers? If so, you could customize these; for example: a slow power with Casting Speed slots would slow movement and attack speed.

Another example would be a drain slot, where you could drain energy or health and return it to the caster when using a control power.

And is there going to be types of control? Like a mind controller is less effective on a robot enemy.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but are there going to be augmentations, or enhancement slots for these powers? If so, you could customize these; for example: a slow power with Casting Speed slots would slow movement and attack speed.

Another example would be a drain slot, where you could drain energy or health and return it to the caster when using a control power.

And is there going to be types of control? Like a mind controller is less effective on a robot enemy.
Personally, I'd love to see everything have strengths and weaknesses to different kinds of attacks, like you mentioned mindless robots vr psy type attacks. Fire elementals vr fire attacks, etc. Then again, I'd love to see us players get some resistance to our own power sets- are you a psyonisist, master of the mind? Then it makes sense you'd have some resistance to mental attacks.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

PaperTank

Postby PaperTank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 pm

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When there's nothing to be gained, rising to the challenge at those times... is surely the mark... of a true hero!!

EVERYTHING IS FINE!....WHY?......I AM HERE!!!! :D :D :D :D

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 am

Personally, I'd love to see everything have strengths and weaknesses to different kinds of attacks, like you mentioned mindless robots vr psy type attacks. Fire elementals vr fire attacks, etc. Then again, I'd love to see us players get some resistance to our own power sets- are you a psyonisist, master of the mind? Then it makes sense you'd have some resistance to mental attacks.
you got a point here :)
yep it makes definitely sense, that there are immunities for certain powers (which the character has himself for example like you stated :) )
but then it also would be as logic to have weaknesses too - like a fire powered guy has weaknesses against one with ice or vice versa for example

Landrymat

Postby Landrymat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:06 pm

I for one love the intangibility idea. I was always fan on controllers being able to pull off that one crucial hold. And I must say in the right hands an intangibility affect is way helpful. I know in CoH there were many times when our time is knee deep in a mission and we had a couple dc's and we gt overwhelmed my too much aggro. We have one lieutenant or maybe a boss whos left and hes taking us out and our Our team is dropping like flies. And BOOM troller or defender used one of those powers. I forget what it was called in force field. Maybe force bubble? By it gave u time to rez or trade good respites while enemy just sits there unable to move.

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Please excuse all the quotes, but I really like these ideas/feedback.

If players can make themselves Intangible too, and Intangible players and enemies can fight, then sure.
Yes.

Also, the "weakness" of a slow means the debuff can be more liberally used. A power seems a little underpowered or not as useful? Add a small slow component. Again, it's an excellent low-impact balancing lever that can be added where needed.
Agreed.

Caging was once used pretty widely in pre-I13 PvP. In PvE, it often had limited use outside of soloing because it wasn't effective on AV's due the insanely high status protection.

I'm open to this idea as long as it's actually functional against boss level encounters.
YES.
My favorite character on CoH I created was a mystery man type hero illusion controller.
Same, my illusion/kin was one of my fave toons to run missions with.
The illusion controller's pets in CoH were not permanent pets, they were just another illusion power, except for maybe the most powerful one (the most powerful did stay up until you banished him). But most would only stay up for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes and then you'd have to wait another minute or two for each power to cooldown; usually the weaker "power pets" wouldn't even make it through a whole battle. My point, I guess, is except for the most powerful one, they weren't following your toon around, like if you were traveling between zones or something. Just throwing that out there when the devs are considering what to develop for a controller. I could see how programming pets to follow a character in the game could make coding more complex.
Agreed. If anything like a CoH illusion controller will exist in SoH I'd like to see them keep castable temp pets and maybe one companion (permanent) type pet.

Confuse: Confuse is unique to CoH to my knowledge (could be wrong), and is one of the most unique and interesting control effects I've ever seen. I liked the suggestion made by someone else in this thread - the idea of enemies attacking the confused individual after being attacked. I will see and raise that idea with this: It would be fantastic if you had an intelligence probability for enemies with high enough intelligence which determined whether the remaining un-confused group members would aggro and attempt to locate the source of the confusion. This could be thwarted by a caster by having invisibility or stealth. But it would add further depth and realism for being a confusion-bearing hero - i.e. that you'd have to make a conscious decision about having stealth or invis.
Love this. I agree that stealth would be a must in this case.

true - due to the similarity of the power concepts I guess it would basically just be an exchange of the optics. how the powers work on your opponent would be similar between all those powersets (could imagine, that he meant that) and therefore only what we see would differ and not all the work behind it (I assume)
YES...life made easy.

Thats the most logical approach. Would enrich gameplay/content and be more realistic.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:29 am

I don´t know if I gave my input to that already - but (again?) I am all for Intagibility :D
reaching into somebody (could be simulated by the hand disappearing into some kind of mist effect when theoretically touching the other person) or walking through people or walls would definitely be absolutely great :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:48 am

Oh and while I just mentioned it (again ;) ) about intangibility and so on -
I just had an absolute awesome idea for a control power :twisted:

A Reality Controller!

Ok sounds nice, but what can it do? All those things I have been phantasizing about could be included here
He can use teleport powers
- to teleport friends or friend groups from A to B which in this case has to be in sight (or back if they are in trouble ;) )
- to teleport opponents either to your group, up in the air or into walls or something like that (in that case we should make sure, that
enemies can still be hit in there unlike some bugs in CoH ;) )
- to teleport equipment, your opponents are using "away" (which basically means they have less firepower)
- to create reality windows (meaning opening a portal, through which you can see something far away or behind a door or around the corner)
- to create a reality gate (meaning a teleportation portal through which you can send people without yourself being there - of course you must have seen it before being able to do it)
- to create a reality pocket (a place where you can store stuff which you want to take along for your mission)
- to create a reality field (which sucks up attacks and sends them somewhere else)
- to create a reality mirror (attacks are being reflected on your opponents :) )
- to turn intangible for stealth reasons (intangible means invisible after all :) )
- to turn intangible for safety reasons - can´t be hit (only down to 33 % health possible)
- to turn your opponent intangible by shoving a little bit out of reality sync (taking him out of the fight for a short time)
- to use intangibility to walk through walls (only possible in missions for programming reasons maybe ;)?)
- to use intangibility to grab into your opponent (which would look like your hand and arm is disappearing maybe in a little optic effect)
- to use intangibility to walk through opponents (therefore causing neural shocks)

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:58 am

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keeping up with the anime. Shocked to find you are quirkless now. :ugeek:

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:07 am

[/quote]

you got a point here :)
yep it makes definitely sense, that there are immunities for certain powers (which the character has himself for example like you stated :) )
but then it also would be as logic to have weaknesses too - like a fire powered guy has weaknesses against one with ice or vice versa for example
[/quote]

Immunity or resistance to makes sense for many powers. You could also do an immunity to a power you don't have. Like Cyclops' force beams and his brother Havok's [quantum, I forget, did they decide his power was quantum?] energy beams. It has been shown that each is immune to his brother's power but can be affected by their own power if it is reflected back to them.

Now way back in the 60s, Johnny Storm Human Torch fought what he thought was the original Human Torch of the 40s, turned out that it was actually Toro and they both were able to do some damage to each other but their powers were somewhat resisted.

Or Superman, while not especially vulnerable to magic, is as affected by magic as a normal person. So he has absolutely no resistance versus magic attacks.

So every "plus" you take, you must take a "minus".

Now how you would program something like that and keep it working .... :?:

Return to “Announcements”