Operation Valhalla Keys Have Been Sent

Consultant

Operation Valhalla Keys Have Been Sent

Postby Consultant » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 am

Late last night, or early this morning we sent the keys for the new event which takes place tomorrow.

This is an invasion test.

Personally, I have played it more times than I can count. I still think it is fun! We're all hoping that you guys think so too. there will be video posted eventually, and a couple of people will likely stream the event.

Let me mention something: We were not sure how many would want to come to an invasion test. We were hoping to get 30-50 to sign up and come. Tis was a bit of a last-minute thing. The first day after the announcement, only 8 signed up. Now we are past 200 who are planning to come. That is probably too many for the event, so we will likely do run after run, and start at 10:30, with runs until 12:30. That's the new plan. So it is possible that we will need to have some people go kill stuff in the Science Park or the Hazard Zone while we do some runs, just so we don't completely crush the server.

But don't worry. We will take everyone on a run, and we will repeat this event so that if something goes wrong, we can give participants a chance. And there are some guys who could not make it today -- they need a chance too.

So come on down tomorrow morning. It's going to be fun. :)

And expect to be killed a few times. I was. Oh, and infusions and augments are free during this event. I think I used 80 infusions on the last run we did...regen boost, damage boost, healing...these are all your friends.

Enjoy!

lunawisp

Re: Operation Valhalla Keys Have Been Sent

Postby lunawisp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm

The first day after the announcement, only 8 signed up.
Well, I didn't sign up because there was no indication of where or how to do so... Guess I must have missed something...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Big blue button on the home page of this website. :)

It is not too late.

Or you can join us later. We will repeat the event.

olepi

Postby olepi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:19 pm

I signed up, but didn't get a key. The SoH launcher from before starts downloading the game however.

Does that mean I get to play? Or do we need a special key?

Bottom left has 1.4.1.4, guessing that is the version number.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Voidblazer

Postby Voidblazer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 pm

I check back every couple of days, so I think maybe I don't even pay attention to the home screen? I go straight to news or the forums. There is, in fact, a large button on the home screen for this event! T'were it a snake, t'would've bit me! :D
Life is like an anole. Sometimes it's green, and sometimes it's brown, but it's always a small Caribbean lizard.

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:49 pm

same, didnt notice the button.. signed up though after i read this

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Oh good grief, I didn't notice that! Thankyou!
I signed up but are you sure you want someone who can't see a flamin great blue button at a range of three feet!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:01 am

Fortunately, there will be some really big enemies, that you just cannot miss!

LOL, I did not recall that people could just update their old version...I was a tester for the instructions, so i deleted my old version and downloaded anew.

Has anyone updated their old version and then jumped into the city and confirmed that it worked?

It ought to...I just did not test it.

So YES, we want you to come. :)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 am

I just started up the old client launcher and it's patching now, 7421.4 MB. It's doing it at a very slow rate though (less then 1Mbps) so it's going to take a while. Don't know if it'll let me in when it's finally done, will I need a new key? Guess I'll find out... hopefully some time today.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:29 am

If you just updated your old game version and did not delete and install afresh, you might have a problem. there is a new .dll that this version of the engine requires. You might have it from another game, so we cannot know in advance if you will be all right.

The thing to do is to jump into the game and go kill a couple of bad guys. If it works, you are golden.

If not, you either need to update the dll file from microsoft, or download everything again. I would go for the dll myself...but it is up to you.

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

That's the direct link from Microsoft, as i understand it.

And yes, when one of our devs used the option you are describing he did need the new key...but that is quick to get if you follow the instructions.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 am

Key just arrived via email. I've registered that. I'll let the thing update and see how it goes, I'll let you know if it works. I'm on unlimited fibre so if I have to download it all again it won't be a problem (apart from the wasted time). I've grabbed that VC++ runtime and installed it just in case. I'll see you ingame eventually - can't believe how slow the download is though - feels like it's using semaphore.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:49 am

lol. I usually don't look at the home screen either usually straight to the forums. so I missed that completely also.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:19 pm

I apologize, I thought the test was this afternoon! I should actually look at the (not so) fine print next time!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:37 pm

I apologize, I thought the test was this afternoon! I should actually look at the (not so) fine print next time!
lol. same. I thought 11:00 but was only on a bit. two crashes and I had to leave.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:53 pm

It worked. Just ran the launcher. It updated and eight hours after starting I managed to log in. I missed the big event so I didn't stay long.

At launch you're going to need far more bandwidth for updates, 8 hours for 7GB is pretty poor!

Return to “Announcements”