UE4.15.3 Engine Upgrade

Kid Rad

Re: UE4.15.3 Engine Upgrade

Postby Kid Rad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 am

Also, if you think about it, it speaks volumes to the quality of work you guys are putting out. So good some people can't even believe you did it all yourself. :roll:

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

Alright! Consultant's getting fired up! I like it! :D If only we could go beat up some aliens, right now! woot!

Seriously, I've had to deal with similar claims about SoH. Don't get me wrong. I believe. I have since I started reading these forums back in January. I hope you don't mind if I quote your response on that as well.

And last but certainly not least, I think everyone here agrees that you and the team are doing an amazing job! Thank you on behalf of all of us! You- gentlemen and lady- are the true heroes.
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Solari

Postby Solari » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Alright! Consultant's getting fired up! I like it! :D
Oh yes, I enjoyed that post too! :D

I've shared some videos to my old supergroup forum - I managed to discover them by pure chance a while back as they are playing different games with the same name. Hopefully I can drag them into SoH on Go-Live, even if I have to buy them all a month's sub to convince them!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm

If I may say the engine is UE4 and its allows for any one to make a game ...but what you put into the game is the " Intellectual Propriety "
UE4 is just a tool , and the DEV's from SOH have put into there Development the intelligence of what is going to be SOH ...

DEV's you kept up the Grate work ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 am

Thank you all. I am excited by the future for Ship of Heroes and passionate about the unique superhero game we're creating. We've actually reached a kind of milestone in development -- we're going to start showing you all what has changed, rather than what has been built, in the next few videos. Additions to the CCT, additions to Apotheosis City, new code features, and additional powersets for example.

We have a prototype of SoH that works. Now we need to build it out in a systematic manner to create enough capability and content to have a really fun Beta in 2018.

So over the next few months you'll see us gradually transitioning from our original message of explaining that we were going to make a new superhero MMO, to our new message about why Ship of Heroes will be fun to play.

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Lol, you don't have to be shy Consultant. tell us how you really feel!

I'll chime into this thread since I am probably the most to blame for any purchased assets from the Unreal Marketplace or anywhere else. I started working on the city from scratch, so yeah, it's a bit disheartening when people think it was just a giant package we bought somewhere.

Do we buy props, core FX or wall sets and such to speed things up? Yep! Will we continue to do so? Yep! What's important, as others have pointed out, is what you do with those bits and pieces. You can drop them in, as is, or you can use them like lego blocks to build your own creations.

Think of it this way: any prop or model or whatever that is sold on the market, was built by a freelance artist somewhere. The whole point of a marketplace for a game engine is that people can create assets that will help others as they put together a game. It's basically small scale outsourcing.

I've been working in games for 25 years now, and I think most people would be surprised to learn how much art is supplied by freelancers and outsourcers, even at the big game studios.

Yet there's still a stigma attached if you didn't shape every single polygon by yourself.

Here's how it works:
When you need a whole bunch of assets created for your game, your options are:

1) Build everything yourself from scratch. This is certainly possible, but takes huge amounts of time. If I had built from scratch every single surface of all buildings, props, and general assets, you wouldn't be reading this right now, because we wouldn't have yet announced the game. The level would still be under construction, and in its early stages.

2) Hire an army of talented artists. Problem solved! That's what the big studios do, after all. I don't think I've ever worked in a studio that had less than ten artists. Pay them all a salary of 50k a year, (a salary that's on the low side) and in a year's time, you've burned through half a million dollars. And that's just for the art. Yikes!

3) Find and buy some existing assets to help speed things up. This is the route I prefer. You're helping other artists who have gone to the trouble of building some of the things in the hopes they'll be useful to someone out there. But I also try to combine them in unique ways, so we avoid cookie-cutter looks with any other games that may have bought that same asset. Would I prefer to build every item myself? Absolutely. But I also want to stick to a schedule that will allow us to get a real game out there!

So, my apologies to those who might be offended by the use of purchased assets, but I think if done right, you will probably never even notice the difference as you're flying through the streets of Apotheosis.

In fact, I've been a little disappointed at how hard it is to even find assets of the quality we're after.
Try this:

Go to the Unreal Market place and do a search for "futuristic city buildings" and see what you come up with.

Here, I've even provided a link:
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplac ... 0buildings

Even finding stuff is hard!

-Gooch

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 am

Thanks for the in put Nightasy Grate to here from you Kept up the good work ...

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks, Gooch! That's a lot of really good insight. We need it to convince the skeptics how much crow they're going to eat! ;)
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks, Gooch! That's a lot of really good insight. We need it to convince the skeptics how much crow they're going to eat! ;)
OOOH PowerAce there is going to be a whole banquet hall filled with multiple murders ... black feathers flying all over and ...
scrambled eggs on all the skeptics faces at that banquet hall ... in SOH honner

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am

OOOH PowerAce there is going to be a whole banquet hall filled with multiple murders ... black feathers flying all over and ...
scrambled eggs on all the skeptics faces at that banquet hall ... in SOH honner
You know it, Eulb! It's going to be great! I'll bring the popcorn! :D

Return to “Announcements”