UE4.15.3 Engine Upgrade

Nightasy

UE4.15.3 Engine Upgrade

Postby Nightasy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm

We’re pleased to announce that we have completed the conversion of Ship of Heroes to Unreal Engine 4.15.3 from 4.14.3, as of today. We think it is important to keep our community updated on the exact engine version that we’re using to build the game so that you can all have confidence that we’re not falling behind during our pre-Alpha development program. According to EPIC Games, UE 4.15 contains at least 79 significant technical upgrades, including texture streaming, cooking blueprints to C++, and a number of changes and improvements to the sequencer functions within the engine. In our case the upgrade coincides with the planned installation of an additional, third party FX tool as well. Since UE 4.16 is the current version and 4.17 is being tested right now, we want to stay current. It’s quite likely that we will upgrade again to 4.16 before the end of 2017.

Country Strong

Re: UE4.15.3 Engine Upgrade

Postby Country Strong » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:06 pm

I'll have to say, you guys are definitely doing a great job on keeping is informed. Thanks for the update!

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:49 pm

As Country Strong said, it is the little details like this that builds confidence and trust. Keep it up!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 pm

I agree with everyone. We are always informed. Thanks.

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:09 am

cooking blueprints to C++
Well, that sounds like it could be a serious time-saver! :D

Thanks for the update :)

Philosopher

Postby Philosopher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Sooo.. For us mortal men, who know nothing about coding and the likes. What does this mean?

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Sooo.. For us mortal men, who know nothing about coding and the likes. What does this mean?
I take a lot of that as it will reduce the amount of effort it will take to optimise things. Should reduce some timescales on development pipelines somewhat although I'm always a bit suspicious of anything that says it will create code for you as it tends to be tricky to interpret and support - there are multiple ways of skinning a cat so it doesn't always do it the way your team would!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Nightsasy
kept up the good work ... i'm hope'n your effort will be rewarded with ... well ... a grate pay off ( this goes for all you DEV's !!
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Sessair

Postby Sessair » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:12 am

You guys rock! :-)

PersonalDK

Postby PersonalDK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:54 am

I take a lot of that as it will reduce the amount of effort it will take to optimise things. Should reduce some timescales on development pipelines somewhat although I'm always a bit suspicious of anything that says it will create code for you as it tends to be tricky to interpret and support - there are multiple ways of skinning a cat so it doesn't always do it the way your team would!
That makes sense. Thank you. But what about the upgrade itself. I'm guessing it's not as easy as when we get a java-update, but not as horrifying as when you upgrade to a different system.?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 am

Most Indie developers use one of the big engines (like we do) because making your own game engine is a serious challenge. When a team is making a game the engine developer upgrades the engine periodically (like every few months -- OMG, I almost wrote "moths"). The team has to decide to keep up or to fall behind. But the engine ecosystem of programmers, artists, animators, etc., will be keeping up. So if we want to be able to buy stuff easily, and also to use the newest, coolest engine features, the dev team needs to keep up as well.

Each upgrade solves code issues from previous versions and adds new features. At some point, most Indie teams stop upgrading and settle on an engine version -- usually just before launch. It is important to know which version a team is using for a game because while the engine may advance, once the devs stop upgrading, they have a fixed set of engine features unless they want to edit the engine code themselves (extra work, and somewhat risky). And there is a transparency issue -- dev teams should be explicit about the version they are using because the ability to regularly upgrade without re-starting the entire project is a core development skill.

We have a process for upgrading in which we duplicate SoH and then test our working game prototype in the new version before upgrading. There's a lot more to it, of course. It can take from a few hours to a few days, depending. We are fast followers. We like to stay one engine version behind the latest, to understand exactly what has been changed, and that the new version is completely stable. but we also do some work in more advanced versions -- we're developing two items in 4.16 right now, for example -- so that future integration is simplified.

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am

Consultant, while we're talking engines and development, would you like to address the claims that your project is nothing more than a wholesale asset purchase? I know it isn't, but this is one of the criticisms I hear from people. Again, I know that this is not the case at all, but for the skeptics, what is the design and development process like, especially as it relates to asset purchase? I'd imagine it makes your life a whole lot easier, but how do you balance that with making an original game unto itself?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:41 am

LOL, we're the guys who are NOT a wholesale asset purchase. We make our own buildings, our own level (no $40 street-builder program for us), our own costumes, and our own animations (flight for example, custom made just for us) and our own FX. We buy stuff too, of course, but we are more custom than the majority of games and the most highly customized new hero game we know.

Look at the interior maps other Indies use. Generally they are bought from the Unreal or Unity marketplaces. We, on the other hand, designed our layout and look, then bought some pieces, made some pieces, and assembled the pieces ourselves to reflect the unique interior environment we want to show, took control of lighting and post-processing in house...we are actually building our own proprietary asset base. No one has, or can have what we are showing because it is uniquely ours.

It's a quality issue really. There are some good assets available to buy. But not nearly enough to make an MMO. Maybe 5% of what one might need, at a high quality level. Only a few assets meet our quality standards, so we have to build our own. Does someone think we got the Arch from a Marketplace pack? Or any of our hero costumes? Or our circular city map? Or our character models? Hair? Unique character eyes with "Made in Apotheosis City" under the iris? Cyborg arms and legs? Powers Testing Center? Can someone actually claim that we added a plugin to get the teaming with persistence code? Well we did not.

We are the guys making the unique game, the one that is different.

For example, next month we'll be showing major improvements to the Science Park area of Apotheosis City. Why then? Because it takes months to create new buildings, install custom collision, get the textures right, give the three-dimensional flair that makes it look like a real city, not a set of box building set down on a curved road. We have an architectural style with curves in the buildings, linked roads and elevated walkways, skyscrapers, curved bridges, etc. that did not come out of a box -- we made it from scratch.

Did this address your question, or were you,looking more for process, rather than assets?

Solari

Postby Solari » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 am

Well that was an interesting post because I'd read the exact same thing elsewhere. I may even have been guilty of believing it.

Basically it was suggested that the reason so much progress had been made so quickly was because you guys had used a tonne of purchased assets to build the game world whereas the likes of VO and CoT had been building everything from scratch.

Fake news! :p

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

Did this address your question, or were you,looking more for process, rather than assets?
Yes, this was perfect, thanks!! I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste this next time someone makes this ridiculous claim. :D
Last edited by Kid Rad on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Announcements”