Kickstarter is Cancelled

Codex

Re: Kickstarter is Cancelled

Postby Codex » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:40 pm

One encouraging sign I see recently is that there seems to be a good number of new names registered after the Kickstarter. It seems that did a nice job in getting the word out. If the mentions in Social Media continue, we could really gain a lot of momentum.

Another thing I've seen a lot of recently is the mention of SoH in CoH videos in YouTube video discussions.

People are getting the word out.
aka Backer 68

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:59 pm

I'll put a little extra aside for a while so I can boost my support for this game when the next fund raising event happens.

I'm still looking for my "go-to" game and resorted to buying a PS4 Pro to tide me over until I find something with a solid community.

Get that character creator accessible online guys and the support will pour in. I'm actually now cynical about the idea of standalone as it doesn't tie people into the project. Processing power for a character creator should be minimal and easily fulfilled by cheap rented servers.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Remember the adage "It only takes one person to mess it up for everyone." CoT were not the first to damage the image of Kickstarer, but they destroyed it for the CoH faithful. People are not buying into this notion of donating and waiting. Why is that? CoT and VO donators have been waiting for years.

CoT donators have not touched the game which was a KS project in 2013. The basic principal is, when investments are made, people expect a return, VO and CoT fans have not gotten one.

Knowing what you know about these two kickstarter projects, would you donate to the next "Successor?" No, most will not sadly.

SoH has to release something tangible sadly. in SoH, emphasis is placed on not over promising, do not promise or even allude to something which cannot be delivered. This displays honesty and transparency.

This could actually be a good thing, maybe SoH will rewrite how you are to fund a game. This could weed out those who are merely throwing darts hoping one lands, but allow the SoH's of the world to accomplish their goal. It could bring integrity to funding, there is no integrity in KS. KS has a damaged image and reputation, and the games before SoH did no favors to how the funding site is viewed.

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 pm

One more thing, you guys need to get a bit more awareness in the EU market. :)

CoH had a fantastic EU community and you need to ensure that you reach the guys from union, zukunft et Al.
Last edited by Solari on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Codex

Postby Codex » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Remember the adage "It only takes one person to mess it up for everyone." CoT were not the first to damage the image of Kickstarer, but they destroyed it for the CoH faithful. People are not buying into this notion of donating and waiting. Why is that? CoT and VO donators have been waiting for years.
One thing I would suggest to show people that there is work being done is a weekly update. Heroes and Villains has a pretty consistent update on their website. I think if SoH were to provide a weekly update even if it were a couple of sentences or bullet points on weekly basis, it would help build momentum.
aka Backer 68

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:51 pm

One thing I would suggest to show people that there is work being done is a weekly update. Heroes and Villains has a pretty consistent update on their website. I think if SoH were to provide a weekly update even if it were a couple of sentences or bullet points on weekly basis, it would help build momentum.
A weekly update would be good.

As to a playable Alpha, perhaps letting it be F2P for a week, then activate a subscription (with some perks for paying) will help bring in some players.

Dakosan

Postby Dakosan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 pm

OMG, Take My MONEY!!! FOR THE LOVE OF G_D!!!

Dakosan

Postby Dakosan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Seriously, Trot down to the local Post Office, open a PO BOX, and post the info here...

... or PM me a address (no, not from you Flagwaver, ....), i'll cut a check and mail it out tomorrow...

Meridian

Postby Meridian » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm

All I can say is , if you start a Patreon.... I'll be there. Day one. :D
You've already said you can set up your website to accept donations.
Don't start a Patreon.
There's no reason to give up 5% of the proceeds, plus the added administrative hassles of involving a third party and their rules. That's time better spent elsewhere.
The community that is here now, and willing to donate now, doesn't need a third party.

Later, for a full launch, obviously you want a big name third-party site like KS or Indiegogo [or Steam] involved with all the advantages that entails.

You've said you won't do Steam EA and that is absolutely the only decision until the game is fun and playable. If you put a game into EA and it gets negative reviews, that hole is hard to dig out of.
If you change your minds, you could do it then, but not one minute sooner.

P.S. Canceling the Kickstarter must have been stressful (if not painful) but it was the right decision, showing patience and maturity. I'm sure there are people on the outside unfamiliar with SoH who see that and infer something negative, but for me, it increases my respect for the game and the team.

Dakosan

Postby Dakosan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:26 pm

it increases my respect for the game and the team.
couldn't agree more.

The-Pendragon

Postby The-Pendragon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:30 am

I can understand your caution...and that you chose to slow things a bit and tighten up the initial launch. Kickstart is a great service...but can be quite a frustrating ordeal when unforseen delays get involved (i.e. CTHULHU WARS Onslaught 2 is over a year beyond their projected release and they are finally in the home stretch...yet got tripped up by Chinese New Year at the last minute.)

I had intended to back your project this week...and was disappointed that it was down. However...I am in agreement with the others if you were to set up a donation page of somekind. I am hoping that if you do that...you give donators similar access as mentioned for KS backers....since we got cut off before we could join.
@The-Pendragon

Senior Knight Captain -Paragonian Knights -Virtue
Lord High Inquisitor -Rogue Knights -Virtue
Captain -Original Sin -Virtue
Captain -Concrete Gurus -Guardian
Kommandur -DIE WACHT AM RHEIN -Guardian

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am

A weekly update would be good.
This is a great idea, actually. A "here's what we've done this week" kind of thing. Even if it's just "Added windows to office building 1 and upgraded the shadow of flying characters." It'll let people know that you're still plugging away.
(no, not from you Flagwaver, ....)
What did I do?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Just to get it in there, I'd donate as well if you set something up on the wed site.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 am

We will absolutely set something up to allow donations, and probably expand the options over time. We think we will get feedback from all of you as to what you'd like to see, and there's no real reason to suppose that all of the most brilliant ideas will emerge in the first week, so we are thinking we will just set up a system that tracks how much each person has given, including funds given in their name.

That way, if (just for example) $100 given nets you one month of the super-temp-power "Glowie Cape" at launch, it won't matter if that was three different contributions over 14 months -- you get the cape. :)

My goodness, I just wrote "moths" instead of "months." Not again...

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am

We will absolutely set something up to allow donations, and probably expand the options over time. We think we will get feedback from all of you as to what you'd like to see, and there's no real reason to suppose that all of the most brilliant ideas will emerge in the first week, so we are thinking we will just set up a system that tracks how much each person has given, including funds given in their name.

That way, if (just for example) $100 given nets you one month of the super-temp-power "Glowie Cape" at launch, it won't matter if that was three different contributions over 14 months -- you get the cape. :)

My goodness, I just wrote "moths" instead of "months." Not again...
Just say when and I will comply.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Return to “Announcements”