Kickstarter is Cancelled

Flagwaver

Re: Kickstarter is Cancelled

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Why not start with the same thing COH had ?

The "starter zone" introduced you to your hero. You ran around a few blocks of an instanced world killing stuff and gaining a few levels (maybe 3?..I'm sorry it has been a while). Then you were transported to Atlas Park to begin your adventure.

Why not give us ...
1. Character creator to play with
2. "Starter Zone"...its only a few levels but man...I could spend a lot of time playing there!!
3. An "Atlas Park" zone. Meet and build our community.
You're talking about Outbreak. Yeah, but jazz it up for SoH. Make it the shuttle port on the ship. You get off the shuttle just in time to stop a minor alien invasion. Make it like the Outbreak with an open area to defeat aliens in (100 for a badge), a delivery mission, and a quick indoor mission to disconnect the enemy dropship. Then, you get transported to Apotheosis City.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:57 am

The "starter zone" introduced you to your hero. You ran around a few blocks of an instanced world killing stuff and gaining a few levels (maybe 3?..I'm sorry it has been a while). Then you were transported to Atlas Park to begin your adventure.

Why not give us ...
2. "Starter Zone"...its only a few levels but man...I could spend a lot of time playing there!!
You're talking about Outbreak. Yeah, but jazz it up for SoH. Make it the shuttle port on the ship. You get off the shuttle just in time to stop a minor alien invasion. Make it like the Outbreak with an open area to defeat aliens in (100 for a badge), a delivery mission, and a quick indoor mission to disconnect the enemy dropship. Then, you get transported to Apotheosis City.
Yes...you guys are getting it.

To start, Apotheosis City dose not even have to have enemies in it. Just give us a place to explore and meet other community members.

Heck..I bet we even set up races, costume contests, hide-n-seek (ugh my little girl made me play this with her all the time in COH), ect...

Just a place for others to see what you are building...and "IT IS HAPPENING!!"

So many people are waiting, afraid to dip their toes into SOH (or any of the COH successors for that matter)...but give them something "in their hands" and they will commit.

broxen

Postby broxen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:57 am

I will be happy to donate what i can. Wont be a huge amount but something anyway.

Also as almost more of a joke suggestion then anything else. But someone needs to reach out to Samuel L Jackson to do a voice over. Because you know, he's in everything. Would be pretty awesome. (Disclaimer, i don't expect this to ever happen lol)
Y'know....a celebrity voice over to narrate the intro of the game would be nice. Though unless we find one that is a fan of CoH that wants to do this pro bono.......
I'm sure there were some but i doubt it would be easy to find. Not like they go around announcing their hobbies (Generally.) Would be cool if they could find someone, even if it was just a well liked youtube star or something.
Ed Robertson from Barenaked Ladies is a fan. Or would seem to be based upon his Red vs. Blue skit.
-Broxen

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:29 am

Why not give us ...

Heck..I bet we even set up races, costume contests, hide-n-seek (ugh my little girl made me play this with her all the time in COH), ect...

Sounds like CO, meaning it can work. CO is a huge costume contest.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 am

Seriously, if you can make the first 20 levels as close to the CoH experience as possible (with slower leveling), I think it'd be for the best. Street sweeps, instanced missions, some open "dungeons" (CoH sewers), travel powers started at 5 and attained at 10 (bit earlier than CoH). If you're keeping it to Apotheosis City for release, I'd try to make it as similar to CoH as possible + your scifi setting.

lividya

Postby lividya » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:19 am

It seems to me that right now the community has Paragon Chat where the max level is zero, there are two travel powers and no realistic chance of fighting a mob without incurring a lawsuit from NCSoft. Furthermore, a lot of people have moved on to other games and have lost interest in a game like CoH. The people visiting these forums are an obvious exception and are awesome. Anyway, some people (myself included) would be willing to pay a subscription for something like PC that has a team of developers working on content. One potential downside is the developers might be paying a decent amount of their proceeds in licensing fees for the engine and such. I have no idea how the licensing works.

I do think that development team needs to be very focused and aware of funding. I’ve always felt that CoT and VO would have done better with a staged launch where they capped the initial level at something quite low. They could then raise the cap every few months as they develop content. If that translated into a chat program for the first few months, followed by the equivalent of Out Break, followed the Atlas Park and then Kings Row that might have worked. We have empirical evidence that the model that both have selected – going for a lot of content at release – was very clearly impossible with their resources and timeline.

Finally, I think it is also important to avoid the new map pitfall of VO. I’ve played most of their pre-alpha releases, which quite often feature yet another new and unfinished map. At some point, an indie game needs to focus on a small set of achievable goals. The same thing goes for powers – VO has a decent number of options on paper – but not all of them appear to work. In particular, I know that the shadow powers were broken for me, which sucks since I played a Defender. I would rather just not have the powers at all and forced to play a scrapper then to have broken powers.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:53 pm

We’ve decided to cancel the current Kickstarter, and jump straight back into development of Ship of Heroes, putting out steady progress updates and raising awareness of the game. Since we won’t have Kickstarter funding as a resource, we're going to enable our most committed supporters to donate on our website. Meanwhile, we'll focus on core features, scaling our development to the amount of money available. We’ll limit the initial Ship of Heroes launch to missions and enemies in the already-built level, Apotheosis City, and to the first 20 levels of character advancement.
Hey y'all, sorry been a few days for me.

Yeah, can't say I'm surprised this got cancelled. Disappointing, but was I think a little optimistic.

What do we need? Something playable AND polished.

VO has playable, after a fashion, but looks terrible.

Get me Apotheosis City, with 5-10 levels of street-sweeping, on top of the character designer, and I will start subscribing instantly.

Videos are great, for those of us that have seen them. Your communication on these boards are great, for those of us that read them.

Unfortunately, at this point, people are far too damn cynical to support anything until they can see it and play it for themselves. Do not think of a standard "release". Get something playable with polish up, anything, let those of us who are willing start subscribing .

Maybe a Minecraft style subscription system? The earlier you sign up for it, the cheaper it is - those of us who have been following for a while, and have built that trust in your product can subscribe right now. Start building veterancy, earn badges, whatever. You get some regular, reliable cash coming in. That lets you build the next bit, release it and up the subscription for newcomers. Bam. You're slowly building trust, people get something playable to physically show their friends, and word-of-mouth builds.

Seriously, give me a $5-a-month subscription option *right damn now* that will start veteran rewards ticking and give me a shot at the first version of SoH you deem playable for non-devs (or the character creator with an import/export option regardless of the state it's in) and I'm on it.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Draxion

Postby Draxion » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Seriously, give me a $5-a-month subscription option *right damn now* that will start veteran rewards ticking and give me a shot at the first version of SoH you deem playable for non-devs (or the character creator with an import/export option regardless of the state it's in) and I'm on it.
I think this is a great idea. +1 for the immediate sub suggestion.

Also, in terms of what you should launch with, I'm one of those Sadists who thought the Hollows was some of the best content in CoH. Give me a starter zone and something similar to the Frostfire/Atta missions and I'd be very happy. If the missions were repeatable to farm dust, (or whatever) then that's me happy for at least 12 months.

Wulfman

Postby Wulfman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Hey y'all, sorry been a few days for me.

Yeah, can't say I'm surprised this got cancelled. Disappointing, but was I think a little optimistic.

What do we need? Something playable AND polished.

VO has playable, after a fashion, but looks terrible.

Get me Apotheosis City, with 5-10 levels of street-sweeping, on top of the character designer, and I will start subscribing instantly.

Videos are great, for those of us that have seen them. Your communication on these boards are great, for those of us that read them.

Unfortunately, at this point, people are far too damn cynical to support anything until they can see it and play it for themselves. Do not think of a standard "release". Get something playable with polish up, anything, let those of us who are willing start subscribing .

Maybe a Minecraft style subscription system? The earlier you sign up for it, the cheaper it is - those of us who have been following for a while, and have built that trust in your product can subscribe right now. Start building veterancy, earn badges, whatever. You get some regular, reliable cash coming in. That lets you build the next bit, release it and up the subscription for newcomers. Bam. You're slowly building trust, people get something playable to physically show their friends, and word-of-mouth builds.

This...as soon asit's available, i'm in.

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Disappointed to see the Kickstarter cancelled, but I understand the reasons.

Glad to see development keeps rolling along. Starting with a level cap of 20 is fine so long as content is polished. Get a couple of fun repeatable missions to do, while adding new maps and slowly increase the level cap every few months.

Still want to support the game, and willing to donate the money, and my time to help the devs. Whether it be just street sweeping with powersets to test or making NPCs with the Character Creator to populate Apotheosis City, I am willing to help.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:33 am

I totally mirror what Jester said. I'd be very excited and enthusiastic about supporting SoH as soon as feasible if some kind of veteran/early supporter system can be implemented. It seems like there are a few dozen of us dedicated forum posters here who would happily do the same and prop up the game in its early stages.

Wulfman

Postby Wulfman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 am

I totally mirror what Jester said. I'd be very excited and enthusiastic about supporting SoH as soon as feasible if some kind of veteran/early supporter system can be implemented. It seems like there are a few dozen of us dedicated forum posters here who would happily do the same and prop up the game in its early stages.
Yuppers!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 am

This is very helpful feedback from all of you. I've had two meeting this morning (an another one this afternoon) to work out details of what the next milestone needs to be, and your comments help us focus. Thank you all.

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm so happy to see this kickstarter come back stronger, might even be able to help more next time! keeping honest and open with what people should be expecting for the first instance of the game will definitely help with the growing in the right directions.

Dablueeagle

Postby Dablueeagle » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

All I can say is , if you start a Patreon.... I'll be there. Day one. :D

Return to “Announcements”