"Developer Videos"?

Consultant

"Developer Videos"?

Postby Consultant » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:58 am

We have a question for the community. Is it smart for us to publish what we call developer videos?

As explanation, we create videos all of the time showing features, upgrades, changes, etc. Some are kind of trivial. But they all show progress, and some are actually pretty exciting (at least to us, as devs).

I've not heard of a dev team actually showing off developer videos, but I'm sure there must have been a couple somewhere.

But do we want to do this? Some in our community feel burned by other projects they have backed over the years, and are potentially going to be upset to see this or that feature improved, but not finalized.

No matter what we do, we will still show the more polished videos we have been making for a couple of years now.

GladDog

Re: "Developer Videos"?

Postby GladDog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 am

IMO one 'progress update' a month should be a good amount. Even if it is just gameplay with narration talking about the update, which may or may not involve the video, I would be fine with that. Or, if you have a video showing three accomplished goals, that would be awesome as well!

That said, this is just my opinion. Anyone else care to chime in?
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am

I agree with an update about once a month. I personally really like all the videos, and I like seeing progress. We all want the game to come out yesterday, but I realize that is unrealistic. The videos, even "Dev videos" act like a nice appetizer for me, helping me hold out for the main course (the game). Hopefully, seeing progress helps others who have been burned in the past. Keep up the good work and I hope the one Dev is feeling better!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:12 pm

We have a question for the community. Is it smart for us to publish what we call developer videos?

As explanation, we create videos all of the time showing features, upgrades, changes, etc. Some are kind of trivial. But they all show progress, and some are actually pretty exciting (at least to us, as devs).

I've not heard of a dev team actually showing off developer videos, but I'm sure there must have been a couple somewhere.

But do we want to do this? Some in our community feel burned by other projects they have backed over the years, and are potentially going to be upset to see this or that feature improved, but not finalized.

SoH videos are what brought me and many others to this site. Personally I love that you show progress. SoH is in a unique place unlike your direct competitors (for lack of a better word) who have been at this for nearly 8 years.

Heroic Games has skyrocketed past them all in the few short years you have been around - with no kick-starter funds.

personally I think the videos show Heroic Games as being very competent and the front runner in the successor race.

(yes even the dancing robot one).

for nostalgia purposes you should do another dancing robot video before launch.

show the videos. we love them.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:57 pm

I loved the dancing video, an updated one before launch would be great!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:28 pm

the dancing robot should be a weekly feature when the game goes live. - follow the dancing robot and get a badge.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Great idea! And think of the cool screen shots with the dancing bot and your characters! I really do like the videos, they brought me here too (and help fill the hole that the loss of COH created)

POSSUMNUTS

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 pm

IMO one 'progress update' a month should be a good amount. Even if it is just gameplay with narration talking about the update, which may or may not involve the video, I would be fine with that. Or, if you have a video showing three accomplished goals, that would be awesome as well!

That said, this is just my opinion. Anyone else care to chime in?
Agreed. Word for word. Perfectly stated. What is the top number of views a SoH video has received? I want to know how many eyes are on this project

Ridgeman

Postby Ridgeman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Anything game related that you get excited about, all of us fans will get excited about.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Crafting is somewhat important at game start, but very important later on in the games life cycle. ;)
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Agree with what has been said here already. A monthly video release of any kind would be great.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:14 am

Man.....I have not crafted in a mmo in some time. Crafting makes an mmo more lively, or alive. Like, if some of the best weapons were crafted. Some we have several Black Panther, Bat-men, or Tony Starks within the game who gives us some HQ tech. Or some Emeril Chefs who gives HQ foods. Maybe even breeders who have HQ pets for the commanders.

Oh, & yes to any video.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:19 am

People aren't burned because there are videos. People are burned when there is nothing else than videos. When they're not sure whether there is actually a game studio or just a very good movie studio.

As long as you invite some gaming sites to log on and look at some of your new stuff a couple times a year you should avoid that suspicion, and the videos will probably serve to nourish the faithful. Maybe even bring in a few dollar here and there, so if you make them anyway, I don't think you have much to lose from them. Just make it very clear that these are from the early development of the game and do NOT represent the finished product, in case they show up in someone's YouTube queue years later, Perhaps call them "alpha production video" or something.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:13 am

Good thinking, we will probably change the name of the videos.

And one of the things we are looking at right now is getting a more less useable Alpha Map that we could use for game writer interviews, as a kind of live tour site. That will take a couple of months, but it is on the docket.

In fact, one of the unpolished candidate videos we're thinking of showing is an update on the path to that milestone.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:28 am

Good thinking, we will probably change the name of the videos.

And one of the things we are looking at right now is getting a more less useable Alpha Map that we could use for game writer interviews, as a kind of live tour site. That will take a couple of months, but it is on the docket.

In fact, one of the unpolished candidate videos we're thinking of showing is an update on the path to that milestone.
Does a useable Alpha Map have NPC's on it? I know it's pressing things, but that'd really be cool for interviewing too :D ;)
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Return to “Announcements”